Looking to upgrade my AR optics!

taylorce1

Looking to add optics to one rifle in 5.56, and swap out my Red Dot off my AR pistol in .300 BLK. I'm wanting a LPVO on both and am thinking a 1-6 or 1-8 on the 5.56. There are a lot of options but I'm looking at the Burris RT6, or USO TS-6/8.

The sights I'm currently using on my .300 BLK pistol is the Sig Romeo MSR with Juliet 3X magnifier. It works okay but I'd like a little more precise for aiming than a 2 MOA dot. So I'm thinking I can find a different optic to use with my magnifier with better aiming points or go with a 1-4 variable with illuminated reticle.

I was going to order a SWFA SS 1-4X24 for the $199 black Friday price, but they weren't in stock backorder only. So I looked for other optics, and now I can't even backorder the SWFA. Currently I'm looking at the Bushnell AR Optic 1-4X24 FFP scope.

Shadow9mm

Im hoping to get a primary arms 1-6 with the acss reticle next month. They run about $400. But having the ffp means at 1x it acts like a red dot. And at 6x i have a precise aim point and easily readable yardage drop lines.

USAF Ret

I got a Bushnell Trophy Quick Acquisition 1-6x24 Riflescope, Illuminated Dot Drop Reticle for my 30-30. It's pretty sweet. You may be looking for less magnification, though.

Got a buddy who has a 4x Nikon that he is looking to sell.

taylorce1

@ Shawdo9mm
I just don't know enough about Primary Arms, I do know they are rebranded optics that they source. I also see that they offer a lifetime warranty on the optics which helps. The other optics I listed are also in the price range and both USO scopes are FFP and still under $500.

I usually start with Leupold, Burris, or Vortex for mid priced optics and hit Bushnell or Sig if I'm going a little cheaper. It has worked out pretty well for me. This was going to be possibly my first purchase of U.S. Optics as I liked the price and reticle options.

@ stagpanther,
That might work on my BO, thanks for the suggestion.

@ MarkCO,
Thanks for the input on the RT-6.

@ USAF Ret,
Thanks for the offer, but I'm looking for a variable optic.

stagpanther

popping an rt3 on an AR can shave about a pound +/- off the total weight right off the bat. Burris came out with it years before vortex and primary arms came out with their own versions of the RT3. Just try one and I'd be surprised if you didn't like it. I tried one and now have 4 of them riding on ARs.

Shadow9mm

Only have 1 primary arms optic. A 4-14x44. Its a touch heavy but the glass is better than vortex and bushnell, and very close to leupold. Its also strong. I dropped my rifle off a farm truck. The scope hit the steel side and gouged the metal on the knob. Other than the ding the scope was not damaged and held zero. I really like the acss reticle and FFP. If i want usa made and lighter weight, leupold all day long. But i feel PA makes a great scope

mikejonestkd

Like Stag said- the burris RT3 prism is dandy.
I liked mine so much that I bought a second one, then got an RT5 to put on another AR.....

litework

I think you made a good choice with that Burris RT-6. I received mine a few days ago and mounted it on a Ruger SFAR. It looks good but I'll sight it in this weekend - along with a couple of others low power optics.

taylorce1

I hope to have the optics here by early next week.
Well I'm wrong again, I'm supposed to have the optics delivered today! If the weather is nice I can try the RT-3 this weekend. The mount for the RT-6 is still a few days out.

stagpanther

Well I'm wrong again, I'm supposed to have the optics delivered today! If the weather is nice I can try the RT-3 this weekend. The mount for the RT-6 is still a few days out.
With a level out on the end of the handguard you'll be surprised how accurate you can shoot with it at distances beyond 300 yds.

MarkCO

@ stagpanther,

I'll be happy with 150 yards with a 7.5" AR pistol it's going on, with supersonic bullets.
Granted I have a 10.5" on my pistol AR. But with 77s and a Red dot, I can hold a 10" plate out to 400 yards. They really are pretty decent all things considered.

I have a RT1 in waiting after I see what the ATF brings down on us with the "pistol brace fiasco". Removes a few points going from a "scope" to a Red dot with long eye releif.

taylorce1

MarkCO said:
Granted I have a 10.5" on my pistol AR. But with 77s and a Red dot, I can hold a 10" plate out to 400 yards. They really are pretty decent all things considered.

It's a little easier to get to 400 yards shooting a .223, than it is for me shooting a .300 BLK! If the ATF rules like I expect, I'll do the stamp and make a true SBR. Then I'll put a nice stock on it, instead of the Shockwave Blade brace I have.

I can ring a 10" plate pretty decent with the current 2 MOA red dot at 100 with both supers and subs. It gets pretty iffy at 200 with the supers, and the subs I have to lob in like a gernade launcher.