Looking for a new carry gun

TBM900

You should have shot it, lol.

Now that's an understatement :cool: they are in a league of their own.
My wife has been shooting & collecting them since the 80's, and I myself often carried them back in the day.
But first they out-priced themselves due to relative manufacturing complexity, then were utterly priced out of the market by the wave of fantastic-plastic.

I've had the chance to talk to some of their team about producing limited runs of them for the boutique buyer market.
Supposedly they have looked into it but the numbers just never added up given the high production cost, even with pricing them into the current range for originals.

Surprised, I said... "You guys do know they typically sell in the $2-3k + range?"
They laughed and replied "Yup, but we still couldn't make enough money to make it worthwhile".
Which is sad because they are brilliant pistols that unfortunately most shooters today will never have the chance to experience.

Flight567

I'D Get a Glock 26 with a handfull of G19 magazines with sleeves..

The Sig 320 is MUCH bigger than the HK you are looking at.:confused:

TMB900-

Define 'better' or 'better in your eyes'?

Lessee...Glock-not expensive, very reliable, accurate, TONS of after-market stuff, no 'involuntary' recalls like Sig(320, 365, 238).....

The gent is looking at the (problematic for some) Sig 320..I'd choose a Glock 45..in spite of the Sig hype and disinformation, I don't understand why so many jump on the Sig bandwagon when there are so many more, reliable options today...:)

Yes, yes, some owners of various Sigs have had ZERO issues with thousands and thousands of rounds fired..ME and MY son's Glocks-7 and counting..many thousands of rounds of every type of ammo from cheap to boutique..have had ZERO failues of any kind..but that's just me..so, It MUST be an outlier..:p

I have an idea..if ya don't like them, stop scratching yer head and don't buy one.

I feel the same about over-hyped SIG..but so what, I'll never buy one of those either..
I've looked into Glock. Held a few, shot a couple. I'm just not a fan. I wanted to want one because the magazines are cheap and plentiful... I just couldn't do it.

The Sig would be a compact (with an xcarry frame) and the HK is a sub, though it does have 15 rd magazines with sleeves. I currently CC a compact size frame. The size difference doesn't mean a lot to me.

As for the reliability of the SIG? I haven't ever had trouble with mine. I understand though that the p320 is a different action and as such a totally different firearm.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

USNRet93

I've looked into Glock. Held a few, shot a couple. I'm just not a fan. I wanted to want one because the magazines are cheap and plentiful... I just couldn't do it.

The Sig would be a compact (with an xcarry frame) and the HK is a sub, though it does have 15 rd magazines with sleeves. I currently CC a compact size frame. The size difference doesn't mean a lot to me.

As for the reliability of the SIG? I haven't ever had trouble with mine. I understand though that the p320 is a different action and as such a totally different firearm.

Ya know, that's just fine..What I'm rankling about is this 'I don't understand why?' part when ANYBODY mentions Glock.

BUT shoot it if you can and then decide which is BEST for YOU...not me or any other member of the peanut gallery..

BTW-If Glock wasn't in play, I'd get the HK..NOT the sig320...

Flight567

Ya know, that's just fine..What I'm rankling about is this 'I don't understand why?' part when ANYBODY mentions Glock.

BUT shoot it if you can and then decide which is BEST for YOU...not me or any other member of the peanut gallery..

BTW-If Glock wasn't in play, I'd get the HK..NOT the sig320...
Is there a reason that you would have the HK over the SIG? I don't keep up with the industry that well. I just know what I like, and what works well for me and the people I work with.

TBM900

Define 'better' or 'better in your eyes'?
I already did above :)

Glock-not expensive
There are many better options priced similar to or less than Glocks

very reliable
I've had two come apart in my hands.
I've known & professionally worked with many others who have had issues.
An agency I worked for had their entire inventory replaced due to cracking frames.
Several other local agencies have had similar problems that I witnessed personally.
There have been numerous other agencies nation wide that have had issues.

