Magnums and those who use em

USP45usp

I just thought of something... and something that I haven't done. NAA .22 mag., can it fire .22LR? I have a .357 that will fire both a .38 and a .357mag shell. I have a .44 mag, which will fire a .44special and mag. I have a Marlin that will fire .357mag and .38. What about the NAA .22 mag, will it fire, and hold up, to a .22lr round? I just thought of this and never tried it.. but with magnum rounds converting to lower rounds... is this feasible?

USP45usp

Hal

George! Shame on you!

DON"T DO IT
fire a .22lr in a 22mag chamber that is! The .22magnum is has a larger diameter case, and there is a very real possibilty the smaller .22lr case will rupture. There are some convertible revolvers, Ruger and H&R to name 2 that have .22mag and .22lr cylinders. In a .22lr cylinder, .22CB, .22short, .22long and .22lr are safe to chamber and fire. The .22mag is longer and larger and won't fit in the .22lr chamber.
The .38special and the .357 magnum use the same diameter case,but the magnum case is longer. Same with the .44Russian, .44Special and the .44Magnum. All three of these share a common case diameter.

Henry Bowman

.22LR in .22 Magnum Chambers-

Actually George answered the question asked, can one shoot the .22LR in a .22 Magnum chamber? Yes it works but the brass normally splits and accuracy is poor...henry

Hal

Henry,
I won't split hairs on this, but any unsafe practice, in my book, is an act of sheer stupidity. The NAA is a very small frame gun, leaving a great deal of the shooters hand exposed to possible harm. Using the wrong ammunition is just plain **** stupid, as is anyone that advocates it.

Henry Bowman

Name Calling????

Greetings from Anchorage, RAE I'd suggest you send some time at the range. It's terrific for the libido and the nerves, mellow out. It's a .22LR not a 454 Casull, the brass in totally contained in the cylinder which is much thicker than the car antennas we used for barrels in the 50s. Merry Christmas, henry

P

PreserveFreedom

A friend of mine has 2 handguns chambered for 22WMR. He plinks with 22LR from both regularly. Yes, the cases split a lot, but you can't reuse 22LR brass anyway. The only problem is that they are harder to extract. One of the before mentioned handguns is a SA Ruger revolver and the extractor rod clears them nicely. The other is a Davis Derringer. When plinking with that, he just keeps a small screwdriver on hand to ram the empty shells out.

BILLG

I will have to agree with RAE on this one.Firing ammo that your gun is not chambered for is a VERY bad practice to get into.Personally I don't want any firearm blowing up in my hands be it a .22 short or a .454 causall.BILLG

Andrew Bornman

Ways to shoot .22lr

I can think of plenty of ways to shoot .22lr and they are all fun. RAE I know you won't like this but cool off a little will you everything mentioned up to this point is safer than playing with fireworks.

Method #1 drill a 1/4" hole in a board insert .22 cartrige and hit with a hammer. It isn't very accurate and all the cases split but many of us did it as kids. For those of you in Palm Beach the hole should go all the way through the board and don't come crying to me if you were standing on the wrong side. This is the most risky type of "gun" to fire and you should expect to get hurt if you persist in playing with wood and ammo.

Method #2 Follow the US Military method and make a .22 pistol from 1/4" water pipe and fittings. The cases will split and the firing pin is likely to return in your direction at high speed. It is a great way to go blind, I was very fortunate that I wasn't attempting to look down the barrel to aim for my proof shots.

Method #3 Shoot .22lr in a .22 mag gun in comparison to the above ideas very very safe and you have better accuracy. You can do it, the gun will not blow up unless there are serious mechanical deficiencies such as a plugged barrel.

Method #4 Shoot .22lr in a firearm designed for .22lr the best accuracy and extremely safe fun. It works better than any of the above ideas. Things usually work best in the application for which they were designed, particularly ammunition.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
I, too agree with the comment's made by RAE. The NAA
owner's manual doesn't recommend it; and I wouldn't do it!!!

Regards,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Hogballs

Andrew Bornman's post reminded me of a misadventure my brother and I had. We were in our early twenties and probably should have known better!

I was fooling around out in the garage one afternoon and found a small threaded brass cap about 1/2" in diameter. While trying to figure out what the heck it was for I discovered it would fit perfectly inside a plastic riser for a sprinkler system. An idea was born!

Finding a screw-on brass sprinkler head to fit one end of the riser was no problem. Nor was it a problem to enlarge the spray hole with a drill to accept a piece of cannon fuse.

We took our zip gun, poured a little smokeless powder down the barrel, dropped the projectile down the barrel, fused it, mounted it (on a cinder block, I believe) and aimed it at a cardboard Tide detergent box.

The gun made a satisfying pop and our projectile bounced off the box after barely making a mark.

So we upped the powder charge a little and the second time the projectile actually stuck in the cardboard.

The third time we upped the charge a little more and God was with us 'cause he made us step back really far and the sunuva$#%^$ blew up with a terrific blast!

My brother and I were stunned (and unhurt, thank the Lord) and just stood there listening to the sound of plastic raining down on the roof of the house and porch. We never did find the little brass button... hehe

What's the point? Nothing! Just thought I would relate a stupid human story to you!

FWIW though, one of my lessons to my kids (boys and girls both), along with how to build a fire and safely play with matches, will be how to safely experiment with gun powder (both kinds)! Not pipe bombs, mind you, just the kind of piddly stuff that teenagers itch to try. I didn't have my dad around (boo hoo, poor little me) to show me any of this stuff. I kind or regard doing this for my kids as my responsibility and privilege...

Anyway, BACK to the topic: The NAA isn't much of a plinker is it? Isn't it designed for ONE thing only: nitty gritty self defense? If so, why would you practice with anything other than your carry ammo?

Sorry to be long winded, hope you enjoyed my tale...

Hog

[Edited by Hogballs on 12-02-2000 at 04:52 PM]

Hal

Well, all I can say is if you feel I'm anal to put safety as the most important part of shooting then that's your problem, not mine. If however, you feel safety is a sometimes thing, and we share a range, the problem then becomes our problem. I am 100% non-tolerant of problems where my safety or the safety of my friends/family is concerned, due to some **** stupid act on your part. If being called **** stupid for doing something **** stupid rubs your fur backwards, better to deal with it here on line than at the range. **** stupid acts will be dealt with there in a far different manner, with no threat implied. You put your **** stupid act in front of my saefty at your risk, not mine. Depending on the act, you WILL find yourself either in a court of law, on the wrong end, or worse. Accept the consequenses of your act of stupidity, it's your call. When you put the awesome power to forver change someone's life in your hands, be it a gun or a steering wheel, **** stupid has no place there. And for the record(Henry), I'm not name calling. I'm ID'ing an action. Doing something **** stupid doesn't necessarliy make you a stupid ****. Do it oftem enough though, and live with the label.

Andrew, you're right, I don't care for it. I for one don't consider ammunition a toy. Yeah, I did some **** stupid things when I was a kid, and managed to hang on to most of the important body parts. Most of us did. Most of us outgew it where guns and ammuntion are concerned though.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Something I learned

(from watching someone else, thank goodness!) is that firing .22lr out of a NAA .22 Mag is a near sure-fire way to burn the bejeezus out of your fingers...

...and I just noticed that not one word has been said yet about semiautos. I'm gonna stick this over in sixgun country, if'n y'all don't mind. :)

Mal H

Staff
From Ala Dan - "The NAA owner's manual doesn't recommend it..."

Absolutely correct, and here's the exact wording from my NAA manual (emphasis theirs):
Warning! Serious injury could result from using any ammunition other than .22 WMRF (Magnum) ammunition in a magnum cylinder.

Even though a .22 LR will fire in a .22 WMRF chamber, the NAA is the one gun I wouldn't want to try it in. The chances for burns and picking shaved lead out of your hand is just too high.

beemerb

I agree with RAE that it probably isn't a good practice.I totaly disagree with his choice of words to get his point across.You can enter into a dicussion and get your point across without calling people names or useing implied profanity.IMHO

hickman

I agree completely with beemerb, in every respect. I have noticed that people seem to be both very sensitive AND obnoxious from time to time on TFL. IMHO, either of those behaviors is unnecessary.

Henry Bowman

Owners Manuals and Lead Shavings????

What a thread folks, first off who here is dumb enough to believe owners manuals? They all say no reloads or no warranty, just scum sucking lawyer crap! If brand X gun maker builds a gun that'll self destruct with a warm load I don't want it. Hot or cold temperatures can alter pressures to plis P plus or even subgun pressures. The SIGs that are'nt capable of running subgun ammo without breakage while a Glock won't is one example of bad enguneering. The post of lead shavings? Are you going to grip the gun so that your hand is near the cylinder gap? Well duh kiddies, all wheelguns spit. It's called barrel gap, something folks that shoot are familiar with. I've got guns with set back barrels with .001 barrel gap that'll shred a new MTM cartidge box at six inches but the rags don't mention that do they? Like I said, spend some time at the range. henry

Hal

Tell ya what. Lets all go to one of the product liability suits in one of the cities suing the mfg's. K? Or maybe go to the AG's office in Mass. or Maryland. They would just love to see how safety is so casually dismissed. The CDC would love it too. They've managed to turn acts of , ahem, "unwise", into an epidemic. 10 years ago, I would have taken a more relaxed position in the context of this type of thread. Times, however have changed. While I believed then, as I still do, that safety issues, all of them, are inflexible, the gun control movement has fed on safety issues. Anyone that advocates an unsafe practice of any type is doing more to further gun control than HCI and their ilk could ever possibly hope to accomplish. Using a caliber for which a gun is not designed, and clearly designated by the mfg. goes beyond unwise. Any, and I mean any, trama that results form this, adds to the stats. Bear in mind that the designation has been changed from violence to the all inclusive word "trama". See my drift here Henry? While YOU have the luxury of choice between a SIG and Glock, that choice isn't an option for the people of Massachusetts. Tens of thousads of Califonria residents are a few weeks away from being felons, simply because a design is "unsafe". People living in New Jersy can't use the "unsafe" hollow point.
We are all in the same little rubber life raft, and anyone playing with a sharp knife in that rubbber raft is going to put us in the water with the sharks. The sharks are going to pretty much do what sharks do, eat and make little sharks, so I don't hold much contempt for them. The person playing with that sharp knife is a totally different story. You can literally bet your 2nd amedment right that, I for one, am not going to giggle anymore at someone's "playfulness" in bending safety issues.

Bob, for the record I don't use implied profanity to imply it. The old software was self editing to remove certain words. I simply got in the habit of substituting a $ for an S. Since safety is such a paramount issue for the gun control movement, and is being so effectivly weilded against us gun owners, I refuse to back off where someone, supposedly on our side, does their work for them.

Mal H

Staff
Henry, since I mentioned the lead shavings, I assume I am the kiddy you were addressing. Even with all of your vast range experience it is quite apparent that you have never held nor shot an NAA revolver. If you can keep both hands away from the cylinder then you won't be able to pull the trigger. So in that case you can insert anything you wish into the cylinder with no danger. I think I'll stick to .22 LR in the .22 LR cylinder and magnums in the magnum cylinder no matter what your rather abrasive thoughts are on the subject.