Looking for a stock for Savage 12FV

RC20

My brother has an At 1, cheesy plasticy thing, hate it (he loves it of course)

Me? Some years back I got a Savage 110 in a 30-06 that had a TH Feathwerigth stock (thunmhole, made by Boyds for Savage)

I put a bull barrel on the 06, carved out the channel, best feeling stock of the 3 I have (I have another one on the way in Featherweight )

Where it counts is the bed area and those are the same.

They say you can't mill down the center stock to take a bull barrel but that is bull. You can and still leave a ledge on the sides. Its not thick, but its there and is fine.

Looks gangbusters nice and it feels better than the target stocks (one I had to cut the right side down to allow my earmuffs to ft over the stock)

The Boyds Savage fit is almost perfect (I relieved the tang area, the rest was spot on good for fit), you can get a pillar on the front and a lot of wood choices.

I get more compliment on the 06 setup, its a Nutmeg stock, people just love it as I do.

The new one will be Jardine, high gloss.

ndking1126

Just for reference, I have a savage 10 with 26" Shilen varmint barrel, b&c medalist (non-adjustable) stock, vx-3i 4-16x scope and it weights 13.2 lbs without bullets or bipod. I second the recommendation that a shorter barrel is your best way to shed weight.. at 100 yards the lost velocity will never be missed or even noticed. Itll also be more handy when maneuvering around other shooters, through doors, etc.

jetinteriorguy

I agree. Probably the best place to start is with the barrel and then just quit being such a wimp and try it with the Choate stock. I am considering a heavy sporter barrel though since all my shooting is at an indoor 100 yd range and I can just let the barrel cool between shots. Either way whether a heavy sporter or varmint profile I’m thinking a 20” barrel would suffice.

stagpanther

One last thing about a stock like the MDT: Because it is one-piece rigid aluminum--if you ever shoot just off a bipod instead of bags/rests it is going to offer a superior platform for that IMO.

jetinteriorguy

Ah, good to know. I do shoot off a bipod with a rear bag. This is one of the ways I cut down the amount of weight I carry since the bipod is much lighter than a bag. Plus I feel using a bipod is more of a practical way to shoot. Thanks.