No more or less so than other common pistols

TONS of after-market stuff
I've easily ordered several sets worth of "spares packages" for my Steyr's...
They collect dust as I've never needed a single part, nor have I ever found the need to "modify" anything on them as they are perfect for me right out of the box.

no 'involuntary' recalls
:eek:
This one I am truly shocked by... seriously.

I couldn't even guess the number of recalls Glock has had over the years, it has to be in the hundreds by now. When I was still active LE we would get notices regularly (I had to post them) I would estimate at close to once a month. Heck just do a 5 second search on line for list after list of Glock recalls to see for yourself, then do another on LE agencies that have had issues.

There probably aren't any major manufactures that haven't had a recall, or two, or three... even Steyr, so to assert that Glock has had "none" is truly laughable. It's actually quite shocking to see the number of issues, recalls, and inventory replacements they have gone through just in LE markets alone. Then there was the big fiasco a few years back with one of their new "generations", I forget the details but it was all over forums, youtube, etc, for months.

Obviously I stepped on your toes with my opinion. There are many highly experienced shooters who use and fully trust Glocks. But I do not even have to step further than my own personal, first hand experience to never touch another one. The sickening feeling as the pistol suddenly looses most of its weight in your hand... followed by the thud as the slide hits the floor a few feet away... not once but twice... tends to have a lasting impact.

Buy what you like, drink the Kool-Aid, I truly hope you enjoy it.
But I'll take one of the many better options :)

TunnelRat

Sigh, people can't just like what they like anymore. I've owned just about everything out there when it comes to polymer framed striker fired pistols. I like Glocks. There may be many other better alternatives in someone else's opinion. That's great. The market supports a lot of preferences.

TBM900

Sigh, people can't just like what they like anymore. I've owned just about everything out there. I like Glocks. There may be many other better alternatives in someone else's opinion. That's great. The market supports a lot of preferences.
I would agree, which is why I clearly stated such.
But some folks invest their emotion into their own choices, so when others express their opinion (an opinion that was asked for BTW), they sometimes get upset.
Funny how that works ;)

TunnelRat

I don't feel upset if you're referring to me (seeing as you quoted me). If anything I thought my post was agreeing with you.

This thread is turning into exactly what I predicted. Funny how that works. :)

TunnelRat

Is there a reason that you would have the HK over the SIG? I don't keep up with the industry that well. I just know what I like, and what works well for me and the people I work with.

I personally like the grip of the VP9 better. But that’s a preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USNRet93

I couldn't even guess the number of recalls Glock has had over the years, it has to be in the hundreds by now. Heck just do a 5 second search on line for list after list of Glock recalls to see for yourself.

Just did and found 1, in 2011.

https://www.ammoland.com/2011/09/glock-gen4-recoil-spring-assemblies-recall/#axzz6EnBInKSA

But, I guess I'm wrong..

I get it, ya hate Glocks..good for you..I guess I could spout all sorts of anecdotal evidence, how how I've had 3 sigs fall apart, how 'numerous' LEO and military units have had to throw all of their Glocks away..I guess the SEALS are next, since they just got theirs..AND ignore the problems with the M17, Sig 320, 365, 238..cuz, they aren't Glocks so big issues really don't mean a thing..

Ignorant fools..!!
Sigh, people can't just like what they like anymore. I've owned just about everything out there when it comes to polymer framed striker fired pistols. I like Glocks. There may be many other better alternatives in someone else's opinion. That's great. The market supports a lot of preferences.

How dare you....another koolaide drinker..shame on you. To mention such a thing on this TSFL forum..The Sig Firing Line Forum

I'll continue to drink that koolaide, and you can too for Sig..

OBTW-TBM, the OP asked for advice yet you see fit to throw out editorials about Glock..dejavu all over again...

Yawn, out.

Last edited:

bull_chips

I never understand why, when the OP asks for guidance between a Sig and an HK, somebody has to throw out “buy a Glock” . That’s not what he was asking.
Both are good options, however you have trained for years with a Sig. The 320 would would have a totally different trigger feel than the DAO 250. Perhaps a 365 would be easier to conceal, for carry, but the 320 would make a nice range/duty weapon.

