M1903A4 (I think) and barrel

WeedWacker

Now I have looked at the CMP stocks before. But for $500...

What about these?
http://www.sarcoinc.com/springfields.html

However, this:
"Our stocks are completely drop in"

tells me these are manufactured to specification and are a general fit and may not be a good idea if I intend to shoot for accuracy.

I'm getting depressed now. I would rather have the M1903 look in an '03 instead of this sporter crap, but I don't think I could justify $500 for this rifle nor would I want a knockoff POS drop in.

Jim Watson

Current price of the CMP is $165. But that is for a bare stock with no hardware.

I figure any production line wood stock will have to be glass bedded for best accuracy anyhow. It is harder to get top accuracy out of a long military stock with a lot of contact between barrel and wood, no free floating there.

WeedWacker

Alrighty, I was looking at the wrong section of CMP's sales section. My depression has been alleviated thanks to you Jim.

And what is the difference between the C and National Match stocks?

Thermodyne

I'd clean the bore extensively then gauge the muzzle for ware. Be sure to check that the crown is clean and undamaged. If all is well, then try to find some A3 ammo or load some. It is very easy to overpower the two land riffling, so keep the weight and speed within the mill specs. If the barrel shows wear, try a slower load