M1A or CETME/FAL?

So, I really want an autoloader in .308/7.65x51. With the current run on AR style rifles the wait could be a while for one. I pretty much know what to expect as far as accuracy from the AR platform. I posted last week about wanting a RRA LAR-8 but after e-mailing them and not getting the response I was hoping for I'm persuing other options. Opinions on the M1A's and the FAL's? What kind of accuracy are you getting out of yours? This would be used for hunting anything from deer to hogs as well as a SHTF gun.

Thanks!

a7mmnut

Don't know 'bout you, but that Springfield is looking really good while those AR's prices climb higher and higher!? -7-

tulsamal

M1A all the way...it has so much more character and an elegant beauty the FAL couldnt dream of reaching...

I guess that's true enough.

So if you pick your personal military style rifle on the basis of "character and elegant beauty" then I guess you are good to go. I must have other criteria since I have two FAL's and no M14 style rifles. I do have a Garand though!

When those 80 countries were adopting the FAL as standard, they were perfectly well aware of the M14. They could have purchased M14's if they thought they were better. They didn't so they didn't.

I think the M14 style rifles are very fine rifles for the range and competition. For actually living in the mud and fighting people, not so much. IMO.

I have a CETME and enjoy it for what it is. But I would reach for an AK or FAL if TEOTWAWKI actually happened.

Gregg

scorpiusdeus

I believe the M1A would be more inherently accurate than the FAL. I also feel that if Obama gets his way and another AWB comes down the pike, you might be safer with an M1A than a FAL. Just spitballing here.

I own an M1A and I love it. It is super sexy and has far more character than the FAL.

Still the FAL enjoys a great reputation. I know I want one to complete my rifle collection.

I think either way you go, you'll be getting a great weapon.

scorpiusdeus

I think the M14 style rifles are very fine rifles for the range and competition. For actually living in the mud and fighting people, not so much. IMO.

Respectfully, I submit that the M14 does hold up well in harsh environments. Another reason why they are being brought back for DMR duty in the Middle East.

As you say, the FAL is a fine rifle, but not the only rifle.

nemethm

Do you wear glasses?

why do I ask? The fal sight relief is small and the stock short.Depending on your check weld it will come right into your glasses on recoil. Other wise that is my only complaint aside from the military trigger and so-so sight. Despite these warts the FAL is a fine rifle that I have no problems hitting steel at 500yrds with.

The M1A is equally nice just different.

As far as AWB...any mag fed rifle is in jeopardy

As I have said before Blondes and Brunettes.....bet there is something of each that you'll like.

I do like the look of the M1 a little better than the FAL. Is it easier to mount a scope on 1 versus the other?

I do not wear glasses, thankfully good eyesight runs in the family. Still have 20-15 at the ripe old age of 28.:D

What kind of price difference are we talking about. I've seen prices on new M1's online for around $1,300 - $1,400 but they are out of stock so who knows if that will still be the same price once they get more in. Can you get NEW Fal's or is it all surplus? Which MFG make the best FAL (reliability, functionality, etc...)

azredhawk44

Do you wear glasses?

why do I ask? The fal sight relief is small and the stock short.Depending on your check weld it will come right into your glasses on recoil. Other wise that is my only complaint aside from the military trigger and so-so sight. Despite these warts the FAL is a fine rifle that I have no problems hitting steel at 500yrds with.

The M1A is equally nice just different.

+1 to glasses. You use glasses for range practice, right?

I've got pretty decent rifle form, and I don't let the rifle beat me around too much.

I shot a friend's FAL a couple of times, and each time it put a divot in my sunglasses. I was pretty angry about it. If you've got a long neck or "turkey neck" forward a bit on the stock, the FAL may bite you.

I've owned two different M1A/M14 rifles and loved both of them. I'll stick with the M14. It's truly a shooter's rifle.

And my sunglasses like it better, too.;)

charles isaac

I wouldn't throw an M14 down for any other rifle. Feel just fine using the FAL. When I get too old and sissified for the full powers, I guess it will be time to go with an M16 type.:(

stubbicatt

I own an M1A and I love it. It is super sexy and has far more character than the FAL.

That pig would have to have a whole lot more character than Arnold on Green Acres...

Get what fits and what you like. There is no wrong choice here.

Flatbush Harry

I'm an old guy so I have M1 experience. Based on that, I'd move to an M1A based on familiarity and fit of the rifle.

As to accuracy, in standard shooting positions with no bench for a rest, I've yet to meet a rifle that wasn't more accurate than me. For hunting 2 MOA is adequate for medium to large game and 2-3 MOA is very adequate for combat (SHTF) situations. As I have never used an FN FAL, I can't offer an opinion.

Cheers,

HC

amd6547

I'd take a $600 M1 Garand from the CMP over an M1A any day. The 20rd mag on the M1A dosn't make up for the price difference to me.
I do own a CETME, and mine has been 100% trouble free, but I bought it when they were $350, and battlepacks of ammo were cheap.

chuter

I've had an M1A on my wish list for a long time and finally ran in to one. Used but very nice. It fills the hole between my Garand and M-16. I really like it. I can't believe how nice and light it is compared to the M1. Some shooting buddies have FAL's and they are ok but... it's hard to be the design and heritage of the M1 and M1A family for accuracy and durability. My vote is for the M1A.

lipadj46

I just plain like the M1A. I mean if you are a true blue blooded american how can you not go with the perfected M1 garand design that is the M14? I do like the FAL but I would buy one after the M14.