looking for a 357 mag budget $600

Ryu825

That's an easy one, get a ruger gp100. Can be had for just under $600 brand new. Here's a pic of mine. This one was about $85 over your limit but I feel the need to show it off :cool: View attachment 90627

Last edited:

redlevel42

I can't understand why you specify new.

Neither Ruger, S&W, nor Colt have produced anything nearly the quality of S&W revolvers from the late 50s through the late 70s in recent years. You can find a Model 19 or a Model 28 from that era within your budget and have a more reliable revolver than any production revolver available now.

xring3

I bought a Uberti single action in 357 for well under the $600.00 mark...of course I live in cowboy country

22-rimfire

The Ruger GP-100 would be my suggestion as well. I'd probably get a 4". I much prefered buying them when they were $400 new.

Hammerhead

I much prefered buying them when they were $400 new.
Going back in time probably isn't an option for him.

I paid just over $600 for a new 4" GP100. It's a very robust gun with with a great grip system that reduces felt recoil. It has become my primary handgun.

lagavulin62

"There is no issue, only bs being repeated on the internet. A S&W 357 will do just fine; however finding one in the OP's budget and NEW will be the issue, not the lock"

BigD, not going to get into the lock argument as far as the reliability issue and I would tend to agree with you that it's really a non issue in that regard. However as you stated price would be difficult for his price range.

Then there is the issue of cosmetics and although the GP100 is no beauty queen it does have a "practical beauty" about it that I think is hard to overlook. You can say all you want about how the lock is a non issue on the 686 as far as functionality but that hole just destroys the look and with two equal guns side by side I don't think too many would choose one with a hole in it. And that is why the "truth behind the lock" is really a non issue for most gun lovers. Then again who said the OP was a gun lover?

lagavulin62

Kilimanjaro wrote "A good used S&W Highway Patrolman or similar would be a good choice."

I probably have not been looking too hard, I admit I'm more involved with other things. I just am not seeing 28-2's for around 5-600 in good enough condition to feel good about paying in that range. But I keep hearing they are out there. I usually find what I want within reason but it's been tough going with the HP. Just my experience I am sharing.

rclark

<bracket>quote<close bracket>What you want to say... SA are the best <bracket>/quote<close bracket>

<bracket> is [ and <close bracket> is ] characters. All there is to it!

What you want to say ... SA are the best

peacefulgary

In my neck of the woods, the S&W 686 is above the $600 mark, but the Ruger GP100 is right at $600. If you can find one in stock, its the way to go, for a new revolver. Dont waste any more time researching, asking questions, or daydreaming about the differences, just go buy the 4" stainless GP100 and be happy you now have one of the best revolvers ever made.
I agree 100%!

lagavulin62

I was at the range today and they had the GP100 4 inch for $699.00. I have never bought a gun from them. :) SP101, can't remember the exact price but too much. I mean the difference wasn't even worth stepping down if you didn't want to pay for the GP100.

Winchester_73

I bought all of these 357s used, with no regrets :p Most were under $600, and I got all of them in the last 4 years. I much prefer buying used myself, but to each, their own...

GEDC0517.jpg

jrobin3360

If you insist on NEW, best bet, as stated previously would be a Ruger GP100.
If used is Ok for you & you know what to look for, then your options are a lot better. A couple of the LGS near me have priced a new GP100 slightly under $600 ($585 or so). I've seen a 6" 686 for $625.
I'm a big fan of the S&W Distinguished Combat Magnum (586-686) but new is around $900.
I'd take the Ruger. JMHO, you understand.

lagavulin62

I am in the used camp also but when I read a thread like this I usually assume this might be a first revolver purchase for the OP. So it's very likely he doesn't feel comfortable with all the checks for buying used? Hard for us to say more since he has not posted other than to open the thread.

towncarblue

i am willing to give up on the NEW part ... but i want a SNUB NOSE revolver...
i do not know how a 357mag would shoot as a snub
i would be willing to get a slightly smaller caliber if its as good as a 357mag....

Ferretboy

Smith and Wesson Model 36 in .38 Special is a good snubbie that you can find for decent prices, and is easy to conceal. I found a 3" for $499.