M1 Garand

I just picked up a M1 Garand in a trade deal. It's a 1955 SA re barreled with a 1965 SA and has the new style CMP stock. I done a total strip and all the grease points were properly lubed and the owner claimed he never fired it. From the looks of the inside he was not lying.

I would say the trade was a good trade for both parties as I traded a Arsenal SGL-21 that was unfired. I figure i can always get another SGL-21 but the Garands are slowly drying up.

I have a set of dies and LC brass on the way in the mail and should be up and running using Hornady Amax 168gr bullets a H4895 powder here shortly. I'm chomping at the bit to get this rifle to the range. :D

Now for the obligatory pic....

M1Garand800x600_zps3a64be50.jpg

Technosavant

Very nice. Seeing some pics of the Garands from some members here have me getting antsy. I submitted my CMP paperwork last week... I just get the feeling the wait is going to feel like it's much longer than it actually will be.

Eghad

Best invention ever. The government should issue all citizens one plus ammo for training and use.

JR_Roosa

Ordering another one tomorrow. I have a special and I'm getting a service grade for a match rifle project.

J.

Navy joe

Congrats, pretty gun. I have 2, need about 4 more in my opinion. A wonderful trade too. Now did you really lay a flag on the floor for that pic? :(

madcratebuilder

A great Garand side effect is having cases of M2 ball around. I have never shot my '03's and 1917's as much since I started shooting the Garand more and laid in a few cases ball ammo.

Congrats, pretty gun. I have 2, need about 4 more in my opinion. A wonderful trade too. Now did you really lay a flag on the floor for that pic?

No flags were harmed during this photo shoot! Actually it was laid on the kitchen table. :cool:

Now at this very moment it is neatly folded into a triangle and respectfully put away.

bamaranger

nice

I would think that your rifle would be an ideal shooter. Late model receiver and a rebarrel..perfect if the accuracy is there.

Loading for the Garand taught me a few things:
- Use milspec primers (hardshell type) I think CCI # is 34.
- Understand headspace and how to set your reloads up w/
the correct HS for your rifle
-Obtain a primer pocket uniforming tool and do all the pockets on any
brass you intend for the M1
-Use the correct powder w/ burn rate compatible w/ the M1 (I use 4064, but their are others)

Enjoy

Well, i'm getting close to getting the Garand out to the range. Last night i loaded up some 30-06 ammo for it. I plan on shooting these over my chronograph and hope to achieve 2,600 to 2,680 fps out of them. Through research this is suppose to be a close duplicate match load used with the Hornady Amax.

LC 68 Brass
168 gr Hornady Amax bullet
46.3 gr H4895
2.484 trim length
3.320 OAL (.020 short of the lands)
No crimp

I'll report back with the results when I get them.

DSC_0550640x480_zpse96eefb5.jpg

LOL, I had mine torn down like that just the other day. I usually do that after i get a firearm because I have to learn it for my own personal sanity. Not to mention the M1 Garand has key lube points that need attention.

Nice photo, thanks for sharing!

MJ1

;) LOL

Hmmmmmm??????

This was a fun project and for $310 I got a great rifle. This was my first 100 yards test.

Enjoy your new M1.

...MJ...

re-cycle
32c80cfe.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, got me there. Stripped it down just short of the barrel. LOL, I have a wet stainless tumbler setup so hopefully soon i'll get to that and shine up the 44 years old brass to like new.

Old Grump

Member in memoriam
You used a flag for a table cloth to display a gun? Sorry but I don't give a hoot and a holler about your gun if you think our flag is just a convenient rag to display your toys on. Fly it right or hang it right but don't walk on it and don't lay things on it, some of us old buzzards are offended by that. :mad:

You used a flag for a table cloth to display a gun? Sorry but I don't give a hoot and a holler about your gun if you think our flag is just a convenient rag to display your toys on. Fly it right or hang it right but don't walk on it and don't lay things on it, some of us old buzzards are offended by that.

You got your screen name right.

MLeake

I don't know; I am not particularly old, nor particularly grumpy, but I am a veteran and I also found it a bit offensive.

Well that certainly was not the intent and I personally found nothing wrong with it since I didn't lay the flag on the ground. Like momma always said, you can't please everyone, nor will i try.