Longest distance with target 10/22?

TwoGuns

What's the farthest distance you've shot at accurately with your 10/22? I've always wanted to try this with my 10/22 but haven't had the chance. Anyone?

Mal H

Staff
Unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to try super long distances since I only have access to a 100 yard range when shooting the 10/22. But I can routinely hit small pieces of clay pigeon ( pieces < 1" ) on the berm behind the targets. That's roughly 115 yards. So I've gotta think I can shoot accurately a whole lot further out than that. Maybe 200 yards without much aiming effort.

One notable person here on TFL hit a squirrel at 308 yards with her 10/22. Now that's a fine shot. I asked if she didn't have that mixed up - a squirrel at 22 yards with a .308. Nope - it was 308 yards. She said there was a lot of luck involved. Maybe so, but there's a lot of skill involved also.

trapshooter

Gotta second MalH. The 10/22T is a pretty accurate semi-auto .22. To get better, you'd have to go to a bolt gun, out of the box, unless Remington is not kidding in those ads about the 597(?). Haven't shot one (Rem), so I can't really say. Would like to try one out, though.

OTOH, the drop for .22lr (at least) can get pretty extreme beyond 100yds, and I would have to be shooting some tested ammo to expect first-shot hits beyond that on a small target. I guess that's true with any gun, though, at ranges approaching it's max capabilities. Then there's the wind. Really pushes a .22lr around at 150-200 and beyond.

Kermit

100 yards is max for me too. The range my buddies frequent for rifle shooting is a tad far. 10/22's are some fun guns :)

Oris

10/22 or bolt action - hitting anything accurately beyond 200 yards is a pure luck. Reason being that .22 bullet drops so much after 140+ yards, normal scope will usually run out of elevation adjustment to compensate for such drop.

I do not believe this story about 308 yard shoot, if we're talking about accuracy potential of .22 LR. Even if squirrel was stupid enough to catch bullet at such distance, it has nothing to do
with the skills of the shooter or capability of a rifle.

Mal H

Staff
You don't believe the account or you find it hard to believe? There is a big difference in those two, I can agree with the latter. However, the veracity of the particular shooter is not to be questioned. It did happen, it was planned, it wasn't all luck which leaves some skill as a great possibility.

And I don't think the squirrels intelligence had much to do with the shot.

[added a little later]
I finally found the thread: http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32654

Oris

Mal H,

It's much more easier than you think. In order for me to believe
in this story, I need to know ar WHAT ANGLE did the shooter
actually held the rifle? At least approximately...Trajectory/drop
of .22 LR is well known...I mean no disrespect, but I got to know
the setup your shooter used, to believe in something which is so unbelievable...I'm shooting .22 target rifles for 30 years, so I got
to know. Personally, I had great difficulty shooting past 200 yards
even with my 26" bull barrel bolt action, because frickin bullets just hit the ground and refuse to fly to the target set at 210 yards..

bernie

A while back I was reading about the Israelis using 10/22's for military purposes. It made me curious what was possible, so I took my accurized 10/22 out for a day at the range. At 150 yards off of a bipod, it was no trick to hit an aluminum can. But it did take quite a bit of adjustment on the elevation of the scope.

Mal, I don't know what to say about that story. I don't know the person involved, but you have to admit that there is a lot of luck involved in a shot like that. I don't care if she is the greatest shot of all time, and she may very well be for all I know. The question for me isn't if this happened. I don't doubt it could happen, but surely you have to admit that this was her lucky day. I was thinking about trying to figure the drop on a .22 LR at that range but I wouldn't know where to start. As was already mentioned, I would think that you would certainly run out of scope elevation long before a range like that. And at a range like that, with the bullet dropping like a stone, extremly precise range and sight settings would be required. I bet at that range you could miss the whole squirrel if you range estimation was off by a few feet. Then you get into the potential accuracy of the rifle. A ground squirrel couldn't be more than a couple inches wide by maybe five inches tall ? If that ? We are talking about shooting better than MOA at 300 yards with a bone stock .22 autoloader.
Anyway, my hat is off to her. Skill, luck, whatever it makes a great story.

Cain R

185 yard Gopher Hits

I wondered that very same thing, yesterday my best hits were 185 paces at several gophers. I went 15 hits for 25 shots trying to shoot between wind gusts. Remington Cyclone were a little more accurate but the Remington Yellow Jacket anchored the gophers on the spot.

So tonight I set up the Ruger, a Heavy Barrel Ruger Traget model and from a sandbagged rest put 20 rounds into 1.5" at 100 yards with the Cyclone and 20 rounds of the Yellow Jacket into just a hair under 2.0"

My all time best shot was this spring when there was still snow on the ground and the gophers showed up very good. 225 paces from a solid rest off the deck railing. Still haven't made a shot to equal that one. Seems the more shooting you do the more "luck shots" like that one you get.:D

True, the more you shoot, the luckier you get but shooting at 200 yards with a .22 and shooting at 300 yards with a .22 is a whole different world. And doing it under field conditions is even more remarkable. I would love to know what kind of scope she was using or was this done with iron sights ?
I would put this one right up there with someone saying they handily beat Tiger Woods at golf. It could happen, and I hope you bought a lottery ticket that day. People are winning millions from the lottery every week all over the country. The odds are over a million to one, but they do it. I keep hoping the sun will shine on me someday.

Charlie Rock

Long range with a .22? Never have tried it much myself. But my brother and I were discussing it just the other day. His daughter bought a new Rossi matched pair .22 rifle / .410 shotgun combo from Wal-Mart about 3 months ago. Phil put a Tasco 4x 22 scope on it and has been shooting some good groups at 50 yards where he had it zeroed. So Thursday he decides to try it at 100 yards.

http://members.cox.net/czsimmons/Rossi/Rossi01.jpg

http://members.cox.net/czsimmons/Rossi/Rossi03.jpg

Not bad for a rifle / shotgun that only cost $125 and with a $40 scope on it.

He said it drops about five inches from 50 yards out to 100.

Ledbetter

Okay, watch this.

This is my best-ever group with my 10/22T (home-bedded) at 100 yards.

Regards.

Attachments

• quarter2.jpg
    quarter2.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 142

Poodleshooter

I've taken shots at 2'square gongs at 300 with my .22 The drop was something like 12 ft IIRC, and "groups" were ridiculous. Some rounds would drop in the dirt, others would impact the target w/o a problem. Velocity consistency is really not a rimfire strong suit.