M&P 45 or Glock 21sf???

Sharkbite

Opinions???

Im looking for something i can put a threaded barrel into and shoot suppressed. I have a cpl really nice 1911's but want to leave them as is.

So that means a new 45acp pistol is in my future. The FN is ready to go but i dont like the feel ( or the price ). The standard G21 has always felt like holding a 2x4. The G21sf is a little better or the m&p with the changeable backstraps looks interesting.

Any thoughts on this???

Jim567

I got rid of my M&P .45 but it was the compact. It was just not right in my hand. I believe full size would have been fine as my M&P 9 is.
I like my Glock 21 gen 4 SF and shoot it well.

Last edited:

k511

Both are solid platforms...I myself prefer my glocks to my M&P's for no reason other than I shoot the glocks a little better, don't know why..
The ergos of the two are totally different animals IMO, if you don't like the ergos of the glock, chances are you will like the M&P..

If I were in your shoes, being a "1911 kinda guy" myself... I would use the situation as an excuse for another 1911...

Sharkbite

I like my Glocks but they are all the smaller frame versions (ive owned 19,22,23,35's)

My SO issued G21's and i opted to carry a personal gun instead. Just too clunky.

The SF model does feel a bit better and im a total Glock fan. Im just wondering if the M&P would be better overall.

Mostly this is just a fun gun. Like i said im just looking for a host for the new can. Im going to convert 1 of my G23's to 9mm and use my G35 as a .40cal host. Just missing a 45acp host :confused:

As for the another 1911 option. I cant seem to own a 1911 the way i like em without the wife saying "*** is this $1500 charge on the debit card?"
:eek:

9x19

The new model 41 is pretty nice... has the slimmer slide of the 36 & 30S, and the 4th gen grip frame.

jmr40

Had a Smith and Glock 21 at the same time. Sold the Smith. Mine was made prior to the SF versions. With that option on a Glock the Smith isn't close.

Uncle Malice

I have owned both, but I still own the Glock 21. Both are good platforms, but I would take the Glock 21 (GEN 4) over the M&P 45. If you're talking GEN 3(even GEN 3 SF), I would take the M&P 45.

The GEN 4 Glock 21 really shines. I have owned the GEN 3 and GEN 3 SF prior to the GEN 4 release.

I do prefer the M&P 9 to the Glock 17 too.

With that said, I'd take the HK 45 or USP 45 TACTICAL over either - and by the time you get the others all set up with a nice threaded barrel and better sights, the HK already came with them from the factory. So price wouldn't be THAT much different.

Example:

HK 45 TACTICAL - ~$1,100

Glock 21 - ~$600
KKM TB - ~$225
Night sights - ~$100-$150
TOTAL - $925-$975
(plus wait times for all the stuff to be ordered/delivered/installed)

Wreck-n-Crew

Im looking for something i can put a threaded barrel into and shoot suppressed.
Which ever one you get, when you tire of it just take the suppressor off, putt it away, send me the gun and i'll send you some fun videos to watch!;) I might add a spring and a comp, then load up some 45 Super. Don't worry the exploding melons and devastated pork ribs is free of charge!:D

I like the M&P grip better than the G21.

Sharkbite

Ive not played with the gen 4 changeable backstrap. Does that REALLY make a big difference ?

I have a M&P 9c and the med adaptor is right for me. Can the small Gen 4 adaptor help enough?? Aughhhhh.... The choices:(

Uncle Malice

They say the gen 4 and gen 3sf models are the same size. To me, the gen 4 feels smaller. The gen 4 grip texture really helps to lock in your grip. I think it's definitely worth it. With the Glock, it doesn't have removable back straps like the M&P does. There is the standard back strap part of the grand that doesn't remove and there are additional ones you can add on to that. The medium brings it to the size of the original gen 3 grip and the large....is made for Shaq.

I had the M&P 9c for a while too and I also ran the medium back as does my M&P 9 pro.

The M&P does have good ergos. I dint think you'd go wrong with either choice. I just found the gen 4 g21 to be a bit softer shooting.

Ruger45LC

I had several M&P .45's, but I no longer have them. I do like the Gen3 SF better, or my favorite which is the Gen4 G21.

I can't really say anything bad about the M&P though, it's a very solid choice but I just prefer the G21 (SF or Gen4). Aftermarket threaded barrels are not an issue with the G21, there's a lot of them, not sure about the M&P. I think Glock might make a threaded G21 barrel too.

Sharkbite

Thanks all

I having a hard time finding a LGS that has both in stock for a side by side comparison.

So far its been fondle one someplace then the next week find the other at a diff store.

I guess i just gotta pull the trigger on one of em (so to speak).

Im leaning towards the Glock 21 gen 4. I know the Glock pistols inside and out and trust them daily. I have a feeling the M&P would feel slightly better with the small backstrap but it is a system i dont know as well.

So G21g4 it is.

Anybody know where the best price on one might be?

SHE3PDOG

Grabagun.com normally has pretty great prices. They fluctuate a lot though, so some days you will find a stupidly amazing deal and others it is around budsgunshop.com prices.

laabci

I guess I'm in the minority here.
I have tried Glock 21 and it did nothing for me.
Needless to say I own M&P 45 and love it.
And I haven't even installed the Apex DCAEK.