looking for a 357 mag budget $600

towncarblue

i am lookin for a 357 mag budget $600 / title says all
i want something reliable / good brand / brand new
what should i look for at the gun store????

idek

There are others here who know much more than I do about revolvers, but I think if you're talking brand new, your main DA options are S&W 686 or Ruger GP100 (full size revolvers) or Ruger SP101 or some S&W j-frame (I don't know all the model numbers) for smaller options.

Ruger makes various Blackhawk and Vaquero SA revolvers, some of which are .357.

There certainly are other brands, but those are some of the main current production options (and may all be close to your budget). Specifying what you'd use the gun for will make it easier for people to recommend specific guns.

Cousin Pat

357<600

Quality in revolvers to me means Colt, Ruger and Smith & Wesson. Ruger should work in your price range. Think about whether you want to pay for adjustable sights and about barrel length. A Blackhawk with 6.5" barrel and adjustable sights would be a good target gun; GP100 with 3-4" barrel might work better for carry. Personally, I dislike 357s blast a recoil with barrels below 4" and weights below, say, 40 oz. (but with the shorter, lighter guns you can also do your volume shooting with 38 Specials...). Finally, I think Ruger, like most, is well behind in production -- you may have to hunt around to find anything...

weblance

In my neck of the woods, the S&W 686 is above the $600 mark, but the Ruger GP100 is right at $600. If you can find one in stock, its the way to go, for a new revolver. Dont waste any more time researching, asking questions, or daydreaming about the differences, just go buy the 4" stainless GP100 and be happy you now have one of the best revolvers ever made.

Mine...

CCWPics025Medium.jpg

Winchester_73

If you look at used 357s, which is what I recommend, you could find a nice S&W or Ruger with ease and some Colt 357s are under $600. There are also Dan Wesson 357s that are often under $600. You have a vast amount of choices.

You need to consider what you want the gun for. I have a 4in 66 that I would carry, but its not as great at the range. I have a 27-2 that is a nice range gun, but too big to carry. Your plans for the gun are important. I would have to say a 4in K frame 357 is probably the best do it all 357. A 4in L frame is much heavier and a N frame is much bigger. The K frames are also smaller than the Ruger security guns, most of the colt 357s and they are smaller than the Dan Wessons. If you want to carry only, then you need a small 357 but be aware that the 357 loses a lot out of a 2in barrel.

Winchester_73

I just saw you want new. You will have a hard time finding anything good for $600 new. I think Ruger and S&W are both past that mark,

UncleEd

Depending on where you live and what kind of stores you have, look at a used GP 100 or S&W 686, (or the older Ruger Security Sixes and Smith model 28s) and if the store has some new ones, compare. Often you'll find that there is not a tink of difference between used and new except a few scratches, if that, and maybe the box is missing from the used one.

The prices of revolvers, new and used, have been going up rapidly, often matching or going beyond the prices of so-called quality auto pistols.

lagavulin62

I just checked Ruger's site. Nothing under 700 MSRP but nobody buys for MSRP. Bud's out of stock. I think if you are patient and shop around you should be able to find something for not much more than 600 in GP100 new. But finding it just may be the problem. Check your local stores and the gun shows for starters.

BigD_in_FL

Don't bother with a new Smith and the lock issue.

There is no issue, only bs being repeated on the internet. A S&W 357 will do just fine; however finding one in the OP's budget and NEW will be the issue, not the lock

DaleA

I'm afraid the title does NOT say it all.

Do you want a single action or a double action revolver? What size? Ruger LCR size or do you want a larger size?

More information will get you a better answer.

skidder

My 4" Security Six has been a great, inexpensive, general purpose revolver. I purchased this one from an LEO for $350. He said it was his first duty weapon. As you can see he took really good care of the gun.

SixPil2_zps196d7c1a.jpg

TennJed

I just saw you want new. You will have a hard time finding anything good for $600 new. I think Ruger and S&W are both past that mark

Local store had a new GP100 for $575 last time I was in and I bought a new SP101 last year for $550. Blackhawks can be had for the $500s. I bought a new Vaquero 357 in March for $600 OTD