machine gun Kelly

Toybox, the description was that of a gun that once started firing would empty the magazine.

1911 45 ACP pistols that had been modified to go full auto till the custom drum magazines emptied

I simply posited one possibility that would be easy to produce that sort of runaway firing. With that said, I do not believe Dillinger's gun was modified in that manner from what I have read.

Looking a Dillinger modified 1911 makes me believe it would have been a real challange to maintain any kind of control while it was in firing in full auto mode.

People keep saying this, but notice the Tommygun foregrip and the compensator. This gun would have been reasonable to control.

toybox99615

just fascinating to think about

I find the entire issue of the guns from 1900 through the 1940's to be a real fascinating era. It seems to me the progress made in firearms during those 40 years was pretty amazing. The 1911 45 ACP has been around now for almost 100 years with only a few modifications. The Thompson made a lot of history through the gangster era. While the BAR managed to stay active in the military until the mid 1970's. I can remember when I was still a Seabee having to know about the BAR, the 45 ACP and the M1 in order to pass my rating exams.

DNS what I've hear about the Kelly weapons was the statement: 1911 45 ACP pistols that had been modified to go full auto till the custom drum magazines emptied. The fire till empty was the interesting part as that indictes it was not possabale to fire a few rounds; all or none. As I said was it true or just an urban legend.

I'd sure like to fire a 40 round drum through Dillinger's (or one like it) just to find out. Looks like it would be a lot of fun at the least.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Just to clarify, none of the FA pistols I have fired worked by slam fire; the sear was tripped when the slide went forward only if the trigger was still held back, just like a normal SMG.

Jim

Hawg

People keep saying this, but notice the Tommygun foregrip and the compensator. This gun would have been reasonable to control.

A full auto Thompson isn't easy to control and they're heavy.