Looking to buy something ridiculously powerfull???

jason.h

Hello All,

I've been wanting to buy a handgun that has a ridiculous amount of recoil. The type of gun that i'd basically only shoot a few rounds out of every trip to the range.

I recently rented a S&W .460 with an 8 3/8" barrel. I was underwhelmed by it, I was able to shoot it one handed no problem, and felt that i might even be able to shoot it with my off hand (but didn't try).

I live in California so my options are limited, how big of a difference do you guys think the 5" barrel 460 would make, it is almost 12oz lighter?

I have also looked into the Magnum Research BFR in 45-70, does anyone have experience with? Would it kick more than a 460? The 45-70 casing is a lot longer, but i'm not sure if a comparison would be that easy being that it is a rifle round.

I have also been hearing about the Thompson Center-fire Encore in 30-06. Does anyone have experience with the 30-06 pistol 15" barrel, how is the kick?

Also if there are any other firearms that I haven't come across let me know. I'm not really looking into the 500 S&W as i don't think it would kick much more than a 460, and the 460 can shoot 45lc which would be nice.

Thanks!

HighValleyRanch

.357 180 grain hard cast Buffalo Bore outdoorsman in an 17 ounce LCR with wood grips is what you are looking for!LOL:D

A few shots of that one bare handed should tame your quest for recoil.

CDR_Glock

Smith 500 Snubby. Shoot 700 Grain Underwood bullets. That ought to be what you’re after.

I shoot a Ruger 454 Casull Alaskan with 360 gr Buffalo Bore. It isn’t bad.

Recoil depends upon the larger grain weight, and a lighter gun with a shorter barrel.

Even a Scandium frame 357 with 180 grain Lead cast bullets will satisfy your craving.

BFR 45-70 should be good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

lamarw

If you want this hand cannon so you can go to a public range and show off and annoy other folks, then you are one kind of fellow.

If you want this hand cannon so you can go to a private spot in the woods and plink around where no one but you are at, then you are another type of person.

Then if you need a powerful handgun for protection from huge creatures, then you truely have a requirement.

CDR_Glock

0d26c2c45ae1fc69520798a7354d4899.jpg

I’m a recoil junkie, too. But I prefer shooting out in the woods.

Instagram: MuzzleblastMD

weblance

Magnum Research also makes the BFR in 444 Marlin, and 30-30. I think the 45-70 or 444 would fit the requirement

Rfactor

I've shot the BFR in 45-70. I am 6'4" about 320, and it was awesome. The recoil almost tattooed my forehead! You could look for a Brim 450 Marlin, that should be even more exciting!

m&p45acp10+1

Save yourself some money. Skip a revolver that cost near, or into 4 figures. Get a Shock Wave, or the Remington version in 12 Gauge. Load it up with magnum nitro loads of your choosing. Ammo cost will be cheaper, and you get lots of wrist beating, recoil filled fun, and you do not have to take out a second mortgage on your house to buy a box of ammo for it.

For a revolver what it sounds like you are seeking look for a snub nose of any caliber. Hot loads in a Taurus Public Defender can be a hand full in such a small gun. The .480 Ruger Alaskan is punishing, as is the .454 Cassul version. You said you want one that you can feel a whole lot of recoil. One of those will do it, and the .454 gives you the option of going down to .45 Colt for easier shooting once the beating your wrist fun wears off.

Cheapshooter

My TC Contender with the 10" 45-70 barrel kinda lets you know it's there! The 35 Remington barrel isn't far behind. Get a 'Tender, or Encore, and you can play with things from 22 rimfire to things you might want to only shoot once.

laytonj1

I've been wanting to buy a handgun that has a ridiculous amount of recoil.
Big difference between big power and big recoil. High power handgun cartridges are usually chambered in large heavy guns to keep recoil down.

If what you want is recoil then you want a smaller lightweight gun chambered in medium powered cartridge, such as a Ruger LCR in 357 or one of S&W's scandium revolvers in 357, 41 or 44 mag. They will get your attention real fast.

If you just want the most powerful then a S&W 500 Mag shooting 500gr + bullet weights is the top dog. And yes, it's a step up from the 460.

However, eventually you will grow out of this desire to beat your hand up (I know I did) so don't spend a lot of money on this endeavor.

Jim

T. O'Heir

It's more about the muzzle blast and flash with a shorter barrel. Also the bullet weight matters. A 250 grain bullet at 1400 FPS out of a 4.5 lb. handgun has 12.8 ft-lbs. of recoil. A 300 grain bullet at 1784) FPS out of the same firearm has 32.1 ft-lbs.
A 350 grain .500 S&W Mag. at 1739 FPS out of that same 4.5 pound firearm has 45.6 ft-lbs. of energy.
The real bruiser is a 400 grain .500 Linebaugh at 1550 FPS out of a 3 pound pistol. 62.3 ft-lbs.

buck460XVR

Hello All,

I've been wanting to buy a handgun that has a ridiculous amount of recoil. The type of gun that i'd basically only shoot a few rounds out of every trip to the range.

Get a S&W airweight and shoot .38+p. Will give you the same recoil effect while being much easier on the pocketbook than a .460/.500 X-Frame($350 vs $1000) and the ammo to feed it.

What is the fascination with "a ridiculous amount of recoil"? It's really not useful for anything other than trying to impress others with, and that quickly wears off. While sometime harsh recoil is a by-product of a light gun/heavy loads needed for a particular task, it will and does take it's toll.

I enjoy shooting my .460 at the range and most times will shoot a minimum of 20 rounds outta it at every range session. Most times more. The heft and weight, plus the comp make so it's just as pleasant to shoot as my 629s and 686s. The gun I dislike shooting is my 637 with my +p SD/HD loads, but at least I have a purpose for it other than getting my hand/wrist/arm beat up just for feces and giggles.

Rock Hammer

Super Blackhawk Bisley SS 6.5 " barrel 454 Casull......454 for the recoil junkie and 45 LC for having fun at the range..........I have 2 - 460's awesome guns but I shoot the SBH way more and they are simply Beautiful , for a few hundred bucks a lifetime of enjoyment .......Good Luck and Happy New Year....