low-recoil rounds for sporting clays?

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Pixies are the Wee Folk...

Except when they're Jewish, they're Lepracohens then, heh,heh...

If a shotgunner chooses to shoot while wearing a funny hat and pointy toed shoes, they sure can.

After all, this is still America, and they're armed(G)....

Seriously, this is a good thread.

vertigo7

DaveR, I've been watching that thread too, and taking notes. Good info.

DaveMcC, I'd have to guess the pixie-in-question stood about 6 feet tall. She's definitely not a small lady. I would guess the off-the-rack fit of the 870 would fit her.

I'll drop by and talk with her tomorrow morning to share the info you've all provided. Will post more after I get some feedback from her. Maybe then I get to stop doing all this guessing? :D

Thanks,

vertigo7

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
7, factory stocks (including the 870) only fit about 10% of the shooters well. Another 30%, it's close enough to work OK. I'm in the 30%. The lady in question may be built close enough to average to use the factory stock,but....

Women usually need a bit more pitch, and rounding off the toe of the pad is an almost universal improvement. Brister mentions sanding down the whole inside rim of the pad with a bit more taken off the toe, but I've not tried this myself.

HTH....

sm

Good Thread,

Sounds like gun fit to me. As suggested someone qualified to check fit would be beneficial. Trying other guns (fit) might be a good idea.

Brister's sanding rim and a bit more toe rounded - well have seen results and shot gun- yeah one can tell a difference.

Loads: partial to the old superlight loading, 1 1/8 at 1145, depending on targets/distance 8 and 7.5 shot.

Is the recoil bothering her shoulder or cheek ? recoil pads suggested are good ones, if comb a bit low, maybe moleskin applied might help with fit, and felt recoil on cheek, if abrasive, cover with electrical tape.

My .02

vertigo7

I caught up to my lady friend today and gave her all the great suggestions everyone kindly provided. She told me she'd gone out to one of the clays / skeet ranges in this area to check things out and ask questions, and the local gunnies there that day gave her such a hard time she left in tears. She didn't even get a chance to shoot a single clay pigeon. Please note I wasn't present for any of this, I'm just relaying what she had to say about her visit to the club.

I felt awful for her. She's a nice lady and didn't deserve to be treated like second-class trash just because she's a newbie shooter who wants to learn and asks questions. I invited her to go shooting with me anytime she wanted to, and assured her that not everyone in the shooting community is as crude and foul-mannered as the people she dealt with.

vertigo7

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
7, that's a fine example of the Bozo Factor.

"It only takes one clown to #$%^& it up for everyone".

And this kind of churlishness is rarely found among the best shooters. The sort of discipline and dedication needed to get best often smooths and helps people skills.

I suggest you attend the next club meeting at that range and report to the members what she told you. And if it's not received well, tell them what they can kiss.

vertigo7

I'm thinking about taking a ride out to that club myself, and playing the part of the clueless newbie who's full of questions. It'll be convincing, shotguns aren't my forte, much less skeet / clays. Then maybe giving them an earful about being so harsh to newbies, remind them they were newbie shooters once too, and that the only way you will learn anything is to ask questions of more experienced shooters. I'm curious to see if I'll receive the same treatment she did even though I'm a guy. Will post back with an after-op report.

vertigo7