Looking for a budget priced 357 mag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noreaster

I find myself in need of a service revolver. Specifically a 4inch 357/38spl. Can't believe I don't one, but I don't. I can't find anything used in my area for a decent price, (love to find a security six or M65.) Went shopping today and the new gun prices for S&W are killing me. Bud's has the Taurus 65 blued at a fair price but I'm not sure how it would hold up, (only be putting a couple hundred rounds of 38spl through per year and maybe one box of 357 mag.) Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm shocked at the used gun market in New England, not many revolvers out there and prices are unreal.

Florida Cracker

What about a Rossi? I've shot one in 357 and it shot well with a nice trigger. If I was in the market and price was a concern, it would be on my list to look at.

Hansam

Rossi = Taurus.

Anyway some of the older Taurus pistols are actually really good quality guns. The newer ones don't fly too well with me.

So you say you're looking for a budget priced .357mag but you never stated your budget. I'm sure for some people on this forum a budget priced .357mag means a Dan Wesson revolver... which for me and maybe you is NOT budget priced.

That said if you can find some of the older Taurus revolvers they'll do fine for an inexpensive revolver. Rugers are always a good go to gun for inexpensive but reliable revolvers. You might get lucky and find a used Colt or S&W for cheap too...

Good luck but seeing as I know nothing of the gun market in your area I can only hope you find something worthwhile that you're not going to be over paying for.

Noreaster

Thank you for the responses. I just can't believe what I saw today on the shelves. There was a Charter Arms, used, for $450. Crazy! The new prices were out there too. When I think of all the wheel guns I've owned I wanna vomit for not keeping them, (model 19, 66, 686, Security Six, GP100........) When I went out today I really thought I'd find a Security Six or older fix sight S&W for under $300.

I guess it's hit or miss with Taurus. S&W was making a model just under the 686 but they apparently discontinued it. My situation is unique in that I need a three or four inch six shot, fixed or adjustable sight in 38spl or 357 mag. My last two autos (Beretta & Glock,) cost less then what they are asking for a wheel gun now! Keep checking the shelves for something, I can't spend $600+ for a new one.

mj246

Rossi = Taurus.
-Hansam

Not quite. Rossi IS under Taurus as far as brand goes (Braztech) but is a different design and AFAIK made in a different factory. I have seen slightly less bad reviews of the Rossi 357s than the Taurus ones, but maybe this is just a function of less being sold in the U.S., I really don't know.

Either way, to get the best advice you need to specify exactly what the purpose is and even more so what you're budget is. I'd seriously look at both the Taurus and the Rossi if you're really constrained by money and/or time as long as you're willing to take the extra time to go through the warranty if necessary.

Otherwise, if you have a little more money or especially more time, keep looking for a used S&W or Ruger.

I actually like Charter Arms, but their 357 is the least appealing model because the 4" version is too light and too expensive to be worth it compared to a good medium frame from S&W, Ruger, Taurus, etc.

As always, JMHO and YMMV.

PawPaw

Venom1956 said:
Ruger 110% buying a Taurus is just asking for problems.

You see that a lot on the intertubes, but that hasn't been my experience. The few Taurus revolvers I've actually held and shot seem to be functional, serviceable handguns. Taurus has a lifetime warranty, which is something that speaks to their desire to please the customer.

Yeah, Taurus gets hammered on the internet, but if you talk to someone who actually owns and uses a Taurus, you often get a different story. Caveat Emptor holds a valid place in buying firearms, but I see very little risk in buying a new Taurus revolver.

Kreyzhorse

Ruger. It is a much better made gun by a company that backs their product.

It's possible to get a good Taurus, but if you get a bad one, you'll spend way more than the cost of the Ruger trying to get it to work right. Taurus QA and customer service are spotty at best.

