Looking to buy something ridiculously powerfull???

Cheapshooter

But looking for something like the OP is wanting in the "ridiculously" level, is "intentionally unpleasant". As been said before, it doesn't take the biggest boomers to do that. A boot gripped Airweight J-Frame with heavy loads can be more than most folks want to handle if painful recoil is all one wants.
Again, a complete miss of the point. Where did the OP say anything about "painful" recoil?
Proper technique, and good shooting gloves take the pain out of the big boomers, but leave the raw power to be enjoyed.
Just like the idiot at the stoplight stroking the throttle on his obnoxious bike.
Bet you would really hate my inboard jet bass boat with through the hull exhaust throwing a 200' rooster tail!

Real Gun

I'm not really looking into the 500 S&W as i don't think it would kick much more than a 460, and the 460 can shoot 45lc which would be nice. "

The 460 is a good choice but don't stock up on 45 colt cause once you fire a few you will realize that even if this gun CAN shoot them, it's pretty useless to do so. It like if you could fire 223 with a Barrett .50 BMG rifle. The weight of the gun makes the 45 colt feel like you're firing .22 ammo

The gun provides an option to shoot "Ruger-only" 45 Colt loads, e.g. 17 gr 2400 behind a 300 gr XTP.

Viper225

My local gun shop has one that might work for you. It is a Taurus UltraLite Snub chambered in 44 magnum. I would like to have it to shoot shot shells in for snakes. It is very lite weight. With full house ammunition it would give new meaning to "unpleasant to shoot".
I have a 480 Super RedHawk Alaskan. It has about all the recoil I can enjoy shooting.

Bob

buck460XVR

Again, a complete miss of the point. Where did the OP say anything about "painful" recoil?
Proper technique, and good shooting gloves take the pain out of the big boomers, but leave the raw power to be enjoyed.

I guess I misunderstood the part where he says this.....

Hello All,

I've been wanting to buy a handgun that has a ridiculous amount of recoil. The type of gun that i'd basically only shoot a few rounds out of every trip to the range.

I'm not really looking into the 500 S&W as i don't think it would kick much more than a 460.

Ridiculous must mean funny and not painful, yes? Ridiculous as in having my friends/wife shoot it and drop it on the ground so I can You-Tube it funny maybe, eh? Unfortunately, in every large group there are jerks, and the shooting sports are no exception. One particular kind of jerk is the sadist that delights in giving a new shooter a powerful, punishing gun to shoot, knowing that the shooter lacks the skill and experience to handle the recoil. The Internet is full of “funny” videos of this kind, where people are battered, bruised, and cut open by guns they have no business firing. Somehow I didn't relate "raw power" to "ridiculous recoil". I related it the other way. Must have been the word "ridiculous"....me bad. I doubt very much if the OP is worried about technique or shooting gloves when it's the recoil that seems to be the only concern here. Kinda evident when he doesn't want a more powerful .500 mag handgun, because it doesn't "kick" any more than it's sister in .460. Look at my Username. I shoot between 500 and 1000 rounds a year thru my X-Frame. Lots of your "raw power", never had to wear shooting gloves and my youngest son has been shooting it since he was 11 and weighed 90 pounds. We both have a purpose for it other than recoil and it takes plenty of practice with it for that intent. Helps it don't hurt. Of course we worked up to full power loads without any You-Tube videos. One only has to GTS to find a coupla true stories about folks that were killed when their friend/family gave them a gun thinking that it would be funny to see them shoot it. Pretty ridiculous, eh?

hdwhit

Surely someone has brought this quest to a head by now by making a pistol in the penultimate non-NFA cartridge, the 50 BMG.

OzeanJaeger

.460 if you buy ammunition.

.500 is a reloaders dream revolver.

There is no comparison in full house loads. The .500 will reach African dangerous game levels at the top of the table shooting pills most magnum rifles dream about.

You can load specials that recoil like .38s, or go full John Ross and dislocate a shoulder.

I’d ignore the people who think you have to have some sort of inferiority complex to have fun shooting giant handguns. They’ve probably only shot a plastic 9mm, and think it’ll kill dragons.

While I agree that making a small engine obnoxiously loud is pointless, some are loud because they’re obnoxiously powerful (like a .500 Magnum).

My F5 Cobra has a stroked 427 and a thumper cam. I have to idle into my neighborhood so my neighbors don’t call the cops. The Mickey Thompson’s on it are like eraser rubber, but you have to be gentle on the peddle to keep it hooked up with 650hp pushing a 2,000lb car. It will blow smaller super bikes off the line. Why? Because it’s awesome, and the most fun car to drive, period. It isn’t under glass like a real one, and quite frankly it’s more powerful and handles better than the real thing.

Fun to shoot is a plenty good reason to me.

I guess I must have a manhood problem/inferiority complex, because I also have one of the first X Frames S&W offered, and love reloading for it and shooting it...endless possibilities.

Then again, maybe I just like big cams, solid lifters, huge horsepower, and loud explosions.:D

jason.h

It's a bit funny the direction this thread went in,
Just wanted to say i would never let some one inexperienced shoot something like a 460.
I'll probably buy the s&w 460 with the 8 3/8" barrel and buy a box of 360 gr Buffalo bore loads. If needed i heard that you can remove the compensator from the revolver to make it kick more, might even buy a pair of wood grips.

And if i'm making a mistake, these guns seem to keep their value on the used market so that is good.

disseminator

It's a bit funny the direction this thread went in,
Just wanted to say i would never let some one inexperienced shoot something like a 460.
I'll probably buy the s&w 460 with the 8 3/8" barrel and buy a box of 360 gr Buffalo bore loads. If needed i heard that you can remove the compensator from the revolver to make it kick more, might even buy a pair of wood grips.

And if i'm making a mistake, these guns seem to keep their value on the used market so that is good.

You won't regret the 460 XVR, I guaranty it.

I have some 400 grain WFNGC doing around 1650 ish that shoot really nice. Recoil is characteristic of the 45 caliber: soft but firm.

I let my adult daughter shoot the 460 at the range, people looked at us like it was the end of the world but they didn't know I had loaded the gun with 45 Colt loads and it recoils like a 22 with those.

;)

Dieselhorses

Flexibility

I, personally, like "flexibility". Like "Disseminator" said, If you want a revolver with "punch, range, effectiveness" and one of those "make my day" wheel guns, yes, the .460 S&W would be a taker! .460, .454 Casull and .45 LC are all rounds you can shoot with many options to reload. My 500 is at the mercy of one caliber BUT I still have many options with the loads.

I've always purchased my ammo or had ammo on hand BEFORE I bought what it went in. I always familiarized myself with the "specifics" of certain ammo before spending hundreds or even thousands.:)