Long Range Scope Recommendation

ligonierbill

OK, when I change the magnification it changes the line of sight by a small angle. And first focal plane scopes minimize this. Not to worry. If I'm shooting groups at the range, my scope is at max. If I'm hunting, I sight in with the magnification I'll hunt with and leave it there. Two of my rifles have Leupold fixed 6x scopes, and I have "classic" 8X scopes on two others. But almost all scopes offered today are variables, so...yesterday I ordered a Leupold VX-3HD 4.5-14X. Six hundred bucks with a 1" tube. Thunder Valley, here I come!

MarkCO

I've been very happy with the Burris RT line. I did just put a XTRIII 3.5-18 on my Defiance .280AI. Those can be had in the $1400 range. A great option for a dual target/big game long range rig.

taylorce1

You might want to invest in a 20 MOA rail, a 1" Leupold is going to run out of verticle adjusment quickly. You'll only have 35 MOA of verticle from a centerd reticle. Leupold hunting scopes aren't known to track the best so make sure you do a "Tall Target Test", especially when you start maxing out the adjustments.

ligonierbill

I was just watching a video of a guy in Wyoming shooting at a milk jug at a measured mile. He had a 338 RUM, also in a Remington 700. Now, I don't know whose barrel he had, but they mentioned the action was trued. Bell & Carlson stock and a Sightron SIII scope. And a muzzle brake. He actually clipped the jug after several shots with help from a spotter.

Oh my, I can see a pending attack on my bank account. The little angel on my shoulder left in disgust.

Nathan

You are going to want to develop a 0.25 MOA load and rest to have much of a chance of hitting it.

Getting the rifle weight up over 50lbs helps a lot, I hear.

….and a pretty expensive optic to see it.

std7mag

I'd be willing to bet the guy had a Shilen, Kreiger, or Lilja barrel.

I just bought a Weatherby Mark V in 7mm WBY Mag.
I put an EGW one piece, 20MOA base on it.
Vortex medium rings. The base for a 9 lug Mark V is longer than my long action Savages. I usually use low rings. But the objective bell was hitting the base.
For scope i put a Burris Fullfield E1 with MOA reticle on it. 4.5-14X40
On sale right now for $169

Note, for my match shooting, i use a Sightron SIII 10-50X60 LRTD. 1/8 inch clicks. Bought used for $750
I've only had it to 50 power once. Otherwise there is too much mirage to get a proper picture.

Leupold has some decent scopes, but i feel your paying more for the name, than getting actual usable features for the price.

ligonierbill

The little angel came back and reminded me of my original objective: Get a hunting rifle that will reach 1,000 yards and hit reliably at 600. Impressive as that video was, I will not be trying any 1,760 yard shots. Yes, I know, lots of rounds will meet my objective. I have 3 others that would do well. But I "needed" this one, as in, "Hey, you don't have one of those."