Looking for a .223 single-shot

PawPaw

I've got a Handi in .223 and it's a file little rifle. Mine is the varmint model with the heavy barrel and really likes 55 grain V-Max bullets, which I'd consider a little heavy for squirrels. If you're a hunter, you might want to check the local game regs. In this state it's illegal to shoot squirrels with any rifle larger than .22 rimfire. Of course, if you're shooting ground squirrels, it might not matter. I shoot squirrels for meat and wouldn't want to try and eat anything hit with an exploding armint bullet.

Your mileage might vary.

RogueLeader

If you're considering a Rossi, why not a combo? There are a lot of choices, with the .223 as one of them. They're about the same price and you get 3 guns in one. My wife has a youth combo and it shoots very well. It has a bag that contains all 3 barrels and the stock in a very small package.

oneounceload

I also have the Handi in .223- and its accuracy is so-so OK - just haven't found a factory or handload that is going to cloverleaf at 100

You might look at one in 22 Hornet

aarondhgraham

Some of us don't consider it "limiting",,,

Why limit yourself to a single shot?

In reality it is a limiting factor,,,
But some of us love the one-shot mentality.

Only recently I have found a place,,,
Where I can bunny hunt early in the morning.

Anything I shoot I leave with the farmer,,,
He skins them for the hide and feeds his dogs with the meat.

Anyways, it is a somewhat romantic feeling to go out with a single-shot rifle,,,
With practice one can get a second shot chambered rather quickly,,,
I am much faster reloading with my break-open than a bolt.

It's also a less expensive way to own different calibers.

So yes, in actuality it is limiting,,,
But the aesthetic pleasure of a single-shot evens it out to me.

Just my humble thoughts on the subject.

Aarond

mrawesome22

I hope you plan on waiting until the squirrels are on the ground before you shoot. If you miss while shooting at them in trees, you will be sending bullets into the next county...

Bamashooter

I would suggest a Handi-Rifle. I have a .243 handi-rifle and it will shoot just over 1'' groups at 100yrds and 3.5'' at 300yrds with Remington Cor-Lokt 100gr. ammo. I personally think they are better guns than rossi and not quite as good as T/C.

603Country

My Dad has a Handi-rifle in 223. The barrel is heavier than what I'd call standard, but I don't know if it's the varmint barrel. I handloaded for him for a while, and found that the Sierra 63 grain bullet (GK?) shot quite well. He doesn't have any sort of shooting bench, so I didn't measure any groups, but I could do 1 inch or less. No telling how many coyotes he's busted with that rifle. He likes it so much that when I got him a Zeiss Conquest 3X9 for Christmas one year, I was going to put it on his Ruger 270 deer rifle, but he said to put it on his Handi rifle. Geez...a Zeiss on a Handi Rifle. Oh, well...

tahunua001

I wouldn't get a rossi, their reputation for shody workmanship ever since them and taurus joined forces is a major concern of mine. 2 good single shots off the top of my head are the ruger #1 and the thompson center contender. the contender is really good and has the option to convert from pistol to rifle and caliber change is as simple as replacing the barrel. the ruger is a more expensive option and is purely a hunting rifle. some calibers tend to be more accurate than others but I believe that the 223 model is one of the better variants.

Toney

I've had a rossi three barrel set, would'nt recomend one. The 22 barell would'nt shoot good enough to sight it in. The 243 barrel would shoot into 6" with the best load.
I've had a couple handys the 223 would almost shoot moa. The 270 did'nt shoot as good but never missed any game.
The balance is a little off, there kind'a hard to shoot off hand. If you want a cheap tack driver i'd get a stevens bolt gun, i'm left handed it's not hard reaching over to operate the bolt.

oneounceload

Depending on your budget, Browning makes their BLR lever gun in 223.
A TC is available in a lot of cartridges, with easily interchanged barrels, you can have a wide variety with minimal cost and great accuracy

Antique Shooter

I also have the Handi Rifle. I think it shoots pretty good, right about an inch at 100yds. I shoot the 55 grain V-max for hogs, and Core lokt SP's for turkey.

Do you plan on eating the squirrels? I think the .223 is a little too much for squirrels, after seeing what it does to a ground hog.

Have you thought about a .22 mag? That would be good to about 150 yds depending on conditions, and quality of gun.

Just asking, but where can you see, or shoot a squirrel past 100yds?

Antique Shooter

Jeff56

A .17 would be a better choice for squirrels at 100 yards. You might still have some squirrel left. Finding a single shot might be tough but semi-autos aren't and they are considerably more accurate at 100 yards than a .22. But I have several .22's that will shoot 1" groups at 100 yards.

BTW I wouldn't go blaming Taurus too much for the problems on a Rossi. I have a Taurus that is beyond excellent. It's a fantastic gun IMO.

Thirties

The only tree squirrels I shoot are with Super Colibri. No, I don't eat squirrel or any other game.

I guess a RH bolt action is worth checking into. Thanks for the many thoughtful replies.

DeerSlayer86

T/C makes a really sweet single shot. 100 yds? Easy day with their rifles.About the rossi: they are priced like that for a reason. They are fun to mess around with but other than that I probably wouldn't get one.