Long Range Scope Recommendation

ligonierbill

Well, Shaw appears to have completed installing a 338 RUM barrel on my Rem 700. This one took "only" 4 1/2 months, not bad in today's climate. So I need a scope worthy of this artillery piece. Now, I always plan to hunt with my rifles, but the first objective of this project is long range target work. Just for fun; not planning to compete. There are a couple ranges here in Ohio, at least one of which has 1,000 yards available. What I'd most like to do, however, is get it shooting consistently at 600.

So, what do you recommend? I am not putting a price target on this, but I don't like to spend more that needed. And, yes, this gun may go elk hunting.

stagpanther

Well, Shaw appears to have completed installing a 338 RUM barrel on my Rem 700. This one took "only" 4 1/2 months, not bad in today's climate. So I need a scope worthy of this artillery piece. Now, I always plan to hunt with my rifles, but the first objective of this project is long range target work. Just for fun; not planning to compete. There are a couple ranges here in Ohio, at least one of which has 1,000 yards available. What I'd most like to do, however, is get it shooting consistently at 600.

So, what do you recommend? I am not putting a price target on this, but I don't like to spend more that needed. And, yes, this gun may go elk hunting.
Holy moly--I've waited longer than that just for a barrel--I'd say that's pretty darn quick including custom rifle work! ;)

I'd be mostly concerned that the rifle and components can absorb the hammering from a pretty big 338. I shoot a 338 lapua magnum, your's is probably pretty close to that in terms of kick. H1000 and 285 gr eldm's are wonderful in mine, I imagine might be good in a RUM as well--probably get you out MUCH further than 1,000 yds.:)

ligonierbill

Thanks for the replies. For starters, I will mount a Nikon ProStaff 4-14X, which is currently homeless. If it breaks, I will have learned something. New Weaver scopes are sold by Natchez Shooters Supply, but high magnification fixed power scopes are only available on the used market. I think they're meant as target scopes, and Leupold and others do still make similar models. I was not aware of SWFA, but if and when my Nikon dies, I will check them out.

Regards breaking stuff, the rebarreled 700 started life as a 8mm Rem Mag, not exactly a soft shooter. I have heard tales of the big 8 splitting stocks, but I've been shooting the round for a couple years without issue. Still have one, and it will come along on my long range outings. Remingtons have a reinforcing pin between the mag well and the trigger inlet, and I added a crossbolt to the RUM stock between the front action screw and the mag well. I may still buy a Bell & Carlson or competing synthetic stock. We'll see how this one does first.

44 AMP

Staff
but high magnification fixed power scopes are only available on the used market. I think they're meant as target scopes,

That's what they're intended for. High magnification fixed power scopes are meant for targets that don't move, or move much. Targets, and varmints that mostly sit still. Its mostly a field of view issue, but when you get up there in the power range, mirage and all the wobbles also get more pronounced.

Long time ago, I had a Weaver K8 with fine crosshairs, on a .22-250. IT was an outstanding rig for woodchucks and such. Putting that scope on a deer rifle would have been a waste, of both the scope, and the rifle's field potential.

Modern variable scopes are the best option and the good ones hold their performance through their power range.

If there is going to be any hunting at all with the rifle, the variable is the best option. And get into the habit of setting it on its lowest power anytime you are moving. Even if not "hunting" just moving from one spot to another in the field, set it on low before you start out. If you spot game far off you've got the time to turn it up as you aim. BUT, if the opposite happens, and that elk steps out in front of you 40yds away, and your scope is on high, all you're going to see is brown, assuming you even get on the elk before its gone...

Just something to consider....

jetinteriorguy

SWFA fixed power scopes are built like tanks. Great for the range, maybe not so much for hunting due to heavy weight. Although would be fine shooting from a stand.

std7mag

For target use, i'd look hard at a Sightron SIII 8-32 power.
If your planning on hunting with it, either a Leupold, or Burris. Probably something in the 4-16 power range.

GeauxTide

I bought a couple of Vortex Diamondback 4-16x44 30mm Scopes with the EBR-2C MOA reticle. Came with an extended screw on shade. Great quality for a great price and warranty.

Nathan

Weaver fixed power in 15x to 20x

You must of had better experiences than I…..I had a T-36…swapped it to a Sightron 45x…it’s like tuning the light on in a dark room!

For starters, I will mount a Nikon ProStaff 4-14X, which is currently homeless. If it breaks, I will have learned something.
If that works for you, sure. Right now, I would buy a Vortex PST Gen 2 5-25x. I see them in the $600-750 range.It is good enough to play at Rayners without breaking the bank.

As an aside, you have a new 338 RUM barrel that you paid big bucks for. It has a useful accuracy life under 1500 rounds. 100 to form cases, 200 or so to get a good load….I guess I’m saying I would not want to blow 500 rounds of barrel life, time and components to find out a cheaper scope has an issue.

With optics, there are things we ignore at the short range that hurt our ability to dial at longer ranges.

Nathan

No case forming for me. I'm starting with 100 new ones.

But they weren’t fired in your chamber yet, right? There will be some effect to that. Less, if you start with 338 RUM brass.

Scorch

I bought a couple of Vortex Diamondback 4-16x44 30mm Scopes with the EBR-2C MOA reticle.
Vortex Diamondback scopes are an entry-level scope. I have sent several back to Vortex for replacement because lenses came loose on 308s and 30-06 and such. I would anticipate a very short life with a 338 RUM.
Weaver fixed power in 15x to 20x
40 years or so ago, that might have been good advice, but no longer.
If there is going to be any hunting at all with the rifle, the variable is the best option
That's good advice.

There are a number of scopes that are built to take hard recoil. Find one and try it out. I have seen RUMs do well with Leupold, Nikon, upper end Vortexs, and of course Nightforce and US Optics. It's not an impossible task if you have a good budget to work with, and the internet can be your friend in finding out which scopes are built to take the recoil a RUM can dish out. If you put a good brake on that RUM you can get away with a little bit lesser scope.

Nathan

I forgot 338 RUM….I would definitely only be looking at optics with 4” of eye relief!

Last edited:

ligonierbill

Nice piece of glass, but cost is a factor, even though this whole exercise has no practical value.

That said, I did get to the range today with some 250 SGK working up to Sierra's max of 93.1 gr Ramshot Magnum. I will be buying a new scope. No, I didn't waste my Nikon, but their "predator" reticle really got on my nerves. Even so, this Shaw barrel seems to shoot very well, and I recorded 2,892 avg/11.2 std with shots falling in a small group. (Sierra got 2,850 from a 24" barrel.) I did a series of "shoot and clean" although I'm skeptical of this approach. Yes, she kicks. I should probably take the 416 out for a side-by-side comparison, but this girl rocks me back about the same.

I have yet to go wrong with Leupold, so that's what I will be looking at. Too much fun.

kilotanker22

I think Bart is referring to shifts in point of impact due to the reticle being located within the mechanism that adjusts the zoom of an optical system. This is prevalent in second focal plane optics. If he is referring to what I think he is referring to, you can eliminate this shift by employing either a first focal plane optic, or a fixed magnification optic.

kilotanker22

He could be referring to an angular Goos-Hänchen shift, but that is whole can of worms that is complex and I do not understand well enough to discuss.

I believe that the problem being discussed is a known problem with all optical systems, especially second focal plane variable optics. I think they are called Imbert-Fedorov shifts.