M1 Garand...Accessories?

azsixshooter

I posted this at another forum, but I want to pique TFL's collective brain too!

Hi Guys,

I've got a nice service grade HRA on the way that I tagged last month at the CMP Western Games. I already bought a bayonet, FM 23-5, TM 9-1005-222-12 and a couple of armorer's videos on the M1 (I need something to do while I'm going nuts waiting!).

My question to all of you is what do you guys think I should pick up next and since I probably can't afford everything at once, in what order?

I'm thinking a good sling (not sure whether leather or GI web is better) and a complete buttstock cleaning kit would be prudent choices followed by a shooting coat (Mr. Gary Anderson himself suggested that to me at the 200 yard line while we were watching the contest). However, if there's anything you guys think I'll need upfront more than a sling and cleaning kit please let me know. I already have a spam can of 240 rounds that I picked up at the Western Games and I ordered a 192-round can of ammo in clips and bandoliers and another 240 round box with my rifle order. Here are some of the things on my to-get list, in no particular order:

-combo tool
-wool-lined GI rifle case
-spare parts (firing pin, extractor, ejector, hammer spring; any ideas are appreciated)
-linseed oil
-reloading dies
-brass/components
-Complete M1 and M1 Carbine book
-GI ammo belt to hold 10 en bloc clips

So come on guys, other than ANOTHER M1 Garand, what am I going to need??

Tim R

Personally, I would not run a steel cleaning rod down the bore of any of my M-1's. I would suggest a coated single piece rod and muzzel guide. A chamber brush is nice once in awhile.

Did you know the cleaning kit will rattle when stored in the butt stock?

I have both leather and cloth slings. I like the leather ones better as I'm not fooling with the sling as much. I treat the leather slings with neatsfoot oil, not too much, just a light coat on each side. I keep the oil away from the keepers though.

A shooters coat helps with off hand. With all other positions the coat provides padding. A shooters glove, mat, and spotting scope. Then instead of watching.....shoot the match. :p

azsixshooter

I like the look and feel of the leather slings better too. I will probably buy one from the CMP store or Creedmoor Sports.

Can anyone come up with something to add to the list of must-have or highly-recommended accessories? Maybe some special tools or something? In one of the armorer's videos they showed using a ford wrench to hold the rifle while you remove the gas lock screw so I thought I'd probably pick one of those up and wrap electrical tape or something over the jaws so it doesn't scratch the finish up.

azsixshooter

I already bought a bayonet, FM 23-5, TM 9-1005-222-12 and a couple of armorer's videos on the M1

After a can of ammo, that was the second thing I bought.

As far as spare parts go, is there any one thing that tends to break over the others? Any kind of M1 Achilles heel part that tends to break or wear out faster than others? This one I tagged had a stuck rear sight adjustment knob, but I had the CMP guys fix it right there in front of me.

Antipasta

A butt load of CMP's HXP ammo. It's still cheaper than reloading, but I save the brass for when it won't be. I got the HRA SG last year. I love it. Good luck with yours.

T. O'Heir

"...cheaper than reloading..." Reloading is about the quality of the ammo. Not the cost.
The Greek ammo is boxer primed and non-corrosive. The bullet attracts a magnet too. Primers being crimped or not really isn't an issue for reloading. Removing the crimp is a one time nuisance.

azsixshooter

The Greek ammo is boxer primed and non-corrosive.

That's great news. I uniform all of my primer pockets so that should take care of any primer pocket crimping, unless I'm wrong and you need some kind of special tool. Damn, now I'm going to need a Dillon Progressive and a bigger bench!

jpwilly

As for accessories...I'm in love with my Wenig Laminated Stock! Bling Bling!

range020208002-1-2.jpg

Logs

Well I would get more ammo from the CMP, since prices are going crazy.

Also I have a combo tool, but it is a pain to use for the gas plug. Instead I went to Harbor Freight and picked up one of their super large flat screw drivers with an Orange handle for $0.99 works PERFECT for the gas plug.

Also you might look at getting some new springs. I bought a new one for the op rod and it made my action much nicer. Also you might want to pick up a clip latch spring. One of my Garands would empty the mag on me after about 3-4 shots, changed the spring and now it works great. Also go to NAPA and pick up some grease Lubriplate, works the best on moving parts IMO. As for the sling I have both cloth and leather, but I prefer the cloth on and it was $5.

I don't have a shooting jacket, but I did pick up a mat and some padded gloves.

Finally plan a trip the Perry for the Garand match in AUG, may see you there.

http://www.m1garandrifle.com/Garandparts.htm

http://www.m1garandrifle.com/Garandparts.htm

http://www.dougsstockpile.com/index.html

support_six

After a can of ammo, that was the second thing I bought.

Good job! I'm "breaking in" a new pair of bifocals! My only suggestion is to buy more ammo. I buy a case about once a quarter. I don't shoot that much up so I'm stockpiling some so that when I'm ready to give my M1s to my children and grandchildren, they won't have to hang them on the wall to collect dust.

Citizen Carrier

I recommend one of the "tobacco can" AK cleaning kits you can find at gunshows. It has a rope pull-through, nylon brush, and wire brush you can use to clean the barrel from the breech to the muzzle.

I use one on all my .30 caliber rifles and I don't have to worry about muzzle wear.