Looking for .277 150 grain Round Nose Bullets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cascade1911

Anyone make/ sell them anymore? Last batch I got were Remington and Speer, probably over ten years ago. Looking for more and haven't found anyone who lists them.

(And yes, I know, I should be firing pointy bullets out of my Model 77 and yes, I have lots of 140 gr BTSP's and 130 gr SST's but I've been using 150 gr RN on White Tails for over 30 years and would just as soon keep on using them thank you.)

taylorce1

Check Hawk Precision bullets, I think they still make a 150 grain RN, but you'll probably pay more than you want.

jersurf101

Try Nosler partitions. They are one of the best IMHO. I have used them in 30-30 and .270 win and they are great hunting bullets.

Mike / Tx

The last ones I have seen were the Hornady. I think they dropped them from their line in the past two or so years though. You might however still find a few up for sale here or there.

steveno

the 160 grain Nosler Partition was by far the most accurate shooting bullet in my Ruger #1A. maybe a little expensive but a pretty small part of a budget for a hunting trip

math teacher

Round nose bullets kind of defeat the purpose of a 270 in the first place unless you are doing a reduced load where pointed bullets won't stabilize.

Cascade1911

Thanks all.
Taylorce1 and Pongo: Hawk Precision, check and you're right, not that hard up for them yet.
jersurf101 and Steveno: The noslers do have a good rep and like heavy bullets for the short ranges available in my area.
FrankenMauser: Remington, it's funny that they sell the 150 gr Core-Lokt as loaded ammo but don't list it as a component anymore.

Math Teacher: You are absolutely right and it doesn't matter in the least. I got my M77 when I was 17. Well my grandfather and father, they use heavy round nose bullets for deer hunting and I'm given my first yellow and green box of 150 gr Core-Lokt's. Fast foward thirty three years. Every White Tail I've pulled the trigger on has stopped within fifty yards of the place he was hit. I've not had a shot over 100 yards. I bet the Noslers and Game Kings etc would probably do even better and if I can't get the RN's I'll hunt with one of them without a worry. Right now, the RN's work. They also remind me of my grandfather every time I look at them.

Thanks again all.

FrankenMauser

FrankenMauser: Remington, it's funny that they sell the 150 gr Core-Lokt as loaded ammo but don't list it as a component anymore.
They sell the 'over-run' bullets to Midway, after their run of ammunition. You may only see them once a year (or less), but they do show up - just like the .277" Bronze Points that aren't officially component bullets any more.

Cascade1911

That explains why I was always getting them in plastic bags. I just figured Mid-South was buying them bulk and breaking them down.

totaldla

So for 30 years you've been doing something, uh, err, "questionable" and NOW you're finally noticing that the rest of the world has moved on? I think you really should spend a little time and understand what your 270 can do.

I suspect you have all sorts of misunderstandings that have led you to believe round-nose is the way to go. By the way, round-nose was the way to go in 1950.

FrankenMauser

So for 30 years you've been doing something, uh, err, "questionable" and NOW you're finally noticing that the rest of the world has moved on? I think you really should spend a little time and understand what your 270 can do.

I suspect you have all sorts of misunderstandings that have led you to believe round-nose is the way to go. By the way, round-nose was the way to go in 1950.
Aside from your comment being rude, and unprovoked....
Just because you believe .270 Winchester should only be used as a "flat shooting" cartridge, with spitzer bullets, doesn't mean it's the only way to use the cartridge.

When someone asks for help on these forums, we help them. It may be worthwhile to ask why they are doing what they're doing, and offer a correction if they're doing something dangerous. But, insinuating that someone is an idiot and needs to 'get with the times', because of their bullet preference, is not how we do things here.

One primary reason to consider round nose bullets:
They expand more reliably, and at lower velocities, than spitzer bullets. That, alone, can be an important factor for certain types of hunting.

Paul B.

