Looking to replace my old chronograph

totaldla

I don't want to spend a $1000. I do want remote display capability, memory for at least 1 string of 10 shots, and auto calculate high, low, average, extreme spread, standard deviation. I'm currently using a 20 year old Crony Alpha Master and the near death experiences are catching up with it.

Usually about 10% off during a sale. I consider it the best, most useful modernization of chronographs, but a few folks have had trouble with them or don't like them. You can find other threads on the subject here.

If you stick with optical chronographs, the Oehler 35P is probably the king of the roost. The CED Millenium is a less expensive alternative that works well and is a bit easier to set up.

There are also now the Magnetospeed units. Bryan Litz says they work well and some folks here use them. The main drawbacks are there is no easy way to use one with a semi-auto pistol due to slide movement, and they affect the point of aim on a rifle and can prevent best load tuning being done, so you may or may not be able to measure loads as you develop them, instead having to do it later or intermittently with individual rounds that don't hit the same POI.

hounddawg

I do want remote display capability

Caldwell
Pro Chrono

Labradar - even 7 years after it's release it is a case of pay your money and takes your chance. Even with the last update the bluetooth is buggy and not reliable. Do some googling using the search term " Labaradar bluetooth update"and decide for yourself

memory for at least 1 string of 10 shots, and auto calculate high, low, average, extreme spread, standard deviation.

all modern chronos will do that

For pure accuracy I would say the magnetospeed. That is the only one I believe that cannot be affected by external conditions or user setup.

All opticals and the Labradar are affected by where the bullet is picked by the unit. Placement, light angle, and vibrations due to wind etc all will affect both radar and opticals. Anyone who believes their chrono is picking that bullet up at the exact same spot every time they set it up is believing a fantasy. Even a gust of wind will affect the angle etc. With my optical I use a clip on hat made of corroplastic as a light diffuser, set it up with a laser rangefinder to make sure the unit is aligned with the barrel and set the distance with a tape measure and still would not bet it is exactly the same as the previous range session

here is a chart where I compared my ProChrono, Magnetospeed, and Shotmarker with a a borrowed Labradar equipped with the external trigger add on

Attachments

• chrono comparison.jpg
    chrono comparison.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
I should mention the Oehler's and CED M2 displays are also remote by cable (not Bluetooth) and you can extend those cables. The CED has voice chip, so if you are shooting alone and using electronic hearing protection, you can hear it announce velocities without changing your sight picture. This lets you shoot and still learn if you got a bad reading.

I didn't think to mention the Shotmarker. Hounddawg convinced me I need one. I was going to pull the trigger at Christmas, but decided to wait to see if the NRA Annual Meeting Gunshow was going to happen this year (it is) and then see if I could get a discount buying one there, so I am looking at the end of May to get a copy now. Still in time for summer. With good BC information, you can work its velocity-at-the-target data backwards to find the muzzle velocity of the bullet.

hounddawg

I don't know if I would trust the shotmarker velocity readings just yet. Any vibrations of the target due to wind will affect the readings. Adam McDonald , the developer of the unit, has stated on AS forums not to put too much faith in the SM readings. I suppose I could place my optical at 100 yards and/or borrow a labradar to check the redasings with some time this month

edit here is the SM readings vs MS readings. 80 grain .243 flat base Bergers with a G1 BC of .3

The bullets lost an average of 329 FPS across the first 100 yards with a SD pf 3.7 and ES of 10. I plugged the 3140 FPS number into JBM calculations and JBM's prediction was a speed of 2812. The Shotmarker recorded 2810. Pretty darn close

But that begs the question of What do I need that data for? I am not developing a bullet, all I want is some simple data so I can adjust my scope for shooting at distance.

Attachments

• MS vs SM.jpg
    MS vs SM.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

HiBC

My chronograph experience is quite limited. In part,because I bought a CED for about $120 many years ago. Its been trouble free. Its been comparatively checked against more expensive units .The calibration seems accurate.

A friend set it up a bit too close to the firing line. The muzzle blast blew the graphics off the unit and threw it a ways. CED renewed it,no problem.

One minor characteristic,if I was to run to the range after work and try to sneak in some near sundown work, the velocity readings will go wonky. I think the lower angle of the light changes the geometry of the start/stop the bullet shadow triggers. Not a big deal.

A friend bought one of the early < $ 70 chrony hinged sheet metal units. IMO,it was OK for what it was. A great supplement for the casual handloader kit.
IMO the folding feature COULD make them less precise for absolute mesurements, but we were using it mostly for cast bullet revolver reloads.

