Los Angeles Councilman would make failure to report gun loss a crime

44 AMP

Staff
I still say it is insulting!

If you want a law to encourage responsible behavior and covering the butt of the (former) gun owner, you word it differently. The sponsor of this law is telking about sending a crime victim to JAIL!

As far a "police finding it before a crime can be committed", guess what, a crime has already been committed. Theft. This kind of statement implies that the theft of your gun is not a "crime" worthy of police attention, but the use of your stolen gun is.

If you must have a law on this matter (and I don't think we should), why not something that doesn't include jail time? Why not just have something that says that knowingly failing to report stolen guns gets you a fine, and/or not indemnifying you against responsibility if you don't report it. Why jail? just to scare people?

It is insulting. But then, so are seatbelt laws. Just another excuse for the govt. to stick their hand in your wallet, if you don't behave in as "socially responsible" way, even if the only person at risk is yourself. Of course wearing your seatbelt is a good idea. It being a law is not.

The older I get, the more I find so many of our new laws insulting. Doesn't mean I don't obey them (it's cheaper), but I don't have to like it.