Liquid ALOX notions

mehavey

"Real" ALOX is considered for practical purposes to be LEE ALOX.** See also https://leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/90177.pdf
50/50 is the "NRA Formula" which is for all intents = LA + Beeswax.

I use both, under very specific (and successful) conditions.

Wiped-on/dried in warm oven. Not "tumbled"
Lyman-Gould-ALOX.jpg

dahermit

"Real" ALOX is considered for practical purposes to be LEE ALOX.** See also https://leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/90177.pdf
50/50 is the "NRA Formula" which is for all intents = LA + Beeswax.
I disagree...if I remember correctly, NRA formula Alox predates the Lee product which is an Alox product adulterated with a solvent to turn it into a liquid. The NRA formula used Alox (a type of grease, not liquid Alox), mixed with Bee's Wax which is a bullet lubricant in its own right.
Therefore, if the NRA 50/50 formula came first, it is the real Alox.
The NRA formula 50/50 used today however, is not the original Alox...which was discontinued years ago and replaced with another Alox grease product...I do not remember the numbers...Alox 235F or something like that.

mehavey

Again, see the datasheet for LLA.
Lubrizol ALOX 606-55, AF1761 in a solvent
What remains after drying is the Lubrizol

http://www.lasc.us/lubeingredients.htm
Gives the 2138 -- which no longer exists as such.

See also http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?354794-BLL-or-Alox-as-a-Rust-Preventative

Lee Liquid Alox is small bottles packaged by Lee of something produced in bulk by Lubrizol, Inc. as a commercial antirust coating called Alox 606-55. Lubrizol's site describes it thusly:

ALOX 606 — Hard film, high melt point, calcium soap, long-term outdoor protection
ALOX 606-55 — Solvent cutback of ALOX 606 calcium soap, 55% active

(Think of the materials Ziebart uses.)
So I'm coating my bore every time I shoot with a heavy duty rust inhibitor!

If you really want to get Dyslexia, see here:
https://castbulletassoc.org/uploads/newpdf/cblube2016.pdf

Personally it's either Lyman "ALOX Lube" (50-50) in a lubrisizer, or wiped-on ALOX 606/Lee

See pp 13+
https://www.slideshare.net/lota123/...bitorsanindustrialguide2ndedeflicknoyes1993ww

P Flados

I use Powder coat when needed (9mm, full power and mid range magnum loads, rifle loads, etc.).

I also shoot tumble lube target loads. Probably close to 50% of the ammo I fired in the last year has been tumble lubed.

Tumble lube is just so easy and fast for a big batch of bullets. I use it for any load I can where I still get zero lead accumulation. For now, this is 38 specials, 38 special +p power level rounds in 357s cases, 45 ACP, and light loaded 32s.

I do not use the Lee product as is. I mix it with with Johnson One Step no buff floor wax to create a product called BLL. If you do not want to mix your own, I think that White Label makes and equivalent product.

With BLL, the exposed portion of the bullet is not nearly as sticky / gummy.

Gster

Lundmark Liquid Wax is the replacement for Johnsons. I still have 3 1/2 cans of the Johnsons left so I haven't had to try it yet. I use the 60/40 mixture and it works great.

This is the new formula for Lundmarks liquid floor wax.
30% LLA or Xlox /30% Lundmark Liquid Wax /40% Mineral Spirits.

I roll my G/c'ed 300 Savage tumble lube casts in Alox. I also found a tumbled coat of Alox on some Paper Patched cast quite often are very accurate not being re-sized what-so-ever. Yes Sir's. Some instances >Fat bullets Rule.
So gents ~~~"I would rather go with what I know."
At my age re-investing in powder coating tools? Not a good investment as the cost of would likely takes years of use to recoup ($). And I suspect in time such Powder coating tools will end up in a dumpster where as I can't say the same for a forged RCBS Lube-sizer II w/a draw full of lightly used Fl & Sb re-sizer dies. Every re-loader worth his salt should always be on the scout for a working Lube-Resizer. Just ask Beagle 333 how many Lube-resizers he has?
_________________"That's my story & I'm sticking to it! " :D

dahermit

Powder coating tools = A toaster oven bought at a second hand store for $10, a #5 plastic container (salvaged from the garbage after eating the CoolWhip), some airsoft BB's. I used up my entire lifetime savings.

Chainsaw.

See Im on the other end of the spectrum from dahermit in powder coating investment, I popped for the $12 toaster oven and a three pack of NEW tupperware AND the $3 bag of pony beeds at Michaels. That was a solid $20 day.

Beagle333

Just ask Beagle 333 how many Lube-resizers he has?

I have 10 lubesizers. :) And none of them are for sale. ;) But I'm not giving up my PC equipment either. I have two sprayguns, one HF and one Caswell.

I think that PC, tumble lubes, and lubesizer grease will all keep my guns from leading up if applied properly. It just depends on which one you like to use and in my case.... the weather. I do my PC'ing outdoors and so I have to lubesize if the weather isn't warm and dry.
I do use quite a good bit of BLL (alox- floor wax base tumble lube) too. It would probably handle everything I shoot, but I just like using my sizers and also like the PC colors.

Grey_Lion

I popped for the $12 toaster oven and a three pack of NEW tupperware AND the $3 bag of pony beeds at Michaels. That was a solid $20 day.

See Chainsaw Splurge!

Splurge Chainsaw Splurge!!! - hehehehe

I didn't even buy the airsoft beads and the toaster > that my wife exiled from the kitchen counter..... nab!

I blew $9 at Harbor Freight for red & yellow thus far......

Chainsaw.

Gey Lion, Im sure you already know but get some powder from Smoke over on cast boolits. Its far superior to HF power for coating bullets. His purchasing is done through pay pal so its a little odd, he might accept money orderes and..? Eastwood powders are a solid second choice.

Grey_Lion

I've heard of Smoke's PC supplies and intend to go that route right after I've used up the HF stuff I have on hand.

These are my first trial steps into the world of powder coated ammo - just trying to make my first mistakes on the cheap as I build experience.......

LOLBELL

I can’t bring my self to break out tubes of “red lipstick” to load in my revolvers whenever other men are around. Y’all PC all you want, I have no problem with a Lyman 450 or Ben’s Johnson Wax and Alex formula.

USSR

I can’t bring my self to break out tubes of “red lipstick” to load in my revolvers whenever other men are around. Y’all PC all you want, I have no problem with a Lyman 450 or Ben’s Johnson Wax and Alex formula.

:D Ditto.

Don

Elkins45

Lundmark Liquid Wax is the replacement for Johnsons. I still have 3 1/2 cans of the Johnsons left so I haven't had to try it yet. I use the 60/40 mixture and it works great.

This is the new formula for Lundmarks liquid floor wax.
30% LLA or Xlox /30% Lundmark Liquid Wax /40% Mineral Spirits.
The first attempt to modify the LLA I recall was 45/45/10, also called Recluse lube after the inventor's Cast Bolts username. It was 45% LLA, 45% cooked down Johnson's Paste Wax and 10% mineral spirits. I like it just as well as BLL and all the ingredients are still easily available.

I have all the stuff to powder coat but haven't done it yet. I'm still experimenting with the Hi Tek coating.

USSR

I recently bought White Label Lube's 45-45-10. Have yet to use it, but have found their other lubes to be great.

Don

Chainsaw.

Ya dont HAVE to use red!!!!

There’s pinks, and purples, yellow, and fun blu....hey where’s everyone going!?