Longest distance with target 10/22?

cracked butt

I was just plinking with my rem 581 .22 at 100 and 200 yards friday. At 100 yards it would print 1 1/2 " 5 shot groups with the ammo I was using. After some practise I was able to hit a 20 oz soda bottle ever time offhand at 100 yards. I also shot at a gong at 200 yards. AS someone already mentioned, the bullets really drop off after 140 or so yards. The gong was 16" in diameter and painted black. While shooting off a bench, I could see the bullet travelling downrange contrasted against the black gong, when it it around 150 yards out, the bullets looked like they did a nosedive. I had to aim about 2 feet high to hit the gong at 200 yards.

Brookie

I did some shooting at 200 yards with a CZ452. Once I was able to figure the hold over it was not that difficult to plink clay pigeon chips off the berm at 210 yards. Not that I hit every chip but it was not just lucky shots.

Since then I got some Burris Signature rings and used the +20 ring in the back and the -5 ring in the front to allow me to hold directly on the target at 200. It is no problem putting 50 out of 50 into an 8" target if the wind is not too strong or too variable.

As for a 300 yard shot, 1MOA is about 3.15 inches at 300 yards. That would be plenty accurate to hit a 5 inch target. Obviously range estimation is very important as is reading wind etc. but no different than any shot at extreme range.

The holdover in inches/feet sounds like a lot but is similar to the holdover at extreme ranges with a 308. At 500 yards you need to hold over about 90 moa or 1.5 degrees to compensate for about 40 feet of drop. I have heard of one person plinking cans with regularity at 400 yards. Not something you do every day but definitely worth a try.

Jamie Young

normal scope will usually run out of elevation adjustment to compensate for such drop.

My hold over for shooting 300yds with My 10/22 was right about 1/4 of inch away from the roof covering the bench I was shooting from. Any higher and I would have put a hole the roof. Someone sitting next me asked If I was sending artillery down range. I shot 300yds on a wet Sunday morning and could see splashes in the grass as I missed. I could just about hit a man sized target at 300yds "with no wind." With any wind, I'd be lucky if I could hit anything past 150yds. I'm talking hits and not grouping of any kind.

vlasfarg

Ammo matter?

Hi all,

New around here. Happy owner of a new ss Rugger 10/22.

So far I have been shooting it with various ammo and it eats everything without any issue.
I shot at 25', 50', 100' and I wonder if it would be a waste of time to try at 200'.

I noticed that the CCI stinger at 100' shoots about 4" higher. Would that be the ammo you would pick to try shooting at 200'?

Thx, V

allaroundhunter

Hi all,

New around here. Happy owner of a new ss Rugger 10/22.

So far I have been shooting it with various ammo and it eats everything without any issue.
I shot at 25', 50', 100' and I wonder if it would be a waste of time to try at 200'.

I noticed that the CCI stinger at 100' shoots about 4" higher. Would that be the ammo you would pick to try shooting at 200'?

Thx, V

V,

200' is less than 75 yards. The rifle is more than capable of being accurate at that range, the determining factor will be the ammo that you use, and you. Different rifles will be more accurate with different types of ammo, you just have to try different things out and see what your gun likes. After that, just practice a lot and you will be shooting very well at 200' and can push it even further than that.

Sent from my HTC One X

emcon5

Realizing this thread is 10 years old, generally speaking for .22LR accuracy you want a bullet that starts subsonic. The transition from supersonic to subsonic flight is disruptive and can hurt accuracy (some bullets are less suceptable than others).

vlasfarg

My bad - I was thinking 25, 50, 100 and 200 yards, not feet.

So trying to shoot over 100 yards with a 22lr 10/22 is stretching the capability of the rifle and ammo (whatever the ammo), correct?

emcon5

Correct, generally speaking.

Some guys I used to compete with said great practice for 1000 yard shooting with a .308 was .22 LR at 200 yards, because the effects of the wind were similar.

It is certainly possible to shoot well at over 100 yards, but it is a long way for a .22LR.

Old Grump

Member in memoriam
My bad - I was thinking 25, 50, 100 and 200 yards, not feet.

So trying to shoot over 100 yards with a 22lr 10/22 is stretching the capability of the rifle and ammo (whatever the ammo), correct?
Not much of a stretch really as long as you have favorable winds. I can do 8" at 100 yards with my pistol and 4.3" clay pigeons at 200 yards with my 10/22. 22lr is better than most people think, might not kill a moose but it puts a hole in a 1x4 board at that range without any problems.

Bart B.

The NRA actually has 200 yard smallbore targets folks shoot at from the prone position used in "mini Palma" matches. Dimensions:

Rule 4.13 200 Yard Target.
A-21 - Single bullseye. 8, 9, and 10 rings black
X ring . . . . . . . . . 2 inches
10 ring . . . . . . . . .4 inches
9 ring . . . . . . . . . 8 inches
8 ring . . . . . . . . 12 inches
7 ring . . . . . . . . 16 inches
6 ring . . . . . . . . 20 inches

Note these dimensions are twice those used on the standard 100 yard target.

The best rimfire match ammo these days will stay under 3/4 inch at 100 yards in a good barrel (best wishes finding one these days). At 200 yards, the muzzle velocity spread and drift from subtle winds makes best accuracy to hope for is about 2.5 inches at 200 yards. With a barrel and ammo that'll shoot that well, in the hands of the best competitors and no wind, the best they'll shoot bullets is about 3.5 to 4 inches at 400 yards.

Tempest 455

Thx, V

No, use Blazer or Velocitor. Stingers are too light and windage is a problem.

Tempest 455

It is certainly possible to shoot well at over 100 yards, but it is a long way for a .22LR.

I must comment on this as well. A high velocity .22 has plenty of velocity to kill you at 300+ yards if you get hit near vitals. A "accurate" gun (sub MOA at 100) will still be pretty accurate out to 300 yards without a lot of wind.

Factor high winds, all bets are off.

RamItOne

In regards to the 308 yard shot

Impressive

200 yard zero
4992D7D9-93CD-46F1-B634-6707A0342F5E-41403-000027103ED8BA72.jpg

5 mph crosswind
B53CC2F5-7939-4F07-9D4F-AC62779FDC8D-41403-0000271045BA5EAA.jpg

Adjustments
42FB193F-DD30-4ED6-9778-5DAD83898F27-41403-000027104C34B507.jpg

vlasfarg

Outstanding!

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and the data. This is outstanding!
Next trip to the range, I will go for the 200 yards target. I am quite excited!!! The last time I shot that distance was 25 years ago with a Famas (5.56) and a MAS 36 rev.49
Velocitor and stinger do not seem to be the way to go at 200 yards as the bullet will go from supersonic to subsonic way before it hits the target.
I have a box of Remington target ammunition that the cartridges have subsonic velocity at the muzzle. This is what I will experiment with and post reports on. They are round nose lead bullets

I equipped my 10/22 with a 4-16 x 40 scope - Even at 12x, the target is very clearly visible at 200 yards - now, I hope the wind will be low and I will focus on my trigger control :) ...

Thanks again for sharing your priceless expertise.

Vincent