Looking for some quality .223/5.56 ammo, only cheaper

COSteve

"Looking for some quality .223/5.56 ammo, only cheaper"

Learn to handload. Buy components in bulk and make your own. I still have some 55grn 5.56 components from a very large bulk buy I made years ago that allow me to still handload XM-193 ammo (LC brass, reloadable, 55grn fmj bullets) for a whopping 8½¢ per rd. That's only $81 per 1,000rds. :eek: :D

stagpanther

Don’t overlook PPU/PRVI Partisan as well for decent plinking ammo.
Agreed--this is well made IMO and I can sometimes find it in cut-rate priced battle packs which I think are definitely a cut above fed's budget stuff and more accurate as well.

veprdude

I've had good results with the Magtech/CBC 77 gr OTM stuff. I think it's branded now as "Sniper" or something in a green and white box. 77 gr Sierra Matchking. Can be found for about $.50/round in bulk.

I got something like .66 MOA (100yd) in a 5 shot group with a RRA 20" Varmint and Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 Scope with green dot. Bipod and sandbags. This is not bragging as I'm sure it could do better. The green dot is maybe .5-.75MOA at 100 yards. So a fine reticle and lead sled would show the best results.

Pretty happy with well below sub-MOA results for 50 cents on a mid level factory AR with non-precision scope.

Mobuck

Although it's not much cheaper than brass case ammo, the Hornady "Steel Match" is pretty darned accurate. Last Friday, I sent 5 rounds from my pickup beater AR toward a freshly painted 300 meter steel using the pickup window and a glove as a rest. The "group of splatters" on the steel was under 3".

Charlie98

You are going to need to see if your 1/7 barrel can shoot a quality 55grn bullet well. Some do, some don't... my Colt H-bar 1/7 does not, at least nothing that I've ever tried. If yours does, you are in high cotton. Key word is 'quality,' which usually means 'not FMJ.'

FWIW, even though Green Tip is 62grn, I've not found it to be much more accurate than standard 55grn M193... and at the end of the day it's not really intended for accuracy, anyway.

hagar

Lookup centershot on Gunbroker, he has some amazing deals on 60 VMax and 75 Hornady remanufactured ammo.