M1 Garand

rebs

are they considered curio or relic ?

what kind of groups can be expected at 100 to 300 yds ?

Road_Clam

I have the CMP M1 Special in -06 and i'm down to about 1.75 MOA @100 yds with my 168 gr SMK handloads shooting benchrest with an optic.

T. O'Heir

"...what kind of groups..." Depends on the rifle and the ammo used. Most of 'em have less than new barrels. That's why the CMP and most owners pay attention to throat erosion and muzzle wear.

kraigwy

Dont know about C&R, but I know Garands Shoot.

I just built this one at the CMPs Advanced Maint Clinic, and took it to their range. Using Greek M-2 Ball this was my first group.

IMG_1060.JPG

Been shooting Garands along time, shot high power and 1000 yard service rifle matches. Also ran Sniper Schools for the AK NG, using the M1C/Ds.

They shoot.

RC20

I could not get Greek Ball to shoot that good at 75 yards I don't think.

Fantastic shooting.

Curious what MOA group would that be?

Don P

As long as you are a member of one of the organizations on their list, unless they changed policy I'm unaware of

Road_Clam

RC20 said:
I could not get Greek Ball to shoot that good at 75 yards I don't think.

+1, many think the HXP is excellent shooting millsurp, me not the case with my CMP Special (which are fitted with new Criterion barrels). I tested some Greek HXP and I was at about 3.4 MOA at 100 yds again benchrest and with an optic for testing. YMMV as my CMP Special is completely as-issued stock so as to be legal for CMP/NRA John C. Garand type matches. That being said even the the ammo shoots only "ok" the HXP brass is excellent for reloading !

Nathan

The current ammo sold by the CMP is made by Creedmoor sports and uses Lapua bullets & brass...it has been 50% off when bought with a rifle. It is not badly priced at full price.

I don’t have anything to show, but my 100yd targets were pretty good like 1.75” or so for 8 shots.

darkgael

MOA is a good reference point, no doubt. Being able to put the group in the ten ring is more important in HP matches.
Ring sizes:No. SR - Military "Target, Rifle, Competition, Short Range.
Xring ........ 3.00 10ring........ 7.00 9ring........ 13.00

Road_Clam

"cleaning" a 200 yd SR target with an AR-15 is impressive shooting, "cleaning" an SR target with an M1 is REALLY impressive ! kraigwy's Distinguished HM status has my utmost respect an admiration ! I've only been shooting HP matches for about 3 years and I love observing the masters shoot just as much as shooting. The most friendly and helpful individuals you will ever meet !

RC20

MOA is a good reference point, no doubt. Being able to put the group in the ten ring is more important in HP matches.
Ring sizes:No. SR - Military "Target, Rifle, Competition, Short Range.
Xring ........ 3.00 10ring........ 7.00 9ring........ 13.00

That helps, I don't know the competition classes and targets let alone what the sizes are so MOA is my default.

Road_Clam

RC20 said:
That helps, I don't know the competition classes and targets let alone what the sizes are so MOA is my default

A easy way to remember NRA targets is that the black diameter equals about 6 MOA in diameter. So a 200 yd NRA "SR" target will have a black diameter of 12". When I shoot 600 yds the "MR" target black dia is 36". This is a handy and quick reference for me when spotting my shots and tweaking scope adjustments .

Red Devil

Yes, C&R.

And a rifleman, w/ a good M1 Garand, should shoot 2.5 - 3 MOA from field positions.

But that's the data.

The intrinsic is - it's a wood n' steel .30-06 semiautomatic battle rifle that will absolutely hammer any target you can see.

:D

Red