M77 Ruger trigger job

reynolds357

Frankenmauser, I bought it for the same reason I buy most of my used rifles; for the action. I buy all used rifles at a price that I come out good if all I can use is the action. It will eventually be a 257 Roberts improved.

FrankenMauser

Skip the quarter bore. Jump a little bit in bore size and go for the gold: .270-257 Improved.
The most efficient .270 cartridge around, and the most efficient cartridge based on the 7x57mm. ;)

reynolds357

I might have to try that. I have not thought about the .270. I have a .270 barrel blank laying on the shelf. I got my new sear in today and have the trigger set at 17oz. It will adjust down to 11, but that would be a bit ridiculous for a hunting rifle. Many will say 17 is ridiculous, but oh well.:D

FrankenMauser

I might have to try that. I have not thought about the .270. I have a .270 barrel blank laying on the shelf. I got my new sear in today and have the trigger set at 17oz. It will adjust down to 11, but that would be a bit ridiculous for a hunting rifle. Many will say 17 is ridiculous, but oh well.
I have wanted one for quite a while.

Now, I have a .270 Win Mauser barrel sitting here, that's unlikely to be used to build a .270 Win.
I've been giving serious thought to dedicating it to a .270-Bob Improved, should I ever find a suitable action.
Chop it, set it back, clean up the chamber, and recrown...

Huffmanite

FWIW, installed a Rifle Basix trigger sear....around $40, in my Ruger tang safety. Been a few years ago, so do not recall what else I did with the trigger. But, first time I tried it, pull was so light I was concerned with it. Slammed the bolt shut hard a number of times, bounced the butt of stock on the concrete floor fairly hard too....trigger never released. LOL, still readjusted the trigger pull a little heavier, but I still need to remember not to actually touch its trigger until after I've put the crosshair on the target's bullseye.

FrankenMauser

FWIW, installed a Rifle Basix trigger sear....around $40, in my Ruger tang safety. Been a few years ago, so do not recall what else I did with the trigger. But, first time I tried it, pull was so light I was concerned with it. Slammed the bolt shut hard a number of times, bounced the butt of stock on the concrete floor fairly hard too....trigger never released. LOL, still readjusted the trigger pull a little heavier, but I still need to remember not to actually touch its trigger until after I've put the crosshair on the target's bullseye.
My 77 tang safety still has the factory trigger, but I went for a Timney with my 77 Mk II Sporter.
I am so used to heavy triggers on everything that that crisp, clean, super light Timney completely screwed up my game.
Having forgotten that it was so light, it also cost me an Antelope (shot clean over her head as I touched the trigger with a cold finger). :rolleyes:

As soon as I got home from that Antelope hunt, I put the factory spring back in, and I've been much happier with that combination ever since. It's still a great trigger, but at about 4.5 lbs instead of less than 2 lb.

reynolds357

FrankenMauser, I am just the opposite. Heavy triggers screw me up. I learned to shoot using a bench rest rifle. When I was 5 years old, I was shooting my dad's .222 heavy Br. Rifle. I learned on a rifle with a 3 to 4 oz. trigger. Even on my hunting rifles, I prefer triggers to be at the absolute heaviest, 2 lbs. Touch the trigger when you want the rifle to fire.;) Even on my bench guns today I do not "squeeze" the trigger. I tap it. I am getting to where I tap it with my off hand most of the time now. Seems to be the most accurate way to shoot.

FrankenMauser

I completely understand.

I just have (or have had) so many beaters, "antiques", mil-surps, and 'budget' class rifles (from 1903 to present), that I trained myself to just deal with the heavy triggers. When you give me something smooth, crisp, clean, and/or light, it really throws me off.

I just ordered a Geissele G2S-E for the AR lower that I run my 6x45mm and .458 SOCOM uppers on. Even at 4.5 lbs, I'd be willing to bet that I'll also have a 'learning curve' to get through with that trigger. :rolleyes: