Looking Forward -- Gun Choices

Pep in CA

As someone who is looking forward to hunting in retirement (not quite yet), I've been researching gun choices on the Internet. I so far have 3 favorites that I think will cover everything I would need.

Note that I have never hunted before, but I do think I'm a pretty good researcher. Nevertheless, there is no substitute for actual experience. Hence this thread.

Here are my favorite choices so far:

1) Savage 11 Trophy Hunter XP Package in .308 Win. Comes equipped with a Nikon 3-9X40 scope out of the box. Seems like a sweet deal for $580 and reviews are very positive.

2) Mossberg's new 835 Ulti-Mag Turkey/Waterfowl Combo in 12 ga.. Comes with 2 interchangeable barrels --- 24" full choke for turkey and 28" "Accu-Mag Set" choke (whatever that means) for waterfowl.

3) Marlin 336C in 30-30. For wild hogs.

Note, I already have .22LR rifle for varmint control.

It seems to me that would cover the entire spectrum at very reasonable prices.

Opinions and advice appreciated. What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

22-rimfire

I think you have the bases covered and you would have the Marlin as a back up deer rifle or to loan to a family member.

With varmints and a suitable rifle, it really depends on the varmint. A .223 would be a reasonable choice. You have the home defense issue covered?

Pep in CA

You have the home defense issue covered?

I do, or at least I think so. I have a Remington 870 express tactical shotgun and a Glock 19 pistol -- my primary guns at the moment. For home defense, and they stay that way.

TimSr

I lived in Ca. and hunted hogs in the 80s, at Ft Hunter Liggett, and Los Padres NF, and honestly, I think out there, you'll find the scoped .308 more useful for hog hunting, but the lever gun is fun and makes a nice spare.

For the shotgun, it will depend on what you are hunting with it. I'm not a waterfowler, but a plain Jane production line 12 gauge with screw in chokes will cover everything from rabbit, squirrel, dove, and turkey quite well. Nothing wrong with going expensive if it's in your budget, and to your taste, but certainly not necessary.

The problem with research is that most hunting info sources are sponsored by companies telling you have to have all the latest fancy stuff they sell.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Agree with TimSr on the shotgun, although I prefer a ribbed barrel. Screw-in chokes solve many problems. :)

The main thing with any shotgun is the fit. Basically, the buttstock acts as the rear sight. Mount it to your shoulder with your eyes closed and get a firm cheek weld. When you open your eyes, you should be looking down the plane of the barrel. If you see the rib and front sight, you'll shoot high. If you can't see the front sight, you'll shoot low.

And find ammo that patterns uniformly, without "holidays". Patterns can vary with different brands of the same powder and shot size. "Just the way it is."

doofus47

I have a savage xp trophy hunter. I like it very much. It's a solid choice.

The shotgun sounds fine, but only b/c the world seems to be gravitating to magnum length shells.

The lever gun choice is a classic, but if you want to consolidate logistics, you could get a savage 99 lever rifle in 308 and then you're only buying one ammo for both rifles.

Happy retirement.

Blindstitch

They're all good choices. Almost bought an 835 to go with my two 500's but then I spent way to much money for the right reasons and got a browning citori.

The 336 is a good lever action although I prefer my winchester 94's. But you can mount a good scope on top of it and either flush mounted scope or see through scope mounts. My dad has many nice guns in different calibers and yet always picks his 336 in 30-30 for deer.

22-rimfire

I was always enamored with the Winchester 94 and the Marlin 336 as a kid. But as I grew older, I tended to favor bolt action rifles for hunting and those rifles always felt really heavy for what I thought they should be. Had wanted a Marlin 1894, but I kept thinking.... what am I going to use this thing for? Center fire plinking? So, never bought one.

Pep in CA

As the OP, thanks for the replies, guys. I have some comments to add.

I like the idea of the interchangeable barrels in the Mossberg 835 combo package because the 24" barrel seems ideal for turkeys while the longer 28" barrel seems ideal for waterfowl. A single barrel shotgun with interchangeable chokes is certainly verstatile, but the different barrel lengths made the difference for me as a choice. I'd rather change the barrel than the choke. And for a total price of about $500 new for the entire package, it seems like a great deal.