TBM900

I don't feel upset if you're referring to me (seeing as you quoted me). If anything I thought my post was agreeing with you.

This thread is turning into exactly what I predicted. Funny how that works. :)
Nope, not at all referring to you.
Rather the poster that clearly got upset with my opinion.

USNRet93

I never understand why, when the OP asks for guidance between a Sig and an HK, somebody has to throw out “buy a Glock” . That’s not what he was asking.
Both are good options, however you have trained for years with a Sig. The 320 would would have a totally different trigger feel than the DAO 250. Perhaps a 365 would be easier to conceal, for carry, but the 320 would make a nice range/duty weapon.
TBM wrote
Buy a Steyr

He wasn't asking about a Steyr

With a cute little emoji..:confused:

TunnelRat

The OP asked about a Sig320 and HK..NOT how Glock owners drink koolaide.

Maybe not but the pro Sig and anti-Glock bias on this forum gets tiresome..IMHO..

You have mentioned this bias many times now. I feel like you’ve beaten that horse into the ground, and a horse that might be in your imagination as well. I carry Glocks, I shoot them the most, and I still have quite a few (and owned many more than that). I don’t feel tired by this supposed bias and I’ve been here many more years than you. Maybe don’t wear your heart on your sleeve so much. It’s an inanimate object.

Flight567

I appreciate the advice. The concealability of the 320 isnt such a concern for me. I already conceal the 250, and have for 4 years. I have considered the 365xl, which seems to be rather nice.

Im headed to the range today to compare the two.

I'll give a brief range report after I get back.

Just got back from the range today, ironically a guy was shooting a HK 45. Later I got to handle this fine firearm. Pictures do not do it justice. What a nice looking piece that felt so good in my hand. I like solid built firearms and this gun reeked of this. Not a gun I would want for EDC, but when the Zombies come (and they will) I want one. Looks like a lot of fun.

USNRet93

You have mentioned this bias many times now. I feel like you’ve beaten that horse into the ground, and a horse that might be in your imagination as well. I carry Glocks, I shoot them the most, and I still have quite a few (and owned many more than that). I don’t feel tired by this supposed bias and I’ve been here many more years than you. Maybe don’t wear your heart on your sleeve so much. It’s an inanimate object.

10-4

rodfac

To the OP...I'd go with the Sig, as I like the half dozen I've owned over the years...all well built and as accurate as I'm able to manage with my eyes and grip. I've owned one HK that was beautifully made, but found it was no better than the Sigs. As you mentioned the Sig P365XL at one point...I'll support that choice based on my experience with the P365 original model.

I've carried a P365 daily as my carry piece for over a year now...1300 rounds through it now ranging from handloads assembled with 125 gr LSWC's, to FMJ's of 115 & 124 gr. weights, and a number of brands of 'boutique' SD JHP's...all fed 100%...no problems at all. The gun is truly a game changer..small, compact with 11 round capacity, and best of all, it sports a grip/sight balance that allows truly outstanding accuracy. Many reviewers have opined that it shoots like a full size 'duty' gun, and I agree..see pic below shot at 10 yds from a combat stance. It's worth a look-see and a range test if you can find one to rent.

As to a holster...I'm not a fan whatsoever of any of the AIWB types for the usual reasons: most are too big to fit with my current waist size pants and all I have seen end up with the muzzle pointed at my anatomy at some point!

USNRet: Maybe not but the pro Sig and anti-Glock bias on this forum
I like Sigs...shoot 'em well; have trained with a Glock 17 & 23 and shot 'em equally well...but prefer the Sig feel, grip ergonomics and overall quality to the Glocks I have shot...that said, I've perceived no bias one way or the other here on TFL. It's a personal preference as are all gun purchases and I feel no need to "sell" my choices here nor imagine bias if others choose "less wisely", LOL. YMMv, (and really, it's OK if you do!) Rod

Last edited: