Low Powered Scopes

TimW77

I am looking for several low powered scopes such as 1-6X, 1-8X. Power on low end should be no more than 1.5X. Rifles used are "AR types" in .223 Wylde, 6.5 Grendel, .308 Win and .260 Rem or 6.5 Creedmore...

Currently looking at Millett 1-6X, Shepherd 1-6X and Vortex 1-8X Strike Eagle and several others.

Do you have any actual experience with these scopes or have other recommendations for similar scopes?

TW

hounddog409

I have a BCM Rifle in 5.56.

I have the Leupold Mark AR MOD 1 1.5-4x20mm Firedot reticle mounted on it.

It has an illuminated green dot center of reticle.

great scope. The green dot is a tremendous help in low light conditions.

I have heard varying reports on the Millet, some not so good. I have a vortex scope on a bolt rifle and have never had an issue with it.

Vortex is a good scope, but have not experience with the other brand.

TBM900

The Primary Arms LPVO line have been getting stellar performance reviews and have a lifetime warranty.
Ive been running their fixed power on some of my AKs for several years with no issues even after much abuse. I recently picked up a Raptor that seems rock solid, going to start pushing it soon to see if its as tuff & reliable.

Drm50

My Bro has the Millet on a Contender Carbine in 375Win. He likes it and that is on his primary Ohio legal deer gun. Clear optics and must be tuff the recoil of 375W is pretty stiff
on TC carbine.

MarkCO

Burris RT6 is excellent. The Nightforce, Trijicon and SWFA are also really good options, as are the higher end Vortex, but you are into the $1K range.

The Strike Eagles have not held up well and have some parallax out past 200 and I would not suggest the Millet either. I have not used a Shepherd. I have tested and shot with all of the rest, as well as several others. I took a XTRII 1-5 off of my .223 Match gun to put on the RT6 and it just punches well above its price point. My .308 pattern ARs all have XTRIIs on them.

bedlamite

It all comes down to the glass. The higher the power the better glass you need, the better glass costs more money.
Look at where it's made: Chinese is the worst. Philippines is much better. Japan, USA, and European are the best.
When I buy optics, I will not purchase Chinese glass, and it must have a lifetime warranty, which means most of my scopes are Vortex Viper or Leupold.

Django11

I own the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x. I generally only use that rifle as a plinker and works just fine for that,but it's by no means the greatest scope ever. I own a Sightron S-tac 1-7x and I love it. It has a single center dot that can be illuminated. I have it on a rifle I use mainly for hunting. Its clear and perfect for shooting animals. Last I checked they run around $800. Only downfall is the dot could be brighter if one would want it on during daylight.

jmr40

I have the Vortex in a 1-6X. The image near the edges isn't as sharp and clear as some of the more expensive scopes. But for the money it serves my needs. When sighting a rifle you only look through the middle of the scope anyway. That is more of a concern with binoculars.

These scopes get a lot of positive comments. My Brother has a fixed 6X that is a great scope. I considered the 1-4X but really wanted a bit more than 4X on the top end. Their 1-6X was priced at $1000 and over my budget.

https://www.swfa.com/optics/riflescopes.html?brand=SWFA SS

Doyle

I know you said 1.5, but if you expand your search to go up to 2X on the low end it will open up lots more opportunities. I love my Leupold VX2 2-7. If I were searching for a replacement, I'd also look seriously at a Vortex 2-7.

reynolds357

When I buy optics, I will not purchase Chinese glass, and it must have a lifetime warranty, which means most of my scopes are Vortex Viper or Leupold.
Leupold does its fair share of manufacturing in China.

LineStretcher

My first question would be what have you designed the rifle to do? If the rifle is strictly short range tactical then go with a red dot and maybe an 3x behind it. Target acquisition will be much faster if that's what you're after.

If what you're really doing is trying to get accurate shot placement at 100 yards on a limited budget then take a look at the Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44mm. It has probably the largest field of view in it's price range. I have one and like it.

hounddog409

Leupold® is issuing a consumer alert to purchasers of Leupold riflescope products, particularly via internet sales, in regards to counterfeit Leupold products that are illegally imported from the People’s Republic of China. These fake products bear many of the trademarks and trade dress of current Leupold & Stevens riflescopes, and are sometimes difficult to distinguish externally from authentic Leupold products.

Common counterfeit scopes purport to be Mark 4 riflescopes, VX-III riflescopes, Prismatic riflescopes, CQ/T riflescopes, LCO sights, and Deltapoint Pro sights. These counterfeits are regularly returned to us for service due to failures; however, counterfeit products are not manufactured by Leupold and are not covered by the Leupold Full Lifetime Guarantee. We do not provide service for counterfeit products.

That is from the Leupold website.
......sorry Leupolds are not made in China.

hounddog409

More from the counterfeit message.

Leupold riflescopes are all designed, machined, and assembled in our Beaverton Oregon manufacturing facility. We do not have any other riflescope manufacturing facilities or offices anywhere in the world. So if you come across a Leupold riflescope being shipped into the United States from China, it is a very likely a counterfeit.

reynolds357

.....sorry Leupolds are not made in China.
Really? Their scopes may be U.S. assembled either in whole or in part but some "Leupolds" are indeed made in China. I have a pair of their binoculars that unless my eyes deceive me has the words "made in China" displayed in tiny print on their box. They are NOT counterfeit. They were purchased from a very large, very reputable Leupold dealer.
As a side note, I have a pair of Chinese made Zeiss Binos that are nothing short of spectacular.

Last edited:

TBM900

......sorry Leupolds are not made in China.
Sorry.....but much of their glass, tubes, bodies, rings, dials, etc, are in fact made in china.

There is a huge difference between 'made in' and 'assembled in'. And even then 'made in U.S.' often still can legally qualify using foreign components.

I hate to say it but China is producing some very nice glass.

oldscot3

i found a nice balance of quality v. cost with Weaver on the upper end of their line. I have several Super Slams that i caught on sale; they are Japanese glass and I have no complaints so far.

The next notch down is their Grand Slam products, I have a pair of binoculars in that line. Nice clear optics, but minor complaints with the objective covers that won't stay on and the twist up eye cups (fragile, stripped one right away and I'm not rough on equipment much).

TimW77

Have been looking at 1-6X and 1-8X and similar scopes...

Seems to be a lot of scopes nowadays in these ranges so I'm going to expand my search beyond the 3 I mentioned...

Tim