M1 Garand...Accessories?

Swampy1

azsixshooter asks:
Is that legal for NRA highpower match? As long as it's not glass-bedded it's legal, right?

Your question is based on a false premise... that glass bedding is illegal in NRA Service Rifle. It's not.

A glass bedded stock is quite legal in both NRA Service Rifle and in CMP-EIC.... and pretty well mandated if you plan to be competitive at all.

A laminated stock is for sure also legal in NRA Service Rifle. I am not certain if it is legal in CMP-EIC or not.... but for certain it is NOT legal in CMP-JCG events.

Best regards,
Swampy

Garands forever

azsixshooter

Your question is based on a false premise... that glass bedding is illegal in NRA Service Rifle. It's not.

I was thinking of the John C. Garand "as-issued" matches. Thanks for clarifying that and making me look it up. I found this:

"Shooters may use any “as-issued” U. S. service rifle including the M1 Garand, M1903 Springfield, M1917 Enfield, M1941 Johnson or .30 Cal. M1 Carbine. Rifles must have standard stocks and be equipped with military-type web or leather slings. Rebarreling with barrels of “as-issued” dimensions is permitted, but “NM” parts or glass bedding is not permitted."

Oldjarhead

Sounds like you have done your homework. I do not think I can add to your list. Is it a Springfield Armory? If so, once you get the M-1, you can go online with the serial number and see when it was manufactured.

I bought a M1 Garand a couple of years ago. SA make from February of 1944. It was sent to Camp Lejeune, NC. (USMC) I have no idea if it stayed there for training Marines, or went to the Pacific. It is still in great condition. I only had to put some Linseed oil on it, and the wood came back to life. I ordered the Greek ammo also with the enbloc clips in bandoleers also. You might check out the book, "The Complete book of the M1 Garand and M1 Carbine" by Bruce Canfield. He goes over in depth on what to look for to see which parts are original and what may have been changes over the production life of the rifle. I discovered by locking the action back and checking the stamping on the barrel, that my barrel was replaced at the SA factory in February of 1946. A lot of Garands I am sure had that done. Enjoy your rifle. I have mine.

Mike40-11

Bolt disassembly tool. After the extractor, ejector and/or springs shoot across the room or into the grass, you'll definitely want one.

azsixshooter

I'm going to add one to my own list for the benefit of anyone who comes across this thread in the future:

Schuster DCM Adjustable Gas Plug with Wrench, M1 Garand, Steel, Parkerized

(about $35 at midway)

I was thinking about hunting with the M1. I would at least like to keep that option open just in case I'm ever in a pinch and I remembered my buddy telling me that with an adjustable gas plug you can shoot a broader selection of '06 loads/bullets without the danger of damaging the op-rod.