Looks like I collect .32s now

Jim Watson

In the pre- antibiotic era, a smallbore was a viable weapon.
A penetrating torso hit could be a death sentence. Psychological stoping power.

In modern times, the European police .32 was just backup to the police submachine gun.

German police went 9mm in the 1970s to combat the Baader Meinhoff Gang and the Red Army Brigade.

jrothWA

Interesting to recall, that OSS agents..

actually preferred the .32 ACP over the .380 ACP round when carrying the Colt Model M.

They though is was more accurate than the ,380.

Model12Win

actually preferred the .32 ACP over the .380 ACP round when carrying the Colt Model M.

They though is was more accurate than the ,380.
That's because they were secret agents who needed mouse gun sized weapons and who did assassination style close range attacks.

The .32 is a joke of a fightsman's cartridge. Even some loads of .22LR have more energy at the muzzle than the .32.

HighValleyRanch

Even some loads of .22LR have more energy at the muzzle than the .32.

Name ONE even?
Mayber you are looking at rifle stats?
In Ballistisc by the inch, the Stinger looks like the highest out of a four inch barrel at 115 ft. pounds ME.

Out of my tiny Seecamp, Winchester 71 grain at 1000 fps equals 158 foot pounds. The .22 doesn't come close.

Last edited:

jonfon10

Dakota.potts the ruby craftmanship isn't bad at least in the example I have. They have the same lock up system as the colt 1903. Another one I have been looking at getting from a friend is LANGENHAN I which is a German copy of the browning 1900 with some changes. I love how now a day 32acp is talked down on but it was all the range during WWI and in many European countries. I would also like to get my hands on a savage 1907. That would be a fun gun to mess with.

smee78

OP, congrats on your 3 new projects. Please keep us posted on your work, I would like to see your progress. I got into the world of 32's during the last 22 shortage and have not looked back.

As for the power of a 32, I carry one daily at work due to the need of deep carry. I feel better having my NAA Guardian in 32acp VS just my d!ck to protect me. I practice with my 32 and feel confidant of being able to hit my target at a reasonable distance.

Would I prefer a larger caliber? Of course but I also would like to know the exact time and place I would need it but that's not going to happen either so.

HisSoldier

In at least one case, (the Vz. 24) the gun was actually designed in a more powerful cartridge which required a locked breech mechanism and added expense and time to manufacturing.

I have a Vz. 24 with it's superb rotary barrel locking system, it's chambered in .380 and is very reliable. The story of it's early design is interesting and I for one feel it is far superior to the model 27, not because of the larger round but because of the locking system. There have been a few rotary barrel lockup designs, Colt even made one in .45 ACP a few years ago, which failed because it was poorly thought out.
You may want to get a Remington 51 in .32, as it's one of the few pistols in that caliber with a locking system of sorts. Another is the little KelTec .32 I think, but not many more.
I imagine it's harder to get a lower powered round to function well with a locked breech.

Dain Bramage

My name is Dain...
*Hi Dain!*
...and I have the start of a .32 addiction.

I have a 1903 and a FEG AP.
And four revolvers in .32 mag or .327.

Ibmikey

Mod12Win, “Zero stopping power” tell that to the assassin who used an FN 7.65mm pistol to start WWI when a single shot to each killed Archduke Ferdinand and wife Sophie.

Dakota Potts, The Zastava 70 is a slick little pistol that is made well, shoots well ( I killed a couple of Texas hogs in a trap with one shot to each) is reliable and current offerings are inexpensive. I put mine in a shoulder holster and threw it in the console of my Jeep for a “ truckgun”.

Last edited:

tallball

My Mauser 1914 is a WW1 veteran and fun to shoot. My Beretta Model 100 is basically a 32acp target pistol. Just today I picked up a Taurus Millenium 32acp that seems like it will also be a lot of fun to shoot. If you reload, 32acp is cheap entertainment.

dakota.potts

Mod12Win, “Zero stopping power” tell that to the assassin who used an FN 7.65mm pistol to start WWI when a single shot to each killed Archduke Ferdinand and wife Sophie.

So would it be fair to say that if it doesn't have stopping power, it has starting power?

I am out of town at a rifle expo now but I hope to start on the first project (the 27) very soon.

Ibmikey

Dakota. Now that is the best response that could have been made:)
I have about a dozen pistols in.32 ACP so I am a bit biased.

Dain Bramage

There have been conflicting reports over the years, but it has been definitively settled that Gavrilo Princip used an FN 1910 in 9mm short (.380 ACP) to start WWI.

Ibmikey

Dain I stand corrected, however, there are those who catalog the .32 and .380 as being inept. I would not enjoy being shot with either.

HighValleyRanch

Only .32 I had was a Seecamp. You couldn't fire a mag without some kind of failure. I dumped it FAST.

Did you use the recommended ammo?
The seecamps can be finicky about ammo, but once you find the right combo, they are reliable. Because they are so small, the tolerances are very tight.

Ibmikey

High Valley, As I remember my buddy’s back up Seecamp utilized Winchester silvertip and functioned flawlessly. Silvertip is hard to find today and requires an armored car full of cash to purchase a box, my Walther (pre war) .32 will shoot most anything reliably and is a dream to shoot with the ammo they were designed for. Once the .380 was introduced to the PPK it began it’s infamous reputation as an unpleasant pistol to shoot ( talking about PPK not PP or PPK S).