M1A or CETME/FAL?

roklok

I would (and did) go M1A. I am simply astounded by the accuracy mine has turned out. I also like the looks and feel of the M1A, it looks like a rifle should. Maybe I am a traditionalist, but the FAL and CETME layout just doesn't appeal to me. Neither do the AR style rifles, even though I own an AR-15. I have shot a FAL, and was not overly impressed, like others here have said, the rear of the receiver is dangerously close to my face. It feels like the "peep" sight could actually end up in my "peeper".

kraigwy

My gunsmith told me that the shorter 18 inch barrel would be more accurate than the longer barrels.

Where do you suppose you're gunsmith got that ideal, certainly not from using the two differant length barrels.

If nothing more, the longer barrel gives you a longer sight radius, the longer the sight radius the better the shooing.

Also the ammo for the M14 was designed for the 22 inc barrel. IF you take your 22 inch barrel with the M14 flash hider out at night, and fire M118, you wont get a muzzle flash. You will with the 18 inch barrel.

45_Shooter

My gunsmith told me that the shorter 18 inch barrel would be more accurate than the longer barrels.

He might be referring to the fact that if everything else is equal shorter barrels are stiffer and therefore less affected by barrel harmonics.

In a stock rifle you're not likely to notice the small difference in barrel harmonics, although as kraigwy mentions, you likely will shoot the longer barrel more accurately due to sight radius.

Flatbush Harry

I must say that would feel perfectly well equipped with either my M1 or my M1A in any sistuation. We should keep in mind that, regardless of our tacticool fantasies, that in a SHTF scenario, a squad of well-trained, equipped and supported infantry would end those fantasies before we emptied the first clip or mag. If my experiences at the local public range are any indication, the spray and pray approach taken by many EBR owners would not last very long.

FWIW, it's not the dog in the fight but the fight in the dog. A true marksman is well served by any useful MBR for most purposes. While an M1 or M1A would not be my first choice for a hunting rifle, it would provide me a useful dinner if I did my part.

Saying either an M14 derivative or M1 is old technology and would not serve is missing the point IMHO.

Cheers,

HC

tINY

I don't think they wouldn't serve. Just pointing out that the M1a and the semi-auto FAL are both older designs - not that the new designs have changed a lot.

Heck, in a pinch and with a little forethough, a SMLE is plenty effective.

-tINY