machinists help me identify this tool.

mattL46

IMG_20131124_104414_zps7f3fec24.jpg

I believe its some kind of lathe or grinder fixture?? Help me out please. The man who knew all about it is no longer with us. Just going through some of his old stuff. Thanks in advance.

mattL46

Too much to mention. By trade he was a tool and die maker. He did a lot of gunsmithing a lotof threading just aa lot of metal work. Really wasn't much he couldn't do.

mattL46

Are you just being silly roughedge? @gwillikers I'm not sure. The front of it holds a tool bit. A lathe type bit. The bolts look like they may hold something to the face of the tool?

Sevens

Perhaps my suggestion is far too basic, but it seems to make sense to mention it.

When cleaned up, can you find -ANY- information stamped on it any where? A company name, a patent number, a product name or product number? Years and years ago, that would be a starting point and not a quick answer. However, with the almost ridiculous power & speed of Google, you could be talking about a pretty good answer that takes only fractions of a second if you have found some sort of data that you can enter in to a search.

I have been amazed -many- times by running simple numbers in to a google search.

Goatwhiskers

You could post that pic over on practicalmachinist.com under the antique tools forum. There are some real machinists on there that are pretty much experts on the old stuff, then you could tell us what the heck it is. Looks faintly familiar to me but I wouldn't hazard a guess. GW

HiBC

It looks like the long "L" shaped rods with the wing nuts serve to clamp it to something else.

Does that inverted cone rotate?I;m asking is it a spindle?Is it metallic?

The mic head: Does anything move,as in does the mic head assist in an adjustment? or does it seem it measures a stock thickness?

I don't lnow what it is,but I'm inclined to think it is an accessory or attachment to something else painted that color.

kilimanjaro

My dad was a tool and die maker, and I worked in a machine shop to pay for college, but not enough of it rubbed off to me.

However, the two 'L' rods to either side of the cone look like they serve to clamp a piece of stock against the surface of the cone, and the entire shaft is turned. Looks pretty old school, that's certain.

Chaz88

Reminds me a little bit of a manual indexing head, like what is used for cutting gears. But I have never used one quite like that.

BillM

Clean it up a bit and look for a name. It's obviously a commercially
made fixture. Somewhere on it there should be a name. It might
be very small or shallow--look close. Worst case is you will find
evidence of 2 or 4 screw holes or drive rivet holes where the
name tag used to be.

mattL46

I'll clean it up better and look closer for a name. Although a thorough twice over didn't show one. I just joined the practical machinist I'll post it there when I have time.

mattL46

The hole you see in the center of the cone is for a set screw which locs a tool bit. The cone has a cut in it which will pass over that bit. When I get a few minutes I'll take some more pics.

Its hard to tell what the mic does. It has a probe below it that touches the long cylinder. when it is adjusted deep enough anyhow.

kduffy

I would hazard to guess it is a tool presetting fixture, a shellmill/face mill is clamped to the face and centered with the cone, an insert is set against the tool bit/backing tool face for clamping into the shell mill at a specific diameter. The micrometer is for setting the backing tool. Any large face mill, shell mill heads in the stash?