Llama pistols ??? about quality and price?

Marquezj16

I have never seen one. Only read about them in forums. Mixed reviews. A guy is offering a trade for a rifle. He has a NIB 9mm and used .45 in good condition. His price is around $500-600 for each. I think its overinflated.
What is the market price for them?
How reliable are they?
After market support?

Thanks in advance.

Neatfreak

yes I've shot a few Llama's

While I have shot a few Llama's, I passed on buying them because Spain was their factory and sales. There was an importer but I never could get through to them on the phone and they never replied to my emails. I loved the feel of the weapons, however, but looked them up and noticed prices were about what a comparable taurus was. I'll repeat I liked the guns, just couldn't seem to locate parts or service for them. Just my 2 cents and I would urge ya to get alot of imput before letting go of your hard earned cash.

Walt Sherrill

Some of the older Llama, especially those imported by Stoeger in the 60s-70s, were well made and quality weapons. As the years progressed, and Spain was undergoing a lot of economic problems, a number of Spanish gun makers started having problem, and some of the quality dropped.

I had a very nice Llama 1911 in 9mm. Heavy, shot very well, and was well made. Most of it was correct 1911, but when I needed to get a broken hammer hook replaced, standard GI parts didn't work. (It came to me that way.) My gunsmith installed a new Ed Brown Hammer and another maker's SEAR, both standard 1911, and the gun was fine -- but neither would work with the other stock Llama part. I don't know if anything else was not standard.

I'd buy another one like that -- but would be shy about buying some made from 1990-on. I'd at least get someone to look it over who knew something about guns, before buying.

The prices you quoted seem VERY high, to me. $350 - $400 would be more like what I've seen over the years.

yustinus1973

First off its good to see your interested in Spanish pistols. I my self, love Spanish made weapons. I have had a number of them, from different manufacturers, pistols and rifles, over the years. Although i have never had a Llama, iv looked at some, and shot one of them before, and came very close to getting one at onetime or another.

Marquezj16 said:
What is the market price for them?
you would have to let us know what kind of Llama pistols they were specifically. Llama made a lot of different 9mms and .45s. As for his price being overinflated, at $500-$600 for each, to me yes his price is very inflated. If they are just standard models not customized, then $500-$600 for both sounds more like it to me. Check Gun Broker to get a better idea of prices for Llamas.

Marquezj16 said:
How reliable are they?
Well you are right about the reviews being mixed. Llama had quality control issues it seems, some pistols are just fine and some not so much, it is a mixed bag. If you can try them out before you buy, that would be a very good idea. If they function properly when you try them, then maybe you got some good ones. But it seems to me that reliability is on a pistol to pistol basis with Llamas.

Marquezj16 said:
After market support?
There is not any to speak of Llama, and the co-operative that bought its holdings in 2000, went out of business in 2005. Other than some things like mags and holsters, no one really makes anything for them any more, what parts are out there is all thats left. But its that way with most Spanish pistols, witch has not discouraged me from owning them.

Not to dissuade you form getting the Llamas. But i would recommend if you are interested in a Spanish made pistol, to try a STAR iv had a few of them and they are very good pistols. Good prices, very good reliability, good reviews, about the same as the Llamas when it comes to after market support. Try a STAR and try those Llamas if you can, you mite really like Spanish pistols after you do. Hope this all helps.

Last edited:

Japle

Llama quality has varied from very good to horrible.

A customer brought me a Llama .45 back in the mid 1970s. The quality was just awful. The sear and disconnector seemed to have been filed by hand by a drunk. The gun would fire with the safety on or off, with the grip safety depressed or not and would even fire when it was out of battery.

Check the gun out carefully.

m.p.driver

Have had Llama's,Stars,and Astra's in everything from .32acp to .44 mag and on the whole they were serviceable weapons.Would i give over $300 for any of them?NO. On some models the metal is softer so expect wear.Parts for some are hard to come by,and although it may look like a 1911,1911 parts wont fit.

Marquezj16

Thanks for the input everyone. This was a proposed trade for my Weatherby Vanguard Sporter. I don't think I will take this trade as the pistols have no aftermarket support and the questionable realiability. Plus if something goes wrong, I'll be on my own as no one will be honoring a warranty.

Thanks again.

shortwave

Weatherby Vanguard Sporter for two Llama Pistols? :eek:

Don't you dare do that.

IMO, $300-$325 would be top $ for two of the best, NIB Llama models ever made.

Martowski

Good call. My father had a Llama large frame .45 purchased in the 80's. It was an okay "shooter" but I traded it off w/ some cash for a Kimber. No comparison.

The Llama is a pretty cheap, budget auto that may or may not work.

44 AMP

Staff
If you'll trade any Weatherby for a pair of Llamas, contact me, I have some bridges for sale, cheap!

Had a couple of Llamas in the mid 80s. The auto was the .45 with the tiny vent rib (don't remember the model name) , and the other was a Comanche .357.

The .357 would reliably fire 4 rounds from each cylinder full. But not the same 4 rounds each time!:eek:

The auto would extract and eject 3-4 cases from each magazine of 7. The other 3-4 you had to drop the mag and cycle the slide a few times to get them out.

Traded them to a tinkerer friend who knew what he was getting. Since then, the only Llama-ish thing in my house is an alpaca wool poncho the wife has. It actually works!;)

HisSoldier

I love 1911's, and if you want a 1911 in .380 there is really only one choice, the Llama. Llama is very close to a 2/3 size 1911, the only differences being the raised rib and the external extractor. The Colt Gov't .380 looks very similar but is nothing like a 1911 internally.

its hit or miss... depends on what day of the week it was made lol... I can tell you the one based on the beretta 92 (model 82 and model 87) is a great shooter but if you break anything you're gonna learn to be a machinist fast. the ones that are based on 1911s have a decent supply of parts available. its hit or miss and the price he is selling at is way over market value unless one is an 87... they sell for about 650-700 on gun broker

300-350 for the 1911 framed pistols is a fair price but you get what you pay for. the best models were the ones built with the locking block similar to the beretta. a mint condition model 87 has a book value of 950 and can be found for around 700 on gunbroker when they actually do pop up. the biggest problem is finding parts.

mkk41

Those I own several Star and Astra pistols , I'd never consider owning another Llama. Their quality is worse that Taurus.

Pilot

I've owned a little Llama IIIa for many years. It is the small 1911 style .380. It is a reliable little gun, and I use to carry it from time to time. It has never failed me, and is reasonable accurate for its size. I really wanted one in .22, but found the .380 several years ago, used and bought it. It is a Stoeger import, probably from the 70's, as it is the blowback version, not the locked breech.

xGlockmeisterx

llama 1911 large frame 9mm

if anyone has any mags that hold 9 rounds of 9mm, a set of wrap around pachmayr grips, or any other spare parts i need some.

the grips are a little nicked up and only have one mag for it. i do know that others have said that midway had some grips but i have not found any on their site.

mine works great we have had around 800 rounds through mine in the past 2-3 years and we have not had many problems out of it. there were just a couple FTE and FTF in this particular gun, and that's just because of a low amount of oil was on it, and it is surprisingly accurate. shooting fist sized groups at 20 yards free shooting not rest shooting. i like mine but do not know how any other works, this is the only llama i've owned.