Looking for a High Quality AR-22....

9x19

zukiphile,

Yeah, I've seen the video review, but would love to have some hands on with the Kriss.

My .22 WMR has proven itself both reliable and accurate, though I need to take it out all by itself one day to really find it's true potential (for me). :D

imashooter

I know you're set on a conversion kit, etc but I must say my 15-22 runs flawlessly, accurate as can be, too much fun. And can be had for 300.00 or perhaps a bit less. Even if you convert, you should get one anyway.

Skans

"We used a CMMG style NiB bolt assembly with a Beyer Barrels barrel. Use Black Dog mags and everything else is AR15 parts. With match ammo, we were getting under 1" at 100 yards easily. You are looking at about $350 for the barrel and bolt. There are cheaper ways to go if you want less accuracy."

Accuracy really isn't an issue for me. This would be for my daughter - she wants something to shoot in .22lr. I have looked at the plastic receiver S&W AR-22's and I figure for what I'd have to spend for one of those, I could build a better one. Still, those only run about $400-$450.

While I really like some of the higher end 10-22 stuff out there, she hates it. So, that ends that discussion.

zukiphile

Skans said:
Accuracy really isn't an issue for me. This would be for my daughter - she wants something to shoot in .22lr. I have looked at the plastic receiver S&W AR-22's and I figure for what I'd have to spend for one of those, I could build a better one. Still, those only run about $400-$450.

I have a hard time seeing one come together for much less than $500. The biggest financial obstacle is the BCG which can be had for $150 from Right to Bear Arms.

Palmetto has an upper in stock for $300. These include the BCG and don't last long generally. https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...-15-lightweight-m-lok-upper-with-bcg-ch1.html

I hate myself for this but...if thrift is the driving consideration, Buds has S&W 15-22s in the $320s. If she won't demand MOA accuracy and won't be leaning a 200 pound frame into a sling, you might reconsider. They are reputed to be very reliable.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...22+sport+10208+22lr+16+collapsible+stock+25+1

riffraff

For $530 I see the performance center version online. I own a 15-22 and I love it - very reliable and for its lightweight design alone it really makes other .22lr rifles feel inferior if you ask me, but I dont care if its 2 moa or 3 moa or 1 moa.. off my shoulder with a red dot i can hit clay pigeons at 80 yards - "good enough" :).. but if I was going to get all into bench accuracy I probably would start with the accuratized model.

https://grabagun.com/smith-and-wesson-mp15-22-pc-sport-22lr-10-1.html

zukiphile

riffraff said:
I dont care if its 2 moa or 3 moa or 1 moa.. off my shoulder with a red dot i can hit clay pigeons at 80 yards - "good enough"...

I don't mean to denigrate the 15-22, and "good enough" is a sound measure for choosing a product.

The 15-22 has a single flaw that can't be resolved -- the polymer upper. It means that the barrel is affixed to something flexible so its relation ship to a scope is always flexible. Since S&W made the dimensions slightly different, one can't just pop on a "real" AR aluminium upper receiver.

I'm sort of a polymer enthusiast, but the upper receiver doesn't seem the right place for it.

riffraff

I don't mean to denigrate the 15-22, and "good enough" is a sound measure for choosing a product.

The 15-22 has a single flaw that can't be resolved -- the polymer upper. It means that the barrel is affixed to something flexible so its relation ship to a scope is always flexible. Since S&W made the dimensions slightly different, one can't just pop on a "real" AR aluminium upper receiver.

I'm sort of a polymer enthusiast, but the upper receiver doesn't seem the right place for it.
That might be the case but also you can flex even an aluminum upper maybe if you try, and if you dont flex the polymer upper it probably doesn't matter. There is at least one torture test I saw a video of and my recollection was it made little difference when intentionally attempting to flex the rifle.

But then we are talking about a .22lr anyway, so a little lost moa doesn't stretch out to a larger miss at 500 yards - your range isn't much over 100 yards.

I agree itd be nice if they made their .22lr on a spec sized lower, seems silly they reinvented it.. but then the polymer upper shaves weight and that is one thing that makes a 15-22 impressive and easier to be accurate with even off the shoulder, its feather light

Skans

"Buds has S&W 15-22s in the $320s."

That's a price that is hard to beat. While I might prefer an all metal gun, the kid would actually prefer the S&W, because that's what she has been asking for.

There is some great information on this thread. I want to mark it, verifythis, so that I can search and find it again, if needed.

Eazyeach

You can’t go wrong with a SW 15-22. She would love it. Mags are great. Lrbho is good to go. Mine has provided many hours of sheer joy.

riffraff

I've had a little interest in buying a 2nd 15-22, basically since I own 9000 magazines already :) and it'd be nice to put a scope on one and a red dot on the other..

The kinda obvious choice would be to spring for a performance center model and this post got me searching around..

Just as an FYI - in researching it looks like we are talking ~2.5 MOA for the regular 15-22 and ~1.5 MOA for the performance center model... Here is some info on the performance center model with example groups I found when poking around - I'd say for me personally I'd be willing to buck up the extra $200 for something a little better that takes the same mags as what I own already.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-...-performance-center-targets-various-ammo.html

9x19

I like the 15-22 magazines... Better than I liked the 15-22s, and I liked them fine. With a minor outlay, other .22 ARs can use the S&W mags. :D

fvTTChw.jpg

zukiphile

9x19 said:
I like the 15-22 magazines...

15-22 magazines are one reason to prefer the AR as a 22lr platform over the 10/22. The 10/22 rotary magazine gets 10 out of 10 for durability, but loading it is tough on the finger tips.

zukiphile

It may be great, but the 15-22 magazine has a follower button so no loader is necessary. There isn't anything revolutionary about the S&W magazine; it's just conventional but done well.

riffraff said:
I've had a little interest in buying a 2nd 15-22, basically since I own 9000 magazines already ...

We all strive for the perfect balance that would have us expiring broke, having shot our last round of 22lr from our last working magazine at a range we got to in a jalopy running on fumes. Few will find that balance.

Last edited:

riffraff

Speaking of 15-22 mags, I've got some factory mags and a pile of plinker tactical 35 rounders I got quite cheap on sale...

The plinker tactical mags are great when I'm hanging around the night before an outing watching tv and can take my time loading them, they work flawlessly, but are kinda a pain to load.. rushing around an hour before I go shooting I tend to reach for the factory mags first- which are fast and easy to load.

Happened to be shopping midway on a flight last night and found the factory 15-22 25 round mags on sale for 12 bucks. That's a great deal, now I've got yet more mags :).