Or where our hunting load was on the ballistic tables. Plenty good enough.

IF A CED has features and price to meet your needs, I'd sure buy another one myself.

Nathan

Labradar - even 7 years after it's release it is a case of pay your money and takes your chance. Even with the last update the bluetooth is buggy and not reliable. Do some googling using the search term " Labaradar bluetooth update"and decide for yourself

Never an issue with my Labradar. I don’t use the app. So easy to setup, I’d buy it for that alone…and I rarely ever have others at my range.

I don’t shoot air guns, suppressors, arrows, etc through it. Just rifles and pistols…maybe that is why?

cdoc42

I bought a Magnetospeed but due to the weather, I haven't had a lot of experience so far. But the biggest problem is keeping the unit from moving with serial shots and that alters result accuracy.

GeauxTide

Had a range buddy dump his Labradar after a year. He's using an older Oehler 33. I used a 33 for almost 40 years and upgraded to the 35P when they became available again. I have shot or others have shot skyscreens and Oehler has replaced them for a nominal fee. For $575, they are the standard.

mehavey

I've had (still have) my Oehler 35 -- now rarely used except to chrograpg shotguns
I've had the LABRADAR for several years now, looked back only for the shotguns

Last edited:

Scorch

I just replaced my old Chrony F1 chronograph with a new Magnetospeed. Wow! What a difference! No more shutting down the firing line for 10-15 minutes while I set up the screens, no more measuring tapes or tripods, no more getting rained on while I set it up. Just clamp it onto the barrel, turn it on, and fire. It reads out velocity, average, SD and extreme spread. Just darn cute, too. No, seriously, it is so much more convenient than the old chronographs I can't believe it! Cost me about $200 delivered and worth every cent.

AVirginian

I have 2.

Magnetospeed V3, owned for more than a few years and like it lot.

Semi-auto pistols with the Rail Adapter or the strap if I have a suppressor on.
Rifles using the strap, with or without a suppressor. As far as affecting your barrel harmonics, it guess it can, but I only use it to find velocity nodes and the remove it to shoot for accuracy.

For revolvers, I use the Caldwell and find that it works well if the light is right. The included cord, 10 feet I think works well with my Android phone.

bbqncigars

Oehler 35: very trustworthy but a PITA to set up on a busy range. Magnetospeed V2: accurate but not usable for some guns and may affect accuracy/POI. Labradar: needs some accessories (carry case, external USB power, external trigger etc.) to make it more range friendly. I am still PO'd that it didn''t come with the case for that kind of money.

RC20

Agree fully with ed308

Some issues as I have 26 inch barrels (target guns) and the bench does not allow setting the unit as close to the muzzle as needed for 100% reliable. I can help the 6.5 barrel with 24 inch. I like the recoil reduction of heavier barrels, the 6.5 Lapua is mild shooting. I think a heavier barrel on bags helps stability as well.

I just move the unit around to about 3 inches off the barrel and as close the muzzle as I can get it and it works, I get readings out to 100 yards at times with 30 caliber bullets.

The ops is a bit wonky and the manual not fully clear (to me) but I sorted out how to jump from the main screen to a shooting screen after a bit.

The buttons need a good press to take the input.

Annoying the case does not come with the unit. I mean really.

I have not use for replaceable batteries and got the battery pack. Its good for two 6 hour shooting days (if I am going to load up all the stuff and make the trip down, I am going to shoot as long as I can!)

It sure as hell beats having to try to get it set up in front of a bench and all the fussing.

Reloadron

Years ago, maybe during the early 90s my wife gave me an Oehler 35P as a Christmas gift. It has served me well ever since. While it does not have Bluetooth the unit sits right on the bench beside me. It simply works and works well doing everything I want or need. I did nick a slat on one of the screens and had a reasonably priced new slat post haste, I even bought a few extra slats.

The tripods could have been a little more sturdy but they work well enough. I have thought about upgrading but can't justify it as my 35P works so well.

Ron

Shootingsoftware.com has a review of Labradar that compares it with the CED M2 and a Magnetospeed unit. An interesting read. They have included some data functionality for Labradar in their exterior ballistics package, though they do not sell the units.

hounddawg

that is an old article Nick, and the guy totally misses that if there are changes in the distance and angle of the unit in relation to the rifle and it it will pick up the bullet at different distances from the muzzle resulting in changes in velocity reported

you want 100 % reliable and repeatable readings of muzzle velocity use a magnetospeed, for simple load development either optical or LR will do the trick