Llama pistols ??? about quality and price?

insaneranger

Llama 1911 .45acp

Like others have said, Llama (pronounced Yama) made everything from junk to high quality and everywhere in between. Parts for many models are impossible to find. Luckily, I owned one that would take parts from standard 1911 pistols (except the grips). It was a Llama 1911, .45acp with brushed stainless finish, a match grade barrel, and I used Colt mags. The frame was manufactured by Beretta and it was actually extremely acurate & reliable. Beretta built some of Llama's frames and parts starting in the late 80's. The guy that owned it before me was using it as a match/target pistol. I paid $350 for it and, regretfuly, ended up selling it for $550. Even though I sold for more then I paid, I regret ever selling it. It was one of the better ones produced by Llama & a really great shooting pistol. It looks a little funny with the mounts & scope in place, but make no mistake, it was a performer.

002-1.jpg

009-1.jpg

michael t

I wouldn't give over 200 for any late model Llama . Earlier ones. My first was bought in 1967 and was a great relieable pistol 2nd early 90's a so so pistol Last one was 2003 and was total POS .

xGlockmeisterx

llama 1911 large frame 9mm

does any one know if 38 super mags will work in the 9mm llama 1911? i heard that someone only uses 38 super mags in his and he said that they are much easier to find. so i got on cdnninvesments.com and found out that he was right, they had like 7 or 8 different ones to pick from and they were cheaper than the 9mm mags. if anyone knows then please tell me, i would then have a way of getting new mags for only 12.99 a piece

.http://www.cdnninvestments.com/1938su9rdstm2.html
(the link to the 38 super mag on cdnn)

Skans

Harry Beckwith tried to sell me a Llama .45 back in 1983. At that time, I recall reading that the metal was soft and quality was inferior. Who knows where I read this. Beckwith thought they were good guns - I ended up buying a S&W 38 (Model 10, I believe). That's all I can tell you about them.

Marquezj16

Thanks for all the replies. Just to let everyone know it was a question I had when someone proposed a trade for my Weatherby Sporter last month. BTW, I did not take the trade.

shurshot

I would say he is asking 3x as much as they are worth. I have never seen any .380, 9mm or .45 Llama semi auto pistols that I would have paid more than $50.00 for. I just didn't (and don't), care for them, as they felt cheap, although a friend had one once, a .45 pistol, 1911 copy and it was very accurate. But I wouldn't buy it, as he wanted $200, which was $150 more than I valued it at, and that was 20 years ago. There are plenty who disagree and love Llama pistols. I don't. Then again, I love Taurus handguns, and many on here despise them. Many don't like Astra pistols, but one of the most accurate little 9MM's I ever shot or owned was an Astra A-80, a Sig copy. I should have kept that one too...:rolleyes: To each their own.

That being said, I WAS very impressed with a .357 Llama Commanche 6" revolver another buddy had about 25 years ago, and I DID want that one, but was broke at that time and couldn't afford it. Nice bluing, locked up tight, quite accurate... I have been keeping an eye out for another ever since.

Gorion

1970s Llama 9mm

I aquired a Llama 9mm(has 6 shot clip 1 in chamber?)in the mid to late 70s from a friend who needed the money. At the time he told me he had never shot the gun. I never shot the gun either. Over the years the gun has been my fathers possession, who also, has never shot the gun. It still has the same 3 bullets in the clip as when my friend origionally got it. My father occasionally oiled and cleaned it over the last 30 some years. So I assume it's in pretty good shape. Over the years my friend has repeatedly asked to buy it back, but I wouldn't sell. Now I'm the one who needs the money. He offered me 475.00 to get back. Should I jump on it or does he know something I don't.
Thanks

larryh1108

I love the Llama pistols. Some swear by them and some swear at them. Llama had good periods and bad periods but in the day, they were the cheaper end 1911s. I own around 15 Llamas and owned as many as 20-25 at one time. All of them work fine but I also work on pistols so that may have something to do with it.

I also stock Llama parts. Someone asked for Llama 9mm mags. I do have several. The Llama .380 with the locked breech is truly a miniature 1911 and is a nice, little gun. In the 70's Llama changed to a blowback design on the .380s.

Llama made a lot of .38Super and 9mm Largo guns for the European market. They were very nice guns for that period. They prefer the hotter European ammo to function at their best. Don't knowck them unless you've owned them. They are a lot nicer than you've heard though they did make more than their fair share of lemons.

Llama's last gasp was their Max series. These were the closest to the 1911 design. I have a full size one in 9mm that is incredibly nice, accuare and reliable. They also came in .40S&W and .45ACP on their full size frames. Their sub-compact Warthog type .45 was a roughly made gun and is a hit or miss gun. The small frame .32, .380 and .22LR Max series are also nice pistols for the money.

Llama's best offerings were their Especial models. They seemed to be the best made and highest quality. They were mainly made in the 60s and are worth more than the other lines produced later. Their .22LR Especial is also a miniature 1911 but is a blowback design but it looks and feels like a 1911.

Llamas usually sell for around $250-$300 and a little more for the Especial line and the really nice .22LRs get up to near $400. They are nice, attractive and fun little 1911s. If you collect 1911s then you should have a few Llama Especials in your collection, especially the small frames.

Llama22ELeft1.jpg

Llama22right3.jpg

LlamaMMleft1.jpg

Llamamax1left4.jpg

Llama92toneleft2.jpg

madcratebuilder

Those are nice looking Especial models, I don't read much about these. I picked up a like new .32acp years ago. I did a little work with the extractor and it's been a very reliable shooter.

Not sure if the born on date for this one. 1960's I think:confused:
llama02.jpg

llama01.jpg

The size and weight make it a dandy carry piece.

larryh1108

Mad, by your serial# your Llama was made around 1951. It's a beautiful and valuable (for Llama) pistol. There should be a date code by the left trigger guard. a 1951 would have a letter V or X if it was 1952. Beautiful Llama!

Sher Khan

I have a Llama XA in .32 ACP that a relative gave me. It was in its original box, and I doubt it had been fired more than a few times. I got a few extra mags for it before Llama (which means "flame", not the animal) went out of business. It's reliable and fairly accurate, and looks like a miniature 1911. It mostly sits in my gun safe because it doesn't fit any of my current interests. I guess that's what happens when you "accrue", rather than "collect"....

Maequez116:

When I sold guns during the 1970's and the 1980's I steared my customers away form purchasing Llama pistols. They had a well earned bad reputation: mainly they jammed a lot.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery sergeant
Clifford L Hughes
USMC Retired

cookie5

I had 2 Llama 380s with the locking barrel like a 1911" I bought them around 1977" they were not really bad though the springs were weak. I sold them 2 years ago and there are way better pistols for the $$$.

gyvel

The last Llama I sold was a NIB hi-cap .45; I got $300.00 for it.

The problem with late model Llamas is that they have two piece slides. The recoil spring tunnel is silver soldered into mortises in the slide. If that solder joint breaks, you essentially have an old Colt 1902 slide in your forehead.

I had a Llama that was made in 1940 that was a decent enough gun, and I still have a small frame .22 that is reliable enough, but the accuracy is mediocre at best.