Looking for some quality .223/5.56 ammo, only cheaper

Django11

I know this is an oxymoron, but I'm looking for some quality ammo at a little more affordable price. The main use would be for "quality plinking" in a couple of my ARs. Barrel twists are 1:7 and they prefer ~75 grain bullets. I've had good luck with Hornady Black ammo which I can find for around $0.70/round. Now I'm curious if there is something else worth trying out.

Two kinds that caught my eye are Magtech First Defense Tactical 77gr bthp and Black Hills remanufactured 75gr. There was some high praise for the Black Hills in some online reviews.

Anybody try these or anything else in this price range that you like/dislike. I'm going to start reloading in the near future so that will come in time, but for now, I'm curious about trying something different.

Thanks in advance.

Mobuck

I've been using the Frontier 55HP "match" since it came out. Unless you're a dedicated accuracy freak, this stuff is good enough.

Django11

I've tried various types of the Frontier line of ammo and it's not bad, good enough for what I'm using it for in this case. The thing is, I'm awfully curious about what else is out there that's worth trying.

Mobuck

There are several commercial reloaders selling product these days. I used to buy from a guy who did a really good job but he was forced out of business by the cost of insurance and the low priced steel cased stuff from Europe.
There's a +/- to choosing ammo based on cost alone and in many cases, the chance of a huge - is more than I will gamble.

MagnumWill

I hate to say it, but reloading sooner rather than later is a better option. I kept saying the same thing until the wife got me a single stage press for Christmas (looks for Black Friday deals) and suddenly *all* ammo was cheap accurate ammo. My "plinking" loads match the performance of high-end manufacturers, and then you can be pretty particular about exactly which bullets you want to use.

Until then I also didn't realize that XM855 (for me) is only good for the cases it generates. :)

Plus, looking at ot another way - when I learned that any accuracy qualms I was having about any of my rifles, substituting handloads and getting the results you want does delay the onslaught of optics purchases in the long run.

Both Magtech and Black Hills are premier ammo manufacturers, so either should be good quality ammo.
Don’t overlook PPU/PRVI Partisan as well for decent plinking ammo.

rickyrick

Cheap and good don’t really go along with ammunition in the 5.56/.223 variety but there is some exceptions.

I haven’t found it much lately but American Eagle 50gr open tip was pretty accurate for me.

Reloading is probably the best option for you, but I’m not a reloading expert.

Mike38

A couple years ago I bought a case of ZQI 62gr 5.56 for a reasonable price. I've only shot 60 rounds of it, and it was surprisingly accurate in my Saiga AK223.

Eazyeach

I 2nd the Fiochhi 50gr V-Max. That stuff is good. It’s accurate out of my BCM 1/7 twist and my Remington VTR 1/9 twist. Very nice ammo although lighter than what you are asking for.

I get a flyer from SG ammo. Below are some of the options they have right now.
Not sure if you e tried the 62 grain, but may be a lot cheaper alternative to what you normally run.

900 rounds 62 grain open tip Winchester - $276 shipped. $0.31 per round
https://www.sgammo.com/product/223-...en-tip-hollow-point-winchester-ammo-usa3162w-

1000 rounds 62 grain XTac Green Tip FMJ PMC - $326 shipped. $0.33 per round.
https://www.sgammo.com/product/223-...tac-m855-62-grain-green-tip-fmj-556k-lap-ammo

500 rounds 77 grain open tip match, IMI - $349 shipped. $0.698 per round.
https://www.sgammo.com/product/223-...-otm-lr-mod-1-razorcore-imi-ammo-made-israe-0

kymasabe

I use Ammo by Pistol Pete, functions flawlessly and is very clean burning, Google to find, good prices, can ship to you.

DnPRK

Start reloading.

You control the quality of the reloads.

A single stage press kit and small base dies will get you started.

Django11

Thanks for all the posts. It sounds like I'll have to try the Fiocchi. I'm not looking for the cheapest ammo out there; I'm looking for some ammo that preforms well but costs a little less than $1/pop. I have thousands of the bulk $0.30/round stuff and I'm looking for better quality than that. As far as reloading goes, I'll be getting into that fairly soon. Right now I'm just more curious than anything about trying something different. That all being said, a friend of mine had some Black Hills 60 grain remanufactured that he gave me to try out so we'll see how that goes.

Joe-ker

Fiochii seems to be a good buy. As a reloader when I see its price on the shelf I often wonder why I reload. I can beat it but I don't count my time.

T. O'Heir

"...only cheaper..." Reload. Although it's not always cheaper. It does give you much better ammo. You don't necessarily need Small Base dies either.
If you're not reloading, you need to try a box of as many brands as you can to find the ammo your rifle shoots best. The price of it means nothing.
Midway is showing that 75 grain Hornady stuff as being on No Backorder. Means it's no available. They show Tula steel cased 55's crappola at $224.99 per 1,000 too.