Mastrogiacomo

I'd stick with a Ruger, new or used, they make the best quality guns with customer service that's damn near unmatched. These people are wonderful! I hear you about the revolver prices, but I'm sure that if you keep your eyes pealed you can find something used. I got my 686+ that way and it's fine gun. I'd have put a recommendation for gunbroker myself but unfortunately, it's got to be shipped to a FFL and local shops (near me anyway) usually charge $40+ dollars to transfer, but if you have someone that can do the transfer for free or on the cheap, it's certainly worth looking into. Good luck.

Laura

PawPaw

Not to denigrate Ruger, I've never had a bad one. Pawn shops normally have one or two used ones in the case. I recently picked up (within the last year) a very nice Security Six snubby for $225.00. There is nothing at all wrong with that little revolver, except it's a little heavy for my tastes. However, my son thinks it's the bees knees and I've got my carry revolvers. I gifted it to him and he's carrying it daily.

If you're on a budget, I'd start hitting the pawn shops and consignment racks. The used market has some real values these days.

Venom1956

Paw Paw I see very little risk in buying a new Taurus revolver.

I can respect that. I will share with you why I hold to my opinion.

I've acquired 3 taurus so far in my life, only three I've shot. Each one has failed...

The first I was gifted from my father new, (first revolver @ 14) a Tracker in .22 LR it was garbage. two of the chambers were drilled off and caused the bullets to strike the forcing cone which shaved a rather large chunk of lead off and flung it out the side of the gun. I didn't know it was having problems until one of those shavings sliced through my knuckle leaving a nice scar for my troubles. Plus its DA was terrible and grouped like a shotgun.

Second was a, female friend who purchased a new Taurus Ultra-Lite 85 for personal defense. I offered my ammo so she could practice with it, which after 3 cylinders full completely locked up and could not be opened which required gunsmith attention.

Last one was a friend who claimed his .357 Taurus was flawless. A blued Ported model with a 4" barrel. Worked great for awhile, then something in the lockwork 'shattered' (for lack of a better term) you could hear pieces loose inside, causing the cylinder to free spin counter and clockwise...

These are my experiences. I could not honestly recommend them to anyone after witnessing these failures. Guns need to work period. All of these problems are unacceptable IMO. Now if only one of these ever happened to me perhaps I would just take it as a fluke, every manufacturer has issues now and again, but seriously 3 for 3 and each one was unshootable or unsafe to fire.

Now if you own tauruses any enjoy them hell they could be your favorite gun on the planet I won't belittle you or make fun, I might even try it.

Now if you ask my opinion on them I will give it, I try to only give opinions on guns I have personally used or or own. I would hate for someone to have any of these problems right out of the gate either as a new shooter or revolver owner, especially if it is their only gun. My tracker put me off from revolvers completely for 5 years until I got a OM Blackhawk, now they dominate my collection.

Doug S

Agree with some of the others...look for a used Ruger. I've owned 7 Taurus guns, and over half have required at least one trip back to the factory, so like venom1956, I'm talking from experience. Many like to claim that Taurus gets a bad reputation from non-owners, but that simply isn't true.

Newton24b

taurus is service grade technology. may not be what SOME people consider service grade, ala ruger security 6, but thats what it is.

Hansam

How talking about Taurus I just had a rather silly thought...

Imagine the controversy if Hi-Point made a revolver!?!? :eek::eek:

Jeff #111

Can you just bite the bullet and purchase a new Ruger or Smith & Wesson? Perhaps put one on layaway? Are you looking to purchase one for work or just to have in your collection? I would think that would influence your decision. I wouldn't buy a Taurus if it was for work. If it's just to have in the collection then get the Taurus. For example I'm thinking about the company's 22 revolver for my collection

mega twin

Not a 357,but Bud's Gun Shop has used model 10 S&W's for 269/with free shipping.
Not too many quality guns you can get into for that price.

roaddog28

The best 357 magnum for quality and price is a used Ruger Security Six. Tough as nails and will outlast you. They can be found in good condition for $300 to $350. Stay away from Gunbroker because the members want too much. Be patient and one will show up.
Good luck,
Howard

Status
Not open for further replies.