One of my favorite bullets for my 7x57 is the now long discontinued Sierra Pro-Hunter 170 gr. round nose bullet. They just flat out work. Hornadys 175 gr. round nose is a close second , especially in my Ruger #1A. A kind gentleman who had almost 200 of those Sierra bullets sold them to me for a reasonable price. I much prefer them when the conditions warrant. I do use pointy style bullets most of the time. :D Am even considering the 150 gr. Nosler ABLR for my 7x57.
I can't help the OP in his search for the bullets he wants as I don't have any but I'll keep my eyes open.
Paul B.

Cascade1911

Thanks FrankenMauser. Not sure why people get all het up about what is really a personal choice. Never said the 150 RN's were the best and I've never even advocated others try them. When I've bee asked about what to load I admit what I'm running and then tell 'em to try 140 grain Game Kings (I even have a bunch loaded after I worked up a nice load for them). Used to hunt wood chucks for various farmers with 100 gr Speer and Remingtons.

To "totaldla", I don't really follow your "logic". Questionable would be doing something for 30 years that didn't work. My stupidity leads me to believe that the questionable choice would be to abandon something that has worked perfectly for well over 30 years and makes me happy to boot. Have "finally" noticed the world has "moved on"? Nope, I knew the 150 rn's were basically legacy by the time I started reloading about 28 years ago. Was a big fan of Jack O'Connor and don't remember him even talking about 150 gr RN's. So, when they clear cut the Northern Berkshires and eastern Adirondacks I've got my 130 and 140 grain BTSP all loaded up and ready to go. I even shoot them now and again, just not at white tails. :D

Thanks to all who have given me suggestions on where to find 150's.

pathdoc

One primary reason to consider round nose bullets:
They expand more reliably, and at lower velocities, than spitzer bullets. That, alone, can be an important factor for certain types of hunting.

Interesting and useful to know! Going on from there (and leaving tubular magazine issues aside), what point, then, in making monolithic solids and other heavy-jacketed non-expanding hunting bullets as round- or flat-noses? Granted, they've always been among the heaviest bullets in any calibre, so maybe length (and therefore stabilisation) was a factor in older, run-of-the-mill hunting rifles? (as opposed to the current crop of target and tactical rifles optimised from the start for the new wave of ultra-long, ultra-heavy VLD spitzers)

Mind you, if I were going to question 150gn RNs in the .270, my question would be: "Why stop at 150 grains? Does anyone make anything heavier?"

Cascade1911

Stability would be the only issue. I've seen but not tried any of the various 160 grain offerings I've seen here and there. The 150 grain BTSP's I've tried never seemed to group as well as the 150 RN's though the 130 SST's and 100 SP's I shoot group better. This in my M77 w/ 1:10" twist. The 270 Win rifles w/ 1:9 and 1:9.5 would probably like 160's

Mike / Tx

Most of the time the RN bullets of various calibers WILL group better than say the same or possibly heavier weight in a spitzer, or spitzer BT design. Mainly due to them being shorter in length for weight, and being able to stabilize at a wider velocity range.

Some of the heavier/longer spitzers(BT) designs have issues simply due to the lenght not working well with a slower twist per caliber.

As for the coming of age comment, well if your stuck on everything new and wonderful, your sure missing out on a lot of tried and true performance. If you think that the newest, wiz bang, state of the art computer designed bullets are the only way to go, and pushing them to the limits of the brass they are loaded into is the best thing since sliced bread, then fella your the one who needs and should "spend a little time and understand what YOUR 270 can do."

JD0x0

Stability would be the only issue.
AFAIK the 'standard' 1:10 twist in .270 will stabilize the Woodleigh 180 grain PP bullet. So 160's should have no problem stabilizing. I can't comment on accuracy, as I've never shot them, but the 150 grain boat tails I've shot in my M77 .270 are extremely accurate.

I've tested the corelokt RN 150's on a large gourd for poops and giggles, and results were interesting. Entrance hole was the size of a golf ball, the exit hole was about the size of a softball. The insides were pulverized, and there was about a 1 inch wide hole on the top of the gourd extending about 5-6 inches long.

Status
Not open for further replies.