Looking for a .223 single-shot

black mamba

T/C makes the original Contender, the Contender G2, and the larger/heavier Encore, all single shots. The Encore is better for larger cartridges, but either Contender model would be perfect for the .223, in either rifle or long barreled pistol configuration.

Here's a real .223 single shot for ya... Ruger #1 Varminter...:D

rugerno1.jpg

windshear

Savage 24?

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but it might be worth looking for an old Savage 24V or 24F. I've got one of each. The 24V is .223 over 20 gauge while the 24F is .223 over 12 gauge. The older 24V is my favorite of the two. The rifle barrels on both are quite accurate, though the 24F appears and is (since new) rather rough inside. Patterns from the shotgun barrels aren't the best, but good enough for squirrels.

FWIW, I think the ideal squirrel rifle would be the Savage 24 in .22RF over 20 gauge. .22/.410 Ga. would be good too. Been awhile since they made those, but there's always a few at the gunshows.

one more shot

T/C all the way!

I have both a contender and encore and it is the only way to go. You can pick almost any caliber. Accurate and I love both of them.

Picher

I'm going out on a limb here to state that any Handi-Rifle or Rossi single break-open that will shoot 1" groups at 100 yards is a rarity. Such singles tend to shoot about 1 1/2"-3" groups at 100 yards, depending on rest/ammo.

A TC Encore/Contender carbine with a great barrel should meet your needs for a single shot, but a good bolt-action may have greater potential.

.223 4 me

Handi/H&R

My Handi .223 is very accurate at 200yrds and all red at 100. with 55 grain.

Attachments

• Picture 1754.jpg
    Picture 1754.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 13
  • Picture 1756.jpg
    Picture 1756.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 13