I don't consider the Marlin 336C as necessary, especially since my first choice of destination is Idaho. Not many if any wild hogs there ... yet. But I might travel to southern states for hog hunting, and a 30-30 lever gun makes a good backup home defense and large game gun. Not to mention, I just think leverguns are cool.

Cheers, and thanks again for the replies.

Mobuck

"I have a Remington 870 express tactical shotgun "

I certainly wouldn't be looking at a Mossberg if I already have an 870. Unless you're a recoil loving freak, the 3.5" has very little gain over a 3".
Not sure why you feel a 30-30 is needed for pigs if you chose a .308 hunting package.
Better keep in mind your state's draconian lead-free bullet regulations when choosing caliber/cartridge.

1tfl

IMHO it would be better to get just one rifle (with good solid scope) and one shotgun and spend rest of the money for a lot of ammo. A good quality 308 rifle with a 2-7 or 3-9 scope can do everything you'll want to do in the lower 48. A good quality 12G 3" pump or auto shotgun with 2 or 3 barrels will do everything from self defense to turkey and water fowl. Spend the time to shoot these two guns well and you'll be set for anything.

T. O'Heir

You'll find the scoped .308 more useful for pretty much everything, including varmints with a change of bullet. You may want to think about a rifle sighted 20" barrel for the shotgun too. The lever action I'd lose, but a retired guy needs his toys.
Read Idaho's hunting regs as well. Might make some options not a choice. Dunno for sure.

Panfisher

For me I would tend to agree with a couple others statements. The .308 is a fabulous round and certainly nothing wrong with the rifle. I would tend to say don't be married to the idea until you hold, feel etc. a few models, you may well come home with a Model 70 or something. The shotgun, well I have never seen anything that a 3.5 inch would do that a 3 inch won't do, however I don't waterfowl hunt, besides pumps are not anywhere near my favorite, but if you already have an 870, and if you don't want to take it away from it home defense role, simply buy another 870 and keep moving forward, same safety locations etc. The Marlin .30-30 seems to be the weak link to me, certainly nothing wrong with it, but can't think of anything it could do better than the .308. I would opt instead for a .223 in the same rifle style of the.308 again safety locations, operation all the same, and use it for range practice, varmits and just fun shooting. However in the end, it is YOU that has to have what you want, I spend way too much time researching my AR choice, and while I really like it, I would prefer a different style, but that is what gunstores are made for.

jmr40

If you buy a 308, you'll never use the 30-30. It'll do everything the 30-30 does and a lot it won't, and do it all better.

A 22 is a requirement and should come first.

On a budget any decent pump shotgun with a 24"-26" barrel is very versatile. Longer or shorter barrels meet special needs. I wouldn't worry about 3.5" shells. Unless you hunt geese, and do it a lot, they serve no other practical purpose. You'll do 95% of your shooting with 2 3/4" shells and only rarely use 3" shells. I like the Benelli Nova. Even though it will shoot 3.5" shells I'd never use them. Nothing wrong with Remington 870 Express and the Browning BPS is another good one. Lots of Mossberg 500 love here. Not my favorite, but an acceptable option too.

If you really want a 3rd gun then a rifle in 223 makes a lot of sense.

Pep in CA

The OP here again. I tend to agree with most of the comments and advice so far, but only so much. I certainly agree that the Marlin 336 is not necessary if I have a .308 scoped rifle, and therefore the 336 is the weakest of my choices. No argument.

However, there is just something cool about a lever action gun, and a 20" barrel with iron sights is more maneuverable in heavy brush and at close range than a 22" scoped rifle. And as I mentioned before, the 336 is actually a very good home defense gun, as a backup.

The 336 is not needed, you're probably right, but allow me one indulgence.

As for the Ulti-Mag shotgun, I doubt I would ever fire a 3.5" shotshell. If a 2.75" shell won't do, a 3" most likely would. But the 3.5" capability is not why I like the 835 package I mentioned. I like the package because it comes with 2 barrels of different lengths and chokes for the 2 purposes I would need. It is also fully camo, unlike my 870 home defense gun, which is important for turkey and waterfowl hunting. And if for some reason I can't think of at the moment I would ever need a 3.5" shotshell, well, the 835 could do it. I can't say that is a fault.

So far, I'm sticking with my choices, but I certainly do appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Cheers.