Lubricant Tests

Clayton

I used Weapon Shield to clean and lube a Glock 19 last night, I have to say this is an excellent product so far. Very easy to use. The film strength is very good, making it easy to apply. It seems to really adhere well to metal parts, which is a concern nowadays with the various coatings being used on firearms.

The pleasant cinnamon smell is still here, but improved. The faint petrol odor of FP-10 is gone, and the color is very slightly different, still a light amber tint but not as yellow.

I removed the Hoppes Elite gun oil from my Spyderco Military and applied Weapon Shield. I immediatly noticed an improvement. Much smoother action, and it smells good. :)

In a preliminary rust test started last night, it is holding up as well as Break-Free CLP and Corrosion-X.

http://www.steelshieldtech.com/weaponshield.htm

Clay

Last edited:

gcfennell

Great Job Clay

GREAT job Clay, as always. There is one thing I can say for sure, Clayton is one of the most "UNBIASED" person(s) I know. He "tells it like it is" and knows what he is doing, and that's what is so valuable about his testing. If I were to test and publish like I did in the past, it cannot come across as unbiased, even if the data supports it. But Weapon Shield CLP will undoubtedly show in the end, that it is the BEST and MOST BALANCED of the CLP's out there...and the BEST lubricant that money can buy for ALL of your guns/weapons. That's one reason I am doing the give-away...so it can speak for itself and you all can post "YOUR" opinions of it's performance.

Best regards,
George

Clayton

Thanks George. I know that lots of folks, me included, really appreciate having you available to answer questions about your products as well as the whole aspect of lubrication in general.

George just let on to the reason why we don't see many tech guys or ceo's from the other companies posting on the forums - they immediately get bashed for being biased, etc. when in fact the information that they are providing is from an independant lab like SWRI, and is therefore UNbiased and reliable.

Lab results are great, but there are lots of different things to consider, and what works best for me may not be the best choice for you. A good look at your priorities, and whether they're good or bad, will go a long way in helping you pick good products, no matter what they are.

For instance, some folks go bonkers over a "green" product that is biodegradable and non-toxic. This is a good thing to me, but it is not my number one priority. The Mpro7 stuff is a good example of a line of products that put "green" above performance, in my opinion. On the other end, when George formulated Weapon Shield, he put performance first, but still came up with a very safe, non-toxic product to use.

I am biased in the sense that, as I said earlier, I am a victim of my own experiences like most folks, and so I know pretty well what works and what doesn't, and I have a good idea of what to look for and what I prefer when it comes to gun lubes, cleaners, etc...which is why I normally go with a CLP.

Necessity is the mother of invention, and this the reason why CLP's are normally better products to use. Over the last ten years, most of the advances in gun lubes have been because of the military's desire to go with a CLP, and so manufacturer's have tried to go after these contracts and the specs that must be met to win them. We reap the benefits by getting lots of good products to choose from. Several new products, like Weapon Shield, now meet MIL-L-63460D.

Some parts of these mil-spec tests mean nothing to us private citizens, like reactivity to NBC/MOPP detection gear, etc. but the bottom line is I'd much rather use a product that at least HAS been tested, and will at least meet some type of criteria. Much better than some guy in a gun shop named Billy Joe telling you it works good on his deer rifle, and got his '72 Chevy started this morning.

YMMV :)

Clay

gcfennell

some guy in a gun shop named Billy Joe telling you it works good on his deer rifle, a

some guy in a gun shop named Billy Joe telling you it works good on his deer rifle, and got his '72 Chevy started this morning.

....but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn....:D

G

Clayton

Good stuff from Pat:

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=50931&an=0&page=0#50931

I have very limited experience myself when it comes to operating in an arid, dusty and sandy climate, but I have looked into it a bit, and while some folks will use dry lubricants, from what I have discovered this is not the best solution. The best and most effective solution is more frequent maintenance. You often hear lubes touted as being effective at "not attracting nor holding onto debris" but while this may be true to an extent, the bottom line is the dirt and sand and grit will find its way into every oriface on you and your gear no matter what, and the only true way to deal with it is to clean your gear more frequently.

No matter what the environment - arid, artic, jungle - I think the same amount and type of lube can be used at the present time. In the past, due to the types of lubes available this was not the case, but I feel pretty confident that with modern lubricants like Weapon Shield CLP and Slip 2000 EWL, a standardized practice for every weapon type can be used to great effect.

Clay

Clayton

Interesting thread on Mobil 1:

http://www.stoppingpower.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13209

This prompted me to do a quick rust test last night, comparing Mobil 1 0W-40 to Break-Free CLP. I am astounded to say that after 18 hours, the Mobil 1 coated drill bit had one small spot of corrosion while the Break-Free coated one had several spots all over. The Mobil 1 also seems to bead water the same today as it did after first being applied. I also put the Mobil 1 container in the freezer along with a bottle of Militec-1 and Ballistol. After 16 hours of 0 degrees F, the Mobil 1 flowed the best, with almost no change at all in viscosity, while the other two were noticably thicker.

I will be doing more experiements on Mobil 1 in the future...

An old but informative thread:

http://www.pistolsmith.com/viewtopi...&start=0&sid=660ef2bc3fa22763a97eae080d058bd2

Clay

Last edited:

Clayton

Listed temperature ranges of various lubes tested -

Break-Free CLP -40 to +475 degrees F

Corrosion X -30 to +350 degrees F

Tetra Gun grease -100 to +750 degrees F

TW-25B -90 to +450 degrees F

Militec-1 -75 to +715 degrees F

G96 Gun Treatment -50 to +350 degrees F

George will have to enlighten me as to the listed temp range of Weapon Shield. :)

The funny thing about these temp ranges is that most if not all WILL NOT match your results in actual use. Break-Free CLP has caused functioning problems with some troops in Alaska in -30 degree F temps, for instance. Sometimes manufacturers will list the pour point as the lowest temp rating, sometimes they use some other method, but very rarely will they actually test their products on actual firearms. There are of course variables like the amount used, etc. that play a big effect with some products at a low temperature.

I stuffed several lubes into a deep freeze and left them there for two days, to see what effect -5 degrees F would have on these lubes.

G96 Gun Treatment - no change in viscosity.

Rem-Oil - no change in viscosity.

Weapon Shield CLP - thickened up some, but still pourable.

Militec-1 - thickened up quite a bit.

Mobil 1 0W-40 - no change in viscosity.

Corrosion-X - thickened up a small amount.

Mpro7/Hoppes Elite gun oil - thickened up a small amount.

Break-Free CLP - no change in viscosity.

Ballistol - thickened up some, but still pourable.

All of these lubes would work fine at zero degrees F provided you used them sparingly i.e. a thin coat. If you want something that will not change in consistency at all down to -40F I would go with G96 Gun Treatment.

High performance products like Weapon Shield and Militec-1 require only a very thin application to be effective, and can almost be wiped dry, except where more protection from corrosion is required. This compensates for the changes in viscosity to an extent, and it can be pointed out that a very thin coat of these lubes will probably work better than a heavy coat of Rem Oil or other lube that is a very thin petroleum based product.

I tried Ballistol, Mobil 1, and Weapon Shield out on two Glock pistols, cleaning and lubing them, then placing the pistols in my freezer for 24 hours. All three lubes worked perfectly - the pistols fed and functioned fine.

The biggest surprise for me was how Mobil 1 did not thicken at all. It held its viscosity better than Militec-1, which I thought would never happen. That's the second time I've been impressed with motor oil. :)

In the tests done back in 1996 by the RCMP, they found Eezox, G96 Gun Treatment, FP-10, and TW-25B to be the best lubes for low temperatures. I have no doubt these products would still work well, and I imagine that Weapon Shield would be on the list if tested by the RCMP today, as it would no doubt be a better performer than the older FP-10.

The biggest problem that occurs is when you take your weapons from a very cold environment to a very warm one, without an acclimation period. It is best to leave cold weapons outside when possible. The condensation will turn to ice and slush and this is what normally causes malfunctions in my experience. Just because the lube doesn't freeze doesn't mean the water inside the weapon won't.

Just my thoughts,

Clay

Last edited:

gcfennell

Temp

Hey Clayton

WS-CLP

Lower Limit -60 deg C
Upper Limit + 399 deg C

Even when vappored or burned off at "cookoff" temps, WS-CLP will continue to operate. We've set the handguards of AK-47's on fire, as you know and were still functioning without any problem as well as cooking off a few. The ignition temp of wood/book paper is Fahrenheit +451. Piece of cake. :D

Clayton

Outstanding, thanks George. Thats -76 degrees F for us hillbillies. :)

I have lots of tests planned for Weapon Shield, but I don't plan on setting anything on fire. :D

If anyone else has any comparisons or informal tests done on these or other lubes, please post them here. The more info the better.

Clay

ZeSpectre

Simply squirting oil on an arm to see how it functions is a pretty poor and meaning less test. It would be inconsistant and would not yield any conclusive data.

Funny thing is this is EXACTLY the sort of testing I want to see done (and am trying myself in another thread). Regular cleaning, regular use, "Real World" testing as it were.

for example, keeping the screw slots on the grips of my CCW SIG pistols rust free is as severe a challenge as anything I've seen a science lab come up with so far. If a product keeps those damned slots rust-free then it's doing a GOOD job of rust protection!
:D

Clayton

An interesting note about Militec-1 - it seems that it has been used on some plastic components such as hinges on plastic cases, and has caused some failures. It appears that Militec-1 MAY not be compatible with some plastics. I believe it also MAY have caused some problems on M240B's. Apparently there are a few plastic components inside the stock/reciever. I've used it on Glocks with no problems, and as far as I knew it was compatable with virtually all plastics . Anyone know anything else about this?

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0PCA/is_647/ai_n19171807

http://www.laniganperformance.com/faq.html

http://www.infantryassn.com/Bugler issues/Winter20032004.pdf

ZeSpectre - I've been using Weapon Shield CLP for two weeks now on my carry weapons with outstanding results. I would highly recommend it for SIGs, due to the corrosion issues with some of these weapons. The grip screws and magazines seem to be the most mentioned spots for corrosion.

Contrary to popular belief, Glocks can and will corrode. The small components as well as the slide rails on the frame are prone to rust when carried daily or exposed to the environment. No problems with Weapon Shield CLP. :D

Clay

Last edited:

Tempest45

Clayton, I appreciate the info you have amassed here, good stuff. But I think you are off a little on the viscosity part. ALL oils will have a very different viscosity from -5F to room temperature, though it may not be obvious to human senses. This can be seen in this chart for automotive oils:
viscosity_table.jpg

Most gun oils are in the 5 to 10 wt catagory.