Long Range Pistol Shooting

Rangerrich99

Well that information would've been helpful that day. What made hitting those jug s hard was that the front sight post completely covered the jugs; I had to guess where they were behind it.

Jbar4Ranch

I killed a cow elk several years ago with a prone shot from a S&W .500 magnum at somewhere between 220 and 250 yards, according to Google Earth, as best as I can remember our relative positions.
A few years later, I killed a small 3x3 mulie with a clean head shot from a Freedom Arms .500 Wyoming Express from a prone rest over a stump at a lased 145 yards.
Both revolvers were scoped with Leupold 2x pistol scopes.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Using iron sights, I found it better to raise the front sight up and center the base in the notch than to obscure the target by keeping the top of the front sight even with the top of the rear, as in the normal sight picture. In a combat situation, of course, you would want to keep the target in sight, not obscure it/him.

Jim.

tangolima

Using iron sights, I found it better to raise the front sight up and center the base in the notch than to obscure the target by keeping the top of the front sight even with the top of the rear, as in the normal sight picture. In a combat situation, of course, you would want to keep the target in sight, not obscure it/him.

Jim.
I agree. Holding over with the target obscured is no good. Can't see the target when shooting a gun is simply not kosher.

I also use the same technique, after a few trial and error. The best is of course a rear sight with easy elevation adjustment, like the old broomhandle. But they don't make those things any more.

The rear sight top aligned with the front sight base. Keep that sight picture and 6 o'clock hold. Adjust the hold based on where the shots hit, and walk the shot from in front of the target to the target. This way the target is always in sight. If the shot still falls short when the front start to obscure the target, a new consistent sight picture is needed. To certain point, that is it. The limit has been reached.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Hawg

The rear sight top aligned with the front sight base. Keep that sight picture and 6 o'clock hold. Adjust the hold based on where the shots hit, and walk the shot from in front of the target to the target. This way the target is always in sight. If the shot still falls short when the front start to obscure the target, a new consistent sight picture is needed. To certain point, that is it. The limit has been reached.

The limit hasn't been reached until you run out of barrel. If you need to you can use a piece of tape for a sighting point.

Nathan

With a Ruger 44 mag Super Blackhawk 10.5" 4x scope, I killed a deer at 125 yds. I had been practicing regularly at 100 yds.

Hitting steel at 100 is quite possible with a little holdover....

I find that with barrels 5" and longer, this is much more realistic. I think it is sight radius more than anything.

sixgunnin

Last year I killed a 4x4 Whitetail a over 80 yards one handed with a 4 inch open sight .357, Sounds like a lucky hit? It took me two shots, He was running:)

I aimed about 2 feet above and 6 feet in front of his head, hit him in the tailbone.

Can you guys see this picture? In case you wonder the chest hit was a kill shot;)

Last edited:

tangolima

The limit hasn't been reached until you run out of barrel. If you need to you can use a piece of tape for a sighting point.
The barrel needs to taped up before hand, or the smooth barrel just lack features for consistent sight picture. Even with that, things are getting difficult. Windage alignment is tough as no light is going through the rear sight notch. The front sight and rear are farther apart.

Actually I probably didn't try hard enough.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

sixgunnin

With a Ruger 44 mag Super Blackhawk 10.5" 4x scope,
Scope??? Next thing we know we will hear a story about shooting a deer with a 20'' barrel Blackhawk equipped with 10x scope, bipod, tactical sniper grips...

T. O'Heir

The Wild Bill 75 yard shot was the result of years of daily practice by one James Butler Hickok.
"...a non magnum pistol..." Practice and knowing your firearm is required. Magnums are not required for 75 yards. Bosses son at the shop shot a .44 Charter Arms Bulldog at 100 and hit with no fuss. Had to hold about 2 feet over, as I recall. The kid was 7 at the time.

1stmar

5 shots 5 hits offhand from a para pro custom 1911 at 100 yards. Load was 3.2gr clays and 250 FN. 1 hit failed to penetrate (low right)

Attachments

• IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    159.2 KB · Views: 22

NoSecondBest

I was shooting a steel silhouette at a rifle range on day at 200 yds standing with my TC single shot 7tcu and a young man pulled in and was getting ready to shoot on the pistol range adjacent to me. He watched me shoot for a while even though I offered to stop while he set up his target. After watching me shoot about twenty rounds and get a hit percentage of around 60-70% he told me he'd just graduated from the police academy and they'd told him not to consider anyone a threat with a handgun past twenty-five yards unless they just got a "lucky" hit. He said they out to get out more. He asked if I could do that with a revolver or auto? I told him "no, my hit rate goes down to about 50-60% at that distance with the revolver". He ended up becoming the chief to a small dept. near where I live. He learned a good lesson that day.

Rangerrich99

Hmm, I guess my OP somehow sidetracked this thread a little. Guys, I never said I needed magnums to shoot 75 yards. What I said was, I didn't have any magnums to shoot. the fact is, I'm more familiar shooting magnums than I am .38s at ranges further than 20 yards. So I was just unsure exactly how much drop I'd get with those .38s. If I'd had the mags, having more experience with them, I would've aimed right at the jugs, fairly confident I'd get a hit. Anyway, sorry about sidetracking the OP a bit with the magnum thing.

On a different point, I'm getting a bit of a chuckle at how many people are so 'unimpressed with Hickok's shot. Fellas, the shot is not hitting a 'man-sized' target, or a 'torso' shot, or even a milk jug at 75 yards, or a 100 yards.

"The shot" is a single shot hit on an apple-sized target from a BP revolver, one-handed, from the draw, with someone shooting at you right before you get to pull the trigger.

rodwhaincamo

It's all good. Now I'll have to give it a try some time. However lacking precision at 1/3 of the distance might make it very challenging. But I like the info given about using the base of the front sight.

For grins I decided to enter the data for a .36 cal Navy load with a ball traveling at 1000 fps and sighted for 25 yds with a 1/2" tall sight. It drops a little over 7" at 75 yds.