Sell me on a brand and model...
1)Not a black plastic pistol
2)Not a high dollar competition pistol
3)Prefer a .45
4)prefer north american made
5)durable
6)reliable
7)High capacity is fine
8)I would rather dress to accommodate the weapon then carry a mouse.
I have recently seen the Para Hawg... I like it. Are there any wide spread complaints/concerns....
Brent

GJJag

just got this i love it about $900, stainleess, .45, compact,:eek:
013.jpg

cbennettx

Some strict guidelines, but here goes.

Get an older Sig 220. Yeah I know it's not made in N.America. Since you don't want black plastic, cheaper get's harder to find.

You won't find a better .45 than the 220, and an older German or W. German model can be found for $500-$550.00; good luck.

jdc1244

1)Not a black plastic pistol
2)Not a high dollar competition pistol
3)Prefer a .45
4)prefer north american made
5)durable
6)reliable
7)High capacity is fine

You've described a Colt’s 1911. If you’re OK with out high capacity and consider high dollar to be over $1000, you’re good to go.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
I would really like to say $700 is high dollar:eek: But I also know I get what I pay for. I am open to used purchase but I need to learn where the wear and damage can be spotted to rule out a "pig in a poke" deal.
Brent

Smaug

How about a Ruger KP90?

I had one from new for 11 years. Nice gun. Reliable, accurate, probably as accurate as a basic 1911. (except for the first DA shot)

I sold mine in good condition used for $250. You can probably find one on gunbroker or locally for $300-350. Keep an eye out in the Classifieds at rugerforum.net. Even brand new, they went for about $500.

4-1/2" barrel. Brilliant with a Hogue grip. Easy to shoot well, and a soft, pushy (as opposed to snappy) recoil.

RugerKP90_1.jpg

RugerKP90_2.jpg

Another good option might be the new FN FNP 45. It got a rave review in the latest issue of American Handgunner. They're American-made.

Here's the scoop on it. They all have some black on them though. Brown/black, black/black, and black/stainless. I like the black/stainless myself.

FNM0062mb.png

Here's Jeff "I Like it" Quinn's review on it:
http://www.gunblast.com/fnp45.htm

Here's the Handguns review on it:
http://www.handgunsmag.com/featured_handguns/hg_a45_200803/

Thinking on it again, I think I'd stick with a 1911, unless you're really against SA triggers.

Last edited:

ƒORTE

Considering your criteria, the pre-owned route may be your best bet.

Sig 220
SA Loaded-Gen,IL
Para-something or other
AND of course Ruger

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Hadn't even crossed my mind to look at the ruger... I didn't know they had a .45 even... My last CCW was a Ruger P-85 that was pre-recall. I think that dates it on back a far piece...
Brent

JWT

Colt 1911 .45ACP (any variant) or Dan Wesson CBOB .45ACP. They're made in the USA and are very solid, good shooting hand guns.

BigJimP

I'm a 1911 guy / and I like the Wilson Combat CQB in a 5" and its my primary carry gun - but if that's out of your price range, I would recommend the Sig 220 if you want to stay with a .45 acp. For a smaller gun - I do keep a Sig 239 single stack in .40 in my vehicle - and I think that is a good option as well - for something smaller -with Hydra Shoks in it.

It kind of depends on how much you want to spend on a gun / or what you want out of the gun. There are other 1911's out there / lots of them actually, which I'm sure you know ...but I don't know if I'd trust any of them as a primary carry weapon or not. Ed Brown makes a nice carry gun / Kobra carry - although its a little small in my hands. I have a few of Kimber's 1911's - but I've so many issues come up with them, I'm not sure I'd trust them as a carry gun.

I hear the Para Hawg's are getting better - but I don't know if I'd trust one or not / but I don't have much experience with them either so I can't help you there. For me, in a .45 acp I just can't get away from a 1911 - its slim, its lethal, it has a great trigger, good sights ....and all of my guns from Wilson Combat have run flawlessly right out of the box / unfortunately, you have to come up with about $ 2,500 these days or look for a good used one ( but a lot of us are looking for used Wilson's all the time too .....) and even then I don't think you'll find a good used Wilson under $ 1,800 these days / and if you find one and don't buy end - send me a note .....( I need a few more, just in case).

Smaug

Lots of guys (including myself, hehehe) are having problems with reading comprehension.

He said "no black."