Looking to upgrade my AR optics!

Adventurer 2

My AR started with iron sights, then a 1-4 scope, then an Eotech red dot, then a 4x Acog with chevron, now it has a 1-8 lighted LPVO - i think it is best for my needs - up close 1 power lighted is close to a red dot in performance. 300 yards 8 X groups better than the Acog at 100 yards.

stagpanther

@ stagpanther,

I'll be happy with 150 yards with a 7.5" AR pistol it's going on, with supersonic bullets.
With the right cartridge should not be a problem. I have a 10.5" 300BO pistol also--without any kind of attachment on the buffer tube to avoid any chance of arguments or arrest--I can usually get around MOA at 100 yds using one of my good handloads featuring Barnes TAC-TX bullets and a Bushnell R 25 unmagnified red dot (which in my book is a pretty crappy optic). The RT 3 I'm sure would easily give precision well past what I would consider reasonable hunting distance for the 300 BO.

taylorce1

@ MarkCO,

Honestly blown away by the RT-6 right now, and I haven't mounted it yet. Reticle is about perfect, the only complaint I have so far is the illumination is overwhelmed with justba little bit of sunlight. Edge to edge clarity is really good, and the eye box seems very generous through all the power range.

@ stagpanther,

I'm going give the RT-3 a shot, but I think I might get another RT-6 to replace it. The reticle is just a little small for my tastes, and eye position seems more critical. The illumination is better than the RT-6 by a huge margin, and the optics are very good as well. I do believe it'll be much better than my old RD and magnifier set up.

If we weren't having 35-40 mph + winds today I'd head out and play with the RT-3.

stagpanther

I'm going give the RT-3 a shot, but I think I might get another RT-6 to replace it. The reticle is just a little small for my tastes, and eye position seems more critical. The illumination is better than the RT-6 by a huge margin, and the optics are very good as well. I do believe it'll be much better than my old RD and magnifier set up.
Even if it turns out you can't warm up to the RT 3--my bet is you'll have no problem finding someone to buy it. The reticle does seem small at first, but after a while I grew accustomed to quick acquire with the horseshoe and then refine "aim small" with the center dot. It does have a short eye relief but I've never had a problem with that on a conventional AR.

Shadow9mm

took a better look at the TR-6 in comparison to the PA I am looking at. Main issue is its hold overs are in mils. I prefer to stick to MOA. I have tried mils, I regret it honestly.

taylorce1

I need to get out and shoot my AR with the RT-6 on it. Ive been busy working on my shooting range getting it back in shape. I should have a range report in a few days..

Shadow9mm

I need to get out and shoot my AR with the RT-6 on it. Ive been busy working on my shooting range getting it back in shape. I should have a range report in a few days..
looking forward to it. how is the eye relief? do you have a good window? Or do you have to be in just the right place?

AlaBusa

Check out the Athlon Helos BTR Gen 2 2-12x42
90b17c3e71f83d20d6252840c0bbdf17.jpg

I have it on my AR and love it and the reticle is quite nice and usable.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

taylorce1

@ Shawdo9mm, eyer relief is aroun 4" with a forgiving eye box. I was able to mount it forward enough to clear the charging handle, and still be comfortable to get behind.

@ AlBusa, I have looked at that optic it's just larger and heavier than I need on an 16" M-4 clone.

HiBC

There are not too many days left in December... We are supposed to get the BATF "regs of the day" till they change them.

Till then,speculating just raises blood pressure.

I have watched some vids that go over the alleged BATF questionnaire points system (which may change)

There is a section on sights and optics. Its pretty restrictive.

But you said you were going to SBR. That makes those troubles moot

taylorce1

HiBC said:
But you said you were going to SBR. That makes those troubles moot

I never said I'm going SBR, I said if the rules change I probably would. It really depends on what I have to do to keep my pistol legal. IF the rules don't change then I'll leave it alone and stick with the brace, maybe get a different one.

HiBC

Go to youtube and dig up the vids on AR pistols. Watch some that run the pistols through the proposed point system forms. There is a sights/optics section.
Do a search for 'BATF form 4999" There is a listing for a ATF PDF file

I'm not remembering everything very well, but I got the idea the RT-3 and RT 6 might not be OK. They got sticky about eye relief.

I only mention it because you are spending money.

But it doesn't mean much till its official

Last edited:

Pistoler0

I may be late to give some advice, but I wanted to say that I am very happy with the Atibal hybrid 12. It is a 1-12x32 LPVO available in both FFP and SFP, mil dot and also moa illuminated christmas tree reticles. The reticle is very similar to the Athlon reticle that AlaBusa posted above.

SFP:
https://atibal-optics.com/products/atibal-hybrid12-1-12x32-sfp

FFP is coming to market in January, I pre-ordered one:
https://atibal-optics.com/products/atibal-hybrid12-1-12x32-ffp-mpvo?_pos=2&_sid=315013c33&_ss=r