Llama Parabellum 9mm disassembles when firing

Gbrowning89

Hello Firing line enthusiasts!
I recently inherited from my grandfather a Llama Parabellum 9mm. After a good cleaning and reassembly, I fired a round through it and, voila, the slide components completely disassembled. The plug, recoil spring, and bushing shoot out and land 5 yards away. Another part that flies off is located on the front of the slide, not sure of its nomenclature, as everywhere I've searched just says slide. It's the part that the nurled end of the recoil spring plug rest against..

I have noticed (for what its worth) that while I had the gun disassembled, the barrel doesnt have a locking lug mechanism.

I know the gun is cheap. And I should get a better one. I just want grandpas gun in working order. Thanks for any and all help.

Bart Noir

Welcome to The Firing Line.

That is an interesting post, and from the details I believe you are describing a Llama near-copy of the Colt 1911 pistol. But I can't figure out that 4th fly-off-the-gun part. It is the bushing which locks in the spring plug, on the 1911.

Llama is not something I know much about. But I know they made smaller blow-back pistols in .32 and .380 calibers. Your mention of no locking mechanism hints that you have one of those. So the barrel is never locked to the slide.

Yet you say 9mm Para. Are you meaning that is marked on the slide? Then it is not a blow-back.

Pictures would help.

Bart Noir

Bill DeShivs

I believe the later Llamas just used the squared off chamber as the locking "lug."
Sounds like the barrel bushing is stripped. The part should be available from one of the used parts suppliers.

DaleA

I know the gun is cheap. And I should get a better one.

Well hold on there! IMhO Llama was a respectable manufacturer and produced good quality firearms. Certainly NOT "Saturday Night Specials".

That said, I doubt anybody on this forum would tell you NOT to buy another gun...that's kind of what we do here.

Welcome to the forum, good luck and that Llama might surprise you once you get it sorted out.

Pops1085

That third picture is interesting . Can you take another photo of that weird piece that the plug sits next to and have it next to just the slide (as in the slide off the frame) it kind of looks like the dust cover sheered off. I’ve never seen one as a separate piece.

Or just show us the slide by itself without that extra piece.

Last edited:

Pops1085

My guess is the barrel link broke and the front dust cover on the slide sheared off sending the spring, plug, and guide rod flying off. Maybe the barrel link wasn’t there to begin with but assembled the barrel is sitting too far forward.

rock185

The Llama looks to me like a straight blowback pistol. No link, no locking lugs. Front of chamber is tapered, and does not look to be designed to lock into the forward edge of the ejection port, etc. I never considered Llamas to be 1911 clones, but did assume that 9mm and up would be locked breech. Doesn't look like it to me........ymmv

Walt Sherrill

My guess is the barrel link broke and the front dust cover on the slide sheared off sending the spring, plug, and guide rod flying off. Maybe the barrel link wasn’t there to begin with but assembled the barrel is sitting too far forward.

The slide in the photo is pulled a bit to the rear, the slide is not in battery, and the hammer seems to be partially cocked (maybe resting on the safety notch?)

As already suggested, maybe the barrel bushing is damaged? Or the slide stop isn't installed properly?

Here's a link to a bunch of gun manuals, including the Llama Max-I, (Maxi in the list) which was available in 9mm and .45. It doesn't use a barrel link. If there was a barrel link you should see a cross piece in the barrel lug or an opening for one, and I don't see either.

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIREARMS/

Ibmikey

PThe slide is a two piece affair that some genius at Llama dreamed up and readily identified by the lack of a cove cut at the muzzle end. The piece in question if I remember correctly slides into place in a groove and then soldered in place. I have seen several that did not hold and “disassembled” by its self, the piece can be silver soldered back In place but a better option is to check with Gun Parts Corp and buy a stripped slide and rebuild to a proper shooter.
This was not Llamas best era of manufacturing

DnPRK

The Llama slide consists of two pieces which are brazed together. The braze has failed, causing the piece which holds the part of the slide which retains the spring plug to fall off. A gunsmith should be able to re-braze the slide pieces. Or you can often find Llama 9mm slides on eBay.

You might also be able to fit a Clark reverse recoil spring plug to the Llama. That would take all the stress off the barrel bushing and distribute it around that brazed-in piece.

tangara

Wow I have a dozen Llama's and none of them are like this. I was aware that Llama made a mini 1911 .380 blow back and the barrel posted on this thread resembles the .380 blow back barrel. I never knew they made a 9mm one. Is there a possibility that this is a .380 blow back barrel placed in a 1XA and shot that way?

kenny53

First thing I noticed was the lack of the barrel link. I had a Llama 1911, 45acp. It was a good gun. I don't believe I ever had a failure. I could out shoot my buddy and his Kimber. Gbrowning89, I don't know how familiar with the 1911 but talk to somebody that may be able to help you. Check some You Tube videos. At this point
I would find a good gunsmith and let him take a look.

I found a manual where the parts breakdown looks like your pictures. View attachment llama_9mm_parabellum.pdf

Last edited: