Looking to invest in a chronograph

The effect of the MS that I've seen reported most often is POI shift rather than groups getting bigger, but this is on guns that are not exactly shooting bugholes. If you have a cloverleaf shooter and add one of those to the muzzle, I would expect both POI shift and groups enlarging. However, every shooting system is a law unto itself, so I would not be surprised if someone, somewhere found his unit actually tuned his barrel to a better muzzle swing phase and shrank his groups. I don't have one, so I can't offer any personal experience with it.

Rockrivr1

Not sure about the comments on the Labradar being fragile. I have used a Labradar for a couple years now and it works perfectly every time. Linking it to a phone app makes it easy to work. The only downside I have with it is you really need an external power source when using it as it does use up a lot of power.

stagpanther

There is one feature on the labradar I would say is definitely "under engineered" and that is the USB cable connector port, I had to bend my back after it became so loose the power wouldn't stay on. No bigly, but room for improvement.

Scorch

I just recently got a MagnetoSpeed to replace my 8 year old Chrony. I use chronographs to check loads for my customers, primarily when they spent a lot of money on a scope and want to get custom turrets. I use a chrono about once or twice a year, so it's not a high use item, the primary reason I got a new chrono is I was tired of my old chrono blowing over in the wind or getting rained on while setting it up. Since the MagnetoSpeed doesn't have sky screens or panels it is more convenient than the older Chrony. So yes, I got it because I'm lazy.

RC20

I have a LabRadar. Sold a gun to buy it. One Chrono to rule them all!

1. Nothing chintzy about it.

2. I made my own steel base place out of scrap plate I had laying around, works fine. (pictures on request).

3. No, you don't need the sight at least for 100 yards, there is a technique to hold your eyeball back and above the rear bolt and notch, then lower your head to line them up, move the LR as needed and repeat. I rarely miss a shot.

4. If you want a 100% guarantee on the shot, pick up up the aux shock detector. I have not gone there but might.

5. Yes, get the spare rechargeable battery pack. Its good for about three 5-hour sessions. When its down to 25%, charge it. It goes fast after that.

Can you borrow your friends Labradar or go to the range with him? I have one and it sits in the garage 99.99% of the time. They're nice to have but not really something you end up using that often.

I bought mine to use and I use it at each range session. Why was shot 5 wild? I did not pull it. Note, check the velocity of that shot, him, 250 FPS off the rest, yep, it was a weird one.

I nicked a Chrony one time and two years later it died. Ok, I am an electronic tech, I can find the loose wire. Nope, dead, kaput, gone.

The LR is not going to get shot.

The buttons take getting used to, just a push does not do it, needs to be push and short hold. Having to buy the case extra sucks and they should be ashamed of themselves -what the hell else are you going to carry it around in? There should be a package with a steel place base, the case and the LR with a rechargeable battery.

I taped off the cute My LabRadar. Who the hell's LabRadar do they think it is? Offer to monogram my name on it when I order it.

Mostly I could not be happier.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim Watson

My only Labradar experience has been at IDPA State Championships where they were being used to verify power factor. They were working fine, although with auxiliary power to test a hundred or more guns.

Jcon72

I decided not to get the Magnetospeed because of it's limitations when it comes to attempting to use it with certain guns including semi-auto handguns, and also the fact I would like to measure arrow speed with my bow on occasion.
I settled on the ProChrono DLX which offers bluetooth connectivity with your smartphone or tablet and I'm glad that I did.

RC20

I have an old Chrony, use it occasionally. All I need.

Mine died, not abuse, just quit, pissed me off, $110 down the drain.

I hated trying to set it up and annoying to the people on the range having to wait (and I don't blame them)

LR? Zero issue

BCR1

I tried to sell my year old, never used Labradar unit, carry case, CF tripod, battery pack and rimfire trigger mic for $500 with no takers local to me. Back into the safe it went.

Then I found out the units are unattainable due to chip issues so I'm glad there were no buyers and I will start using once the weather warms up.

Bill

pete2

I have no set up problem, just put it on a tripod, line it up and shoot. About as simple as it gets.