Looking to replace my old chronograph

mehavey

Labradar actually has an internal setting to specify the muzzle offset from the side of the
system.... therefore the geometry of actual muzzle velocity derivation.

Any (extremely) small error that might be introduced by deviation from that offset pales in
comparison to the Radar's use in all conditions w/o any effect on barrel dynamics

HiBC

Just to clarify,when I refer to "CED" the model I am using is ProChrono.

It was interesting the ProChrono gave results quite consistent with LabRadar.

I'll say again,setting sun results with Prochrono,in my experience,can be a bit off.

Something else I noticed watching a Youtube vid of a guy taking vel readings.

He had the chrono positioned low, so he was shooting through the traps at a downward angle.

IMO, we need to shoot through a shadow chronograph with the bullet path square to the chronograph.
The bullet shadow starts and stops a timer. It measures time over distance.

If you chrono is square to the bullet path, you are timing the designed distance. If the chrono is out of square to the shot, the distance gets longer,shadow to shadow. Its a diagonal. You'll get low velocity readings.

So,line them up good! Besides,you'll be less likely to blast those rods or a skyscreen!

hounddawg

does not really matter, apparently China has declared no more Labradar for youse guys

IMO, we need to shoot through a shadow chronograph with the bullet path square to the chronograph.
The bullet shadow starts and stops a timer. It measures time over distance.

If you chrono is square to the bullet path, you are timing the designed distance. If the chrono is out of square to the shot, the distance gets longer,shadow to shadow. Its a diagonal. You'll get low velocity readings.

I agree that is why I use a cheap laser boresight and a piece of paper, along with a tape measure. That way the unit will be picking up the bullet at the same place everytime. Takes me less than 3 minutes to position my chrono. I also use corro plastic side curtains and top on the sunscreens. 99.9 % of my shots get picked up and always at the same place at a 90 degree angle to the unit

Last edited:

hounddawg

I think you mean assembled and marketed, 5 bucks says all those boards and chips speak mandarin

when was the last time you saw one for sale ?

kilotanker22

After using the magnetospeed and the lab radar, ai will never go back to an optical chronograph. The lab radar works beautifully as long as it is aimed and. Positioned to the muzzle properly. And saves all the day to a spreadsheet so you can import them on your PC or Mac.

The magnetospeed is one of the most consistent chronograph units I have used. Although, it is a hassle to mount to certain guns, and it changes the point of impact and group size on all my rifles. So I test for velocity and groups by shooting more than one string. With the lab radar this is not necessary.

If you have the coin, buy the Labrador and a decent tripod. Otherwise, you can get the magnetospeed for only $80 more than a pro Chrono if you buy the Sporter version

hounddawg

If you have the coin, buy the Labrador and a decent tripod.

and pick up 16 pounds of Varget while you're at it...seriously when was the last time you saw one available? A year or year and a half ago ?I doubt you can even find one available for backorder

Yep. The same chip shortage that is jamming up the auto industry is messing with other manufacturers as well, and not just in the U.S.

We seem, finally, to be learning a lesson from that, both about overreliance on just-in-time-inventory and overreliance on overseas manufacturers. Here in Ohio, Intel is setting up a couple of chip manufacturing lines in New Albany, just an hour's drive from me.

kilotanker22

and pick up 16 pounds of Varget while you're at it...seriously when was the last time you saw one available? A year or year and a half ago ?I doubt you can even find one available for backorder
I have not even looked for one to be honest. I bought mine about a year ago from Midway USA.

hounddawg

Yep. The same chip shortage that is jamming up the auto industry is messing with other manufacturers as well, and not just in the U.S.

what is odd though is you can easily find any other brand Chrono. Also AMP annealers, Shotmarker target systems, Auto Tricklers and other automatic powder dispensers which all rely on chips. Even computer gaming video cards which only a few months ago were going for a kings ransom are back to pre covid normal prices.

My something new for the day was learning that the LR is Canadian based and that led me to find out that Canada is becoming a world leader in producing semi conductors.

Canada is already home to some of the world’s largest semiconductor producers and designers, including TSMC, Samsung Electronics, AMD, Qualcomm and Intel.

https://www.investcanada.ca/blog/why-canada-solution-global-semiconductor-shortage

kilotanker22

what is odd though is you can easily find any other brand Chrono. Also AMP annealers, Shotmarker target systems, Auto Tricklers and other automatic powder dispensers which all rely on chips. Even computer gaming video cards which only a few months ago were going for a kings ransom are back to pre covid normal prices.

My something new for the day was learning that the LR is Canadian based and that led me to find out that Canada is becoming a world leader in producing semi conductors.

https://www.investcanada.ca/blog/why-canada-solution-global-semiconductor-shortage
Interesting, Canada producing more.of those items would be lucrative for both of us.

Chip availability all depends on which chips are used in a design. If anyone specified chips that are also used by the automotive industry or that are made on the same line as chips used by the automotive industry, then heaven help them in trying to find parts right now. But if you use simple IC's that don't require the super-high resolution computer CPU chip-making equipment, then they can be made on older and less expensive equipment, and you can probably still find what you need.

hounddawg

LR was first marketed in 2015 which means it was being developed a decade ago. In computer years that is at least a century. But then caldwell is having supply chain issues getting their Velociradar to market, maybe this year?

Just me but I have never been impressed by the management at LR. It started with a bad experience with their cs when I owned one and watching them fumble with the bluetooth and the other failings over the years. Battery life, alt power connector, lack of a hardwired remote, unstable mount etc etc

Last edited:

HiBC

Or just buy a 10"x10" steel plate from Home depot, bolt a swivel head to it, and C-clamp the plate to the bench.

At first glance,it seems simple and practical. But......A Buddy set mine (Chrono) up a bit too close to the muzzle of his 338 Lapua. Aside from taking flight,the gas blast blew the graphics off the unit. ProChono CS fixed me up.but I'd say the unit must be 10 or 15 yds downrange, I don't know how to do that C-clamping to the shooting bench.The bench ends at the firing line. I use a tripod positioned downrange.
Obviously shooting from 10 yards behind the firing line is unsafe at a public range.

The only reason I bring it up is to save someone from getting the plate and the C-clamp ,driving 50 miles to the range then figuring out .."Wait a minute..."

mehavey

the unit must be 10 or 15 yds downrange
The LabRadar must be downrange?
I'm having trouble visualizing how that works*

I admit the the 10x10 plate mount presumes a bench the can accommodate the muzzle position necessary to keep muzzle blast from direct impact.

pistolas... pretty much even with the unit:
https://thefiringline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6686918&postcount=13

showpost.php

For rifles ... high blast, low blast, deflected blast... place LabRadar using forethought:
See https://www.gunboards.com/attachments/muzzle-brake-positions-jpg.2823729/

* Note, I have no problem with the 50 Beowulf on the same bench with the LabRadar.
Just have to place unit ahead slightly so rearward [big time] brake blast is on my side of the unit
Video at 1:30

Last edited:

HiBC

The LabRadar must be downrange?
I'm having trouble visualizing how that works*

OK I've never used a Lab Radar. My conventional , old school chronograph is positioned in front of the muzzle . Different technology,I guess.

A C-clamp and a plate won't work for the type of chronograph I use.

Reloadron

This is a link to the Lab RADAR owners manual. The link describes operation and setup fairly well.

As tpo selecting a chronograph I suggest the following. Start with a blank sheet of white paper. a good pencil and a large eraser. List all of the qualities and features ypou want or expect in a chronograph. Everything out there you expect to do. This includes things like how many shots you can record and store. The ability to upload any and all data to a PC and everything you can think of. Look at what is out there and keep in mind your budget. Then start shopping within your budget.

Lab RADAR suffered setbacks in its beginnings including finally getting a working unit into production. Following several release date setbacks the first units were available. Along the path to today there have been hardware and software revisions and today they seem to be a good reliable product.

I still use and like my Oehler 35P which goes back over 25 years with me. Back in the day it was the standard but that was over 25 years ago. Since it still works well I am not about to replace it but if I were I would likely be considering a Lab RADAR unit.

Just My Take....
Ron