Looking for a good .45 ACP for home defense

meat

What are some good suggestions for a .45 semi-auto that could be used for a home defense weapon?

Sierra

The choices are as limited as your wallet. Any Colt, Kimber or Springfield should give you no problems. Spotty reports on Charles Daly, Llama, Rock Island. The cheapest and one of the most reliable would be the Ruger .45. Good luck

meat

I take it that the offerings from Glock, Sig, and, HK would be just as good? I'm under the impression (probably incorrectly) that most 1911's aren't as reliable as these weapons are out of the box.

priv8ter

not sure but

Is there such thing as a bad .45? I mean, your typical 'junk' pistol brands are usually in smaller calibers. I've never really heard of a bad .45.

Shake

There are a lot of good .45s out there, 1911s, Rugers, H&K USPs, GLOCKs, CZs, Beretta, SIG, etc.

Were it me (and I needed back-up for my 12 gauge :D ) I'd select an H&K USP, a 1911, or a CZ97B. All of the above are great guns and you really couldn't go wrong. You can get a reliable 1911 out of the box.

Shake

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Sig-Sauer P220, H&K USP-F, Glock 21 are all hard to beat.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Marko Kloos

It all depends on your budget, and what type of trigger and safety system you feel suits you.

The Ruger autopistols in .45ACP are all reliable and tough,as well as relatively inexpensive. The Glocks in .45 are a bit more pricy, and some people don't like the lack of a manual safety or the Glock "Safe Action" trigger system, but Glocks are also extremely reliable and tough guns.

SIG makes the P220 and P245, which are very well made and relatively pricy. Heckler & Koch offers the USP in both full-sized and compact variants in .45ACP, although they tend to be even more expensive than SIGs and Glocks.

If you are familiar with single action triggers, and don't mind the idea of "cocked & locked" carry, there's the big world of the 1911...all sizes from longslide to ultra-compact, from manufacturers like Colt, Kimber, Springfield Armory, and Para-Ordnance. A 1911 from any of those manufacturers will cost you anywhere from $500-2500, but a nice and well-tuned 1911 is a thing of beauty and well worth the money.

dsk

1911s are not cheap to make. As a result most low to mid-range 1911 manufacturers have to cut corners somewhere. This is where all the complaints of unreliable 1911s come from. All three of my new Colts had a few glitches, as did my Kimber. But once I had ironed out those minor issues (i.e., replaced junk factory parts with better aftermarket ones) they've become every bit as reliable as any .45 handgun on the market. But I also know how to work on 1911s. I'd suggest newbie handgun owners avoid them, unless they are willing to spend the big dollars on a Wilson, Les Baer, or RRA pistol.

Some here have suggested a Ruger. I think that would be an excellent choice, or else a SIG P220 if your budget permits.

Blackhawk

priv8ter,
Is there such thing as a bad .45?
How about a Taurus PT-145 made before they fixed the frame cracking problem -- if they fixed the problem -- if they ever admitted there WAS a problem...?

1911A1 fan

Well if your asking!

At the risk of many flames......if you havent formed an opinion yet on what would make a good house gun. Then maybe you should stay away from 1911s and Glocks. The good thing about SAs and Glocks are that they are easy to shoot. The bad thing about them is that they are easy to shoot. ADs are common with these guns in untrained hands. A DA/SA would be better to start out with and then work up to a 1911. There are many of them out there now,so go to your local shop and see what feels good in your hands. Better yet if there is a shop in your area that rents them so you can try them out. all the better. Stick with major brands and stay away from the junk like Hi-points and the like.

VVG

As a practical matter, you can get a used SIG P220, or a Glock .45 for $450 to $600. You could get an M1911A1 clone for about the same price. Given the choice, most people would buy a shotgun, which are only $250 to $350 and are even more intimidating.

foghornl

Depends some on your preferences [what 'feels good' in your hands] and your budget.
Last time I visited my local gunshop the Ruger KP90 (matte finish SS 'uppers', alloy frame) was going for $440. The blue finish model is somewhat less. Available in manual safety, & decocker-only versions.

Kimbers are great 1911-style weapons, but pricier. Haven't fired a Glock, so no opinion there.

Good luck, and good shooting

J.R. Bob Dobbs

Sig 220, Ruger p90. I prefer the Sig; the Ruger costs less. Both have outstanding reputations.

I've had very bad luck with 2 Kimber 1911's; YMMV :)

Rovert

Meat, I agree with what most of what's been written here, but the question is really better asked why a .45?

For home defense, it's generally agreed that the best tool is a short barrel .12 gague, that short barrel, so it's easy to navigate through the halls.

If you can you tell us more about what you're after, and where your decision process has been so far, we might be able to focus in a bit better.

1911's too problematic for house defense

Nothing against 1911's, but they are more likely to be sent back to factory for reliability questions. Once they are set up right, can be reliable, but, you have to keep them lubed to the max, and then you still wonder. I would feel safe with a Wilson or Kobra I guess, they do shoot really good though. Glock's, Steyr's, Sig's, Ruger's, and any revolver statistically work better faster, and work better when not lubed up. Of course in all my bird hunting days I have never had a pump shotgun malfunction, so that is prolly best in the end.

jar

I think your choice of the 45acp as a HD round is great. The 45acp is both a joy to shoot and basically an accurate round. For HD I'd suggest, in order of Safety, Reliabilty, Cost and Availablity

A used S&W revolver
SiG 220
S*W 45acp pistol

those would be great choices and any one of them would make a great HD weapon.

meat

Rovert said,
Meat, I agree with what most of what's been written here, but the question is really better asked why a .45?
Basically I want a handgun. I want something small that can be left bedside at the ready when I go to bed. I agree that a 12 gauge is ideal, but I prefer a smaller weapon. I chose the .45 because of it's good track record for stopping power, I don't have to worry about it going through my neighbors house, his neighbors house, etc., and it isn't as likely to be as loud and cause the hearing damage that a .357 mag would if fired indoors.