Low Powered Scopes

PlatinumCore16

I will give a vote for Vortex and Primary Arms. I have used PA and my buddy has a Vortex Strike Eagle that he has let me borrow. The Vortex glass is good and the PA stuff is on par.

ROCK6

So, I've been doing a little research into optics. Between the basic 1x RDO’s, fixed magnification combat optics like the ACOG, and Low Power Variable Optics (LPVOs) from 1-4x to 1-8x, I’m trying to figure out the best compromise.

Most agree that RDO’s excel in target acquisition from point blank out to about 200 meters. No argument there. My goal is to have better precision out to about 500 meters...which requires some magnification.

The ACOGs (2x to 6x) use the BAC, which works well at closer distances, but does require more focused training. Their field of view on their optics are the listed as some of the best, but they’re not as precise as LPVOs (although most LPVOs aren’t marketed as precision optics either). The biggest upside is their weight and simplicity. While they have the dual Tritium and Fiber Optic illuminated reticles, they now have LED powered versions that weight a couple ounces more, but offer much better illumination when transitioning light to dark environments and vice versa.

LPVOs are all the rage and popular for 3-gun competitions. The more common are the 1-6x LPVOs and there are tons of them. The biggest detractor is weight. Most weigh about a pound and half to almost two pounds without a mount. That’s a lot of weight on your rifle (ala the Sig TANGO 6 on my Revolution). You can get some 1-6x LPVOs down to about 17oz, just over a pound, but the price penalties push them to $2000+ (Nightforce, Kahles, Schmidt and Bender, etc.)!

For a general purpose rifle, how much range and accuracy do you really need? While the ACOGs are built as a fixed power (with BAC capability) combat optic for fast target acquisition at further distances than RDO’s, will they provide enough precision and accuracy out to 500 meters (which is my goal)?

From everything I've read, your best options in reasonable price ranges are Primary Arms and Vortex. Steiner also has a newer 1-4x scope on the market that gets great reviews as well. Yes, good glass costs, but I just can't see the difference between a $1000 Vortex Razor and a $3000 NightForce. Sure, quality and glass are better, but are they $2K better?

As much as I want to try another LPVO (1-6x), I want to see the weight come down to about a pound (or less) sans mount; and hopefully not more than a grand. Even the lower 1-4x scopes are pretty heavy, but I love their versatility. For a bench gun or limited competition, they're probably okay, but for long range patrolling, scouting, or hunting on foot...those ounces add up quick!

ROCK6

Mobuck

I used low power variables (1-4x, 1.5-4.5x, 1.5-5x) for several years because these were more compact in size. I found that aiming at critters at longer ranges was handicapped by the 4-5x top end and shifted to a 2-7x32 which solved most of those issues. I NEVER found the 1x to have any advantage in my business.