Looking for a new rifle.. Recommendations sought..

1stmar

First of all I live in a lousy state so it really limits my options. I'm looking for a semi-auto in something less then .30 cal. Purely recreational purposes, I like irons but would like the options of a scope. I don't care if it's mag fed, though I don't think that adds much. Would like something capable of 1-1.5 moa. Because I live in CT, ARs are out, as is anything with both a magazine and a pistol grip, or flash suppressor. No Collapsable stock. My first thought is a mini 14, which seems to meet the criteria. Just not sure if there is something else out there I am missing. Been looking, can't find any other options. Already have an M1A and a garand, so I don't need another .30 cal. Also not looking for a rim fire. The only other option I have been able to find is a volquartsen evolution centerfire. For what I'm looking for can't see spending $2500, but maybe.

Can you guys think of any options I am overlooking?

tahunua001

well as you're not looking for another 30 cal I won't suggest an SKS.

I'm not completely versed on CTs most recent laws. do they ban ARs specifically or just rifles with all of the AR's scary features? would a california legal AR still be illegal in CT like they are with the new NY laws? just curious.

your options are very limited im afraid.

besides the remington hunting autos(which are frankly way overpriced and not very nice), SKS, Mini 14, I can't think of anything that's less scary than a ban compliant AR....

... would you be open to a pistol caliber carbine or are those also illegal? beretta CX4 storm might be a good option?

1stmar

The CT laws state it can't have2 of the following: ( if I get this right)
Pistol grip
Magazine
Flash suppressor
No mags over 10 rounds
A number of rifles specifically banned
Ca legal is not legal in CT. The only AR style that is legal in CT is rim fire.

tahunua001

alright, been reading up on it, SKS is also specifically banned as well as AK, and ARs so...
no high caps,
no muzzle devices
no select fire(that's easy)
only allowed one of the following(if takes a detachable mag), folder/telescoping stock, bayo lug(not many of those), pistol grip.

be careful if you do go with a Mini14, some variants are part of the banned list(ones with folding stocks)

lets see. by those criteria
FNherstal FS2000(223).
Beretta CX4(9mm,40S&W, 45ACP)
Taurus CT(9mm, 40S&W)
High Point carbine(9mm, 45ACP)
some mini14/30(without side folding stocks)
I didn't see the IWI tavor on the list but you may check with law enforcement.
Remington 7400
other than that seems like everything else I can think of is either 22lr or banned.

1stmar

I'll have to check, looks like the fn, beretta, Taurus, could go either way. Is that a thumb hole or a pistol grip? Do you have any experience with these? Fn looks intriguing.

1stmar

If the tavor is legal that's the one... Will check into it. Are they as good as they look? Looks like it is under 30", too short and the grip is questionable.

Last edited:

tahunua001

I'll have to check, looks like the fn, beretta, Taurus, could go either way. Is that a thumb hole or a pistol grip? Do you have any experience with these? Fn looks intriguing.
the rules say a pistol grip that sticks conspicuously below the receiver so the FN should classify as a thumbhole. the beretta and taurus don't have flash hiders(or at least I think they don't), or folding stocks so they only have the pistol grips and are legal.

the IWI tavor is a tricky one, like I said. it was only imported after the SH gun laws were enacted so unless they've issued amendments to the list since then it would have to be banned on merit and by that, the stock would also be a thumbhole and non-telescoping stock so the only scary feature would be te flash hider and therefore legal, again... might check with law enforcement or local gunshops first.they might call that a conspicuous pistol grip.

Boncrayon

I would suggest looking for a .270 ("under 30 cal.") in a bolt action. If you are looking for sport or range firing, a bolt action does not normally carry a magazine with more than 5 rounds.

1stmar

I believe the detachable magazine counts as 1 item. So a detachable magazine and a pistol grip is a no go. They all look like good choices, have to make some calls to see what's legal. I fear none of them. Is be satisfied w any of them but the tavor looks perfect.

I have bolts, considered something like the ruger scout but really looking for a semi.

Jim243

I doubt any of mine would qualify as CT legal and everyone complains about Illinois (LOL). The problem is that I would think that something like the CX4, the thumb-hole stock would be considered a pistol grip as well as having a detachable mag.

Jim

tahunua001

here's the actual list from CT.gov

it states that an "assault weapon" has a detachable mag plus 2 of the scary features. so any one plus the magazine is still legal.

1stmar

Hmm thanks tahuna. When I bought my m1a, 1 dealer wouldn't transfer it because he said the flash suppressor was threaded and that in combination with the detachable magazine made it illegal. Ultimately I went to another dealer who said it was not threaded. This certainly reads different. I thought it was detachable mag and 1 other item. I'll start checkjg stores this week.

Thanks

1stmar

Taken from the link tahunua sent...
"A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at lease two of the following:"

Apparently this only applies if I am leasing? :)

BingoFuel

I would take the time to go scan the calguns.net web site. Here in CA, there are a lot of limitations much like the CT regs and there are plenty of ways to legally purchase/adapt a semi-auto of AR lineage to satisfy you. There are companies that make shields, buffer covers, pistol grip replacements, bullet buttons and other features to make the gun 'featureless'.
There is no working around the lower magazine restriction unless (here in CA) you owned standard size (30 round) magazines before any of the restrictions were imposed.
I am not a lawyer and cannot render any opinions of value in that regard, but if after you scan the CA site, feel free to PM me with any specific questions.
B

g.willikers

Anyone who lives in a restrictive state has to deal with the laws and then with what people think is the law.
Maybe it's best to avoid the whole hassle and get a trusty lever action.
Quick shooting and lots of fun.
Just a thought.

1stmar

I have a marlin 336c. I do like it a lot and a Rossi in 357 is on the list. Right now I'm looking for a cheap shooting semi. I love the 30 cals but they get expensive to shoot after awhile. Would love a garand in 243 but figuring a mini in 223 is good compromise. That tavor looks like a blast though.