Looking for a Semi auto as reliable as revolvers

Mikeyboy

I'm looking for a semi auto that is ultra reliable for home defense. Something to replace a revolver. I have to admit Glocks falls into this category , but I'm not a fan of Glock's trigger. I prefer 9mm or maybe a .380 and something compact . Unfortuately I cannot go higher in caliber since my wife also needs to use it, she is not a fan of recoil. So far she really like my Kel Tec P-32, but I still don't fully trust the gun to be 100% reliable.

CDH

I'll be the first of many to tell you; XD9 Service Model.

The Glock is fine and in the category you define, but the XD is also at the top of the same list. With 16 rounds and no manual safety to worry about, it's not much different than having a revolver on hand except for the capacity.

The reliability of the XD has already been established.

Carter

mjrodney

First, the mandantory disclaimer.......It goes without saying that, like all things mechanical, no handgun can be considered 100% reliable. Mechanical things do break, sometimes when they are needed most.

Now, with that out of the way, I have full confidence in the track record of my Sig's.

18DAI

S&W 3913, HK USP 9mm. Thousands of rounds, with no malfunctions. Accurate, light weight. Great pistols. Regards 18DAI.

chuckles

mjrodney wrote:
First, the mandantory disclaimer.......It goes without saying that, like all things mechanical, no handgun can be considered 100% reliable. Mechanical things do break, sometimes when they are needed most.

What he says. In my experience, my Beretta 92FS Inox is as close to perfect as I could expect.

I second the HK USP. I have a .45 and have had 0 problems. It helps to buy a hogue wraparound grip as the frontstrap checkering is a bit rough.

One suggestion though. If the only reason for not going to .45 is the recoil (i.e. it's not a matter of the increased price of practice rounds etc.) I would suggest you not rule out the USP .45 fullsize. I also do not like heavy recoil, and this pistol has very little recoil. It may be louder than 9mms, but it doesn't kick any harder. I find it very comfortable. Anyway, don't just take my word for it- I'm sure if you read around you'll see that many others agree.

Pointer

Look for a thread on the Glock that has a VERY ABUSED torture test and the Glock never "hiccupped" after ANY of the abusive tests...

Left buried in sand and water and mud etc... It continued to work has designed.

The final test was dropping it from an airplane and then digging it out of the dirt, knocking dirt out of the barrel and firing it a few times right there on the spot.

Far more abuse than anything you will ever do to it... ;)

InSoMNiaX23

I agree with the recommendation of the HK. My USP9c hasn't had a single malfunction after 3000+ rounds. I have tried several varieties of ammunition and it seems to digest everything.

mikel_holt

After thirty years and untold thousands of rounds, I can honestly and sincerely reccomend Colt's Gov't Model. The only malfunction I ever experienced was a broken extractor hook. This during their ill fated experiment with MIM extractors and then with less than fifty rounds through the gun. This is my honest experience, YMMV.

BlueTrain

My absolutely worst handgun has been a Sig, believe it or not. The PPK's do not get very good press anymore, I suppose because they have been manufactured unchanged for something like 75 years but mine always worked and so did my Makarov. But practically everything except the Sig always worked fine with factory ammo.

Dreadnought

Beretta PX4 or 92fs.

And as previous posters have stated, no mechanical system is perfect and therefore can not be 100% reliable.

Sig, Beretta, Glock, H&K are all good choices, you get what you pay for.

ranburr

There are lots of solid choices on the market. Go to a gun show or a store that has a large selection and find a gun that fits your hand and has a trigger that you can live with. Make sure that your wife can manipulate the slide. Get a 9mm over a .380. It has more stopping power and the ammo is cheaper for practice.

ranburr

Broadside Bob

By definition...

No semi auto will be as reliable as a revolver. If a semi auto fails to fire or eject, you have to clear the round or the jammed shell casing. With a revolver, all you have to do is pull the trigger again.

That being said, Glocks, XDs, Berettas, and Sigs are all among the exceptional choices. If you use quality ammo and clean the gun properly and regularly, expect to shoot tens of thousands of rounds without one failure.

Like everything else, it's a balance. Are you willing to give up the gretaer reliability of a revolver in exchange for the higher capacity, easier and faster reloadsm and slimmer profile of a semit auto?

Good